overall

RATINGS: 1605   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

mjg74 (3151) - La Mesa, California, USA - MAY 24, 2005
Bomber. Pours a dark amer color with a small foamy head. Aroma pretty much only consists of hops. Smells really bitter and piney. Lots of bitterness. A little like grapefruit. Some malt and a touch of alcohol towards the end. Slight waming effect.

FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 20, 2005
Auburn amber color, medium frothy white head lingers somewhat. Rich cascade type citrus hop aromatics. Cascade citrus and resin flavors dominate most of the experience, with large malty notes coming through slightly after the nose. Malt also make a more evident appearance as it warms. Mouthfeel is very sticky and full.

Arayaga2 (2218) - portland, Oregon, USA - MAY 18, 2005
Nice reddish orange looking brew with biggish white bubbles. It’s got a tangeriney smell and a grapefruity taste and afterhoppiness that lingers on the lips for minutes after consumption. ($4.95/22oz)

Beaver (1828) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAY 17, 2005
22 oz bottle. Pours a copper-orange with a good sized rocky off-white head that stays creamy the whole way down and leaves a wall of lacing.

The aroma is sweet malts and grapefruits and earthy spicy piney hops with some sour woody and leather notes.

The flavor is sweet and fruity (melon) caramel malts with a decent bitter hop finish that lingers in the aftertaste. I remember this being more bitter, but my palate has probably changed quite a bit since I last has this. As is, I find it very nicely balanced. The alcohol is dangerously well hidden. It’s medium bodied, a little on the watery side, yet still smooth.

Overall, an excellent brew! I would say it’s more of an American Strong (like Arrogant Bastard) than Barleywine. But however it’s classified, it is yummy! I’ll be coming back to this in the future.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - MAY 16, 2005
I had a stiff neck today all day and it was really hurting tonight so what could I find in the cellar that might help that.. This big beer looked like the answer so I gave it a try.. Pours ruby red with a beautiful IPA like offwhite head that threatens to overflow the glass then settles back and laces the glass like a spiderweb. Nice sweet malt aroma as well as some beautiful hops blend together to make this smell delicious. I could tell right away this was going to be better than the other barley wines that I had tasted prior. The taste is sticky sweet malts some cloves caramel and even a touch of citrus from the hops. The balance on this one is amazing. I could not detect the alcohol until I was finished then I knew how much it had in it.. The malts and hops do an amazing job of disguising it though. On the palate it is very full bodied and almost sticky sweet inside my mouth. Malty and heavy yet smooth and creamy from the hoppy head. Very balanced and sooo smooth for a barley wine. I was beginning to wonder if I didn’t like this style, but this one turned me into a believer. A very good brew.. It also made the pains in my neck drift away quite nicely!

jmcguire1969 (162) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - MAY 9, 2005
This is a great beer. This seems more like a double IPA rather than a barley wine....BTW this is much better than the Avery DIPA’s they’ve put out (11 and Maharaja). A heavy malt aroma but your hit with a truckload of hop flavor and bittering when you sip this one. A great example of balance between the malt. hops and alcohol...this is a pretty big beer but you’ll find your self taking big satisfying swigs of this one.

Tejas (1007) - Dallas, Texas, USA - MAY 7, 2005
Lightest color BW I’ve seen. Little head. BIG hoppy aroma as soon as bottle was popped!! Syrupy, but sweetness was covered up nicely by the big hoppy flavor. I really like this one b/c it’s different from other BWs. Very tasty. Glad it’s available year ’round; goes into the regular rotation.

Palidor19 (3193) - Brandon, Florida, USA - MAY 3, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2007 Be warned, this is not for a beginner. At first smell, traces of Grapefruit, and caramel. At first sip, taste of cloves, grapefruit, and caramel. The hops overpower your taste buds and the malt is very noticeable. A strong beer, drink it slowly and savor it

entertheiceman (242) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 3, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 23, 2006 Floral hops, caramel, and some fruit in the aroma. Sweet and fairly soft in the mouth, full bodied, mollases, and a strong bitterness. Nice alcohol warming. Fairly bitter this barleywine is a good example of the hop forward American style.

Kinnaj15 (275) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - MAY 1, 2005
Dark golden with small head. Hop, citrus, grass in the aroma. Soft bitter sweet taste with lots of hop in the dry aftertaste.