overall

RATINGS: 1613   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.81/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lovers delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Gachupines (1252) - USA - JAN 20, 2005
Nice body and appearance. Head is thick but did not really linger as I drank the beer. Taste is full bodies and malty but with a fairly strong hop aftertaste. Definitely attains more character as it warms.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JAN 15, 2005
Dark orange slightly cloudy with sharp hop aroma. First taste is dry and malt , withsome hop sneaking in. This is a little to fizzy to drink fast, still very enjoyable. the after taste is very hoopy anfd flora.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - JAN 10, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 10, 2005 Pours a deep garnet, with a rather thin beige head and exhibits decent lacing. Nose is floral, citrusy hops, with hints of malt. Initial taste is more malt and somewhat sweet, the top light, the finish is quite hoppy. I like this a lot, but it doesnt strike me like other good barley wines do. While Im not slamming it (cause I wouldnt ever pass a glass of it up!), I dont think it measures well against my favorite barley wines. Still yummy.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - JAN 9, 2005
bottle. I shared this big bottle with my best friend who works for a company called GenetiPork. Hog Heaven - GenetiPork, gotta love the irony. poured a copper color without much head. first sip was very hoppy, but became smoother as I worked my way down the glass. strong but very drinkable.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - JAN 8, 2005
UPDATED: NOV 4, 2005 Very hoppy beer with a nice amber red appearence. Aroma of hops. Excellent example of a good barely wine.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
boto (2152) - Granby, Connecticut, USA - JAN 8, 2005
22oz. bomber: Ive had this one hanging around for about 10 months now, so I figured it was time to give it a shot. There is somewhat of a ruby tint to the amber color. It is a touch hazy. Mine had a large off-white head that subsided quickly. The aroma is nice. There is the typical malty sweetness, but there are definitely notes of hops here. Mainly grapefruit to the nose, but also some grassiness. Tastes good. A rich malty sweet body, but the sweetness is nicely balanced by the hops. Slight taste of grapefruit and a hint of bitterness too. Very nice!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Bottle: Beautiful ruby amber color with a thick, small tan head. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, very slick & oily feel. Aroma: lots of fresh hops, fruit, grass, spicy alcohol, and some mild bread/caramel. Taste: fresh hops, grass, vegitables, spicy alcohol, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and a mild wood/caramel note. Not very balanced, but still well done.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
A BAHLEY-wine for New Years. Split bottle 3 ways. Kind of sharp from the alcohol, maybe this was a young bottle. Really good stuff though

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Pailhead. Copper colored. Sparse off-white head. Decent flavors of fruit and caramel. Lots of residual sugar. Good balance of hops, although not as hoppy as West coast BWs. Alcohol is hidden well. Solid.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 1, 2005
12oz bottle around 3 years old...Still has a big Columbus nose though...which Im not so sure I like. Pungent. like overripe tangerines in the supermarket florescent. Columbus really seems phenolic to me, band-aid, solvent slightly. This has been my homebrweing experience with it as well....maybe they just need to "blow off" a bit, it does mellow as it breathes. Strong melanoidinal malt character pervades the hop onslaught. Another Columbus thing(when heavily used) is when I burp, I taste vegetables, like carrots and steamed brocoli. Wierd. Big, thick beer. The more I drink BWs, the more I dont care for the thick, syrupy feel of many. This truly rates low for "drinkability" which is a term I hate!! But its tough to drink. It tastes allright, though. At some point, I loved BWs, as evidenced by over 2 dozen in my cellar. Now Im wishing Id have bought Dupont or De Ranke instead. Maybe it is only this beer or just my mood after having drank a St. B tripel, but this isnt the grand night cap I had desired. Instead, Im choking it down. I know that recently, I adored a Rogue 2000 Old Crusty as a nightcap and my previous tries with this beer lead me to believe that while it may fit the description of BW perfectly, the pudding is lacking something.