overall

RATINGS: 1610   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

BuckNaked (1230) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Bottle: Beautiful ruby amber color with a thick, small tan head. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation, very slick & oily feel. Aroma: lots of fresh hops, fruit, grass, spicy alcohol, and some mild bread/caramel. Taste: fresh hops, grass, vegitables, spicy alcohol, citrus, pine, grapefruit, and a mild wood/caramel note. Not very balanced, but still well done.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
A BAHLEY-wine for New Years. Split bottle 3 ways. Kind of sharp from the alcohol, maybe this was a young bottle. Really good stuff though

11026 (1772) - Alabama, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Bottle courtesy of Pailhead. Copper colored. Sparse off-white head. Decent flavors of fruit and caramel. Lots of residual sugar. Good balance of hops, although not as hoppy as West coast BW’s. Alcohol is hidden well. Solid.

mdi (573) - Nebraska, USA - JAN 1, 2005
12oz bottle around 3 years old...Still has a big Columbus nose though...which I’m not so sure I like. Pungent. like overripe tangerines in the supermarket florescent. Columbus really seems phenolic to me, band-aid, solvent slightly. This has been my homebrweing experience with it as well....maybe they just need to "blow off" a bit, it does mellow as it breathes. Strong melanoidinal malt character pervades the hop onslaught. Another Columbus thing(when heavily used) is when I burp, I taste vegetables, like carrots and steamed brocoli. Wierd. Big, thick beer. The more I drink BWs, the more I don’t care for the thick, syrupy feel of many. This truly rates low for "drinkability" which is a term I hate!! But its tough to drink. It tastes allright, though. At some point, I loved BWs, as evidenced by over 2 dozen in my cellar. Now I’m wishing I’d have bought Dupont or De Ranke instead. Maybe it is only this beer or just my mood after having drank a St. B tripel, but this isn’t the grand night cap I had desired. Instead, I’m choking it down. I know that recently, I adored a Rogue 2000 Old Crusty as a nightcap and my previous tries with this beer lead me to believe that while it may fit the description of BW perfectly, the pudding is lacking something.

badgerben (5380) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Dark red color with no head. Slight barley aroma and taste. A little bit of fruit in the taste, mixed in with some bread and yeast. It didn’t seem like it was too well mixed together yet. Some time would probably do this well.

SkyinBrian (430) - Saint Louis, Missouri, USA - DEC 27, 2004
candy apple red. hoppy nose, some carmel. this full bodied brews is smooth and warming and quite bitter.

NobleSquirrel (3439) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 24, 2004
Nice deep red color with sticky lacing. Smell is definitely hops and some sweetness. The taste is excellent, the epitome of west coast B-wine. This and Bigfoot are neck and neck in that respect. This, however, offered more complexity, with fruity esters coming through the bitterness. Huge malt to back up the 100IBUs. A damn fine B-wine, one I’ll have again for sure. Too bad they only have bombers, though...

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Pours a nice golden amber with small patches of foam floating about. Aroma is very hoppy and piney, reminding me of an I2PA. Hell, this would be a better double IPA than some others I’ve had! Flavor is very hoppy, with big citrus and pine flavors and a chewy malt backbone. Finishes dry and sticky. Good!

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Red/Brown Coloring with White Bubbly Head. Alcohol and Bread Dough Aroma. Malt...Hops...Very Dry with Big Warming....Not Exactly What I was Expecting From Hog Heaven.. Seemed a Bit Raw. I’ll try it Down the Road for Sure.

goldtwins (4319) - Nesconset, New York, USA - DEC 21, 2004
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2008 Poured a light ruby color. Aroma was strong. Of grapefruit, raisins, pine, and brown sugar. Flavor starts sweet and malty which quickly turns to citrus flavors and a hop bitterness back bone. Nice warming sensation. Medium bodied.

Tap @ 2007 Strong Ale Fest. Called Uberschwein. The aroma was great with huge fresh pine and citrus. It got a 9 for that. The flavor also had some nice fresh hop notes.