overall

RATINGS: 1627   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.8/5   IBU: 100   EST. CALORIES: 276   ABV: 9.2%
This dangerously drinkable garnet beauty is a hop lover’s delight. The intense dry-hop nose and the alcohol content are perfectly balanced for a caramel candy-like malt finish. This is a serious beer for serious beer afficionados and it only gets better with age. Cellarable for 3 years.

ante (3373) - Stockholm, SWEDEN - SEP 24, 2004
Dark amber, small white head. Big piney and grapefuity aroma with a wonderfull soft notes of dark dried friot and spices. Lot’s of american hops in flavour, mostly grapefruit with notes of dark plums, sweeet raisin and honey. Citrousy and piney finish with a good alcoholic kick.

SDalkoholic (2393) - Linda Vista, California, USA - SEP 23, 2004
UPDATED: SEP 24, 2004 Identical to a IPA for sure. Beautiful leather brown and a head that gets decapitated in a matter of minutes. Hoppy aroma and extremely bitter. Tangerine flavor with some fruit citrus in the background. Maybe some Caramel or syrup? Dry finish leaving a strong odor of booze on me and my breath

calicool (16) - Keller, Texas, USA - SEP 18, 2004
Strong brew, but it really does remind me more of an IPA. It’s not your typical extreme hopped beer, but it’s not your typical barleywine either. Overall, it’s very pleasing, kind of salty tasting, and the taste lingers. I likes!

Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - SEP 12, 2004
Hops, hops and more hops. A great beer for hopheads looking for a big rich brew, however not exactly a typical barleywine. It doesn’t have the ripe dark fruit presence that I find in most BW’s, but since this isn’t a rating to style, high marks across the board!

DocLock (10689) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 8, 2004
First of all, let me say that as a barleywine I give this a 3.8. As a beer in its own right, I give it a 4.2. It really is much more of an IPA or I2PA than a barleywine. Pours copper/slight ruby at the edges with a medium white head. Aroma of malt, dark fruit, pear, apple, cognac, iced tea, hops. Tastes very fruity, malty, with hops and a finishing hoppy sweetness. Palate is very smooth.

igel (196) - New Mexico, USA - SEP 3, 2004
Pours a copper/red color with low effervescence, and a golden/yellow head (with very low retention). Lacing is sticky and moves slow. The aroma is of hops!, with a fruity background and a hint of caramel. The taste has a slightly sweet start, with a quick dry middle and lasting hop bitterness at the finish. The Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy at the start with low CO2 and a residual hop bite that remains on the palate. Hops, hops, hops. This brewing company boasts of having a beer with 100IBU?s. Dude! I just don?t get the attraction to such an overdose.

ElGaucho (2401) - Minnetonka, Minnesota, USA - SEP 3, 2004
Hoppy aroma. Smells like an IPA; pine & sneakers. Hazy but mostly clear amber body, which is a bit odd for a Bwine. Most of the Bwines I have had are a lot murkier. Small, off-white ehad. Nice, scattered lace and a mostly diminishing head. Wonderful lace. Flavor is also wonderful. Light in body compared to most Bwines. This is more like an IPA. The most pervasive flavor is alcohol. A little salty; could use a little more sweetness. Not overly hoppy.

millerclmb (44) - Boulder, Missouri, USA - SEP 2, 2004
For something which is made right down the street...I can only say how thankful I am to live where I do. This is a great bottled beer...available anytime I want. Definitly my favorite in terms of quality balanced with how available it is.

awaller05 (305) - Sharon, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2004
Nice ruby red hue, minimal head, sweet smell. taste is very hoppy with a pronounced alcohol flavor. Wish I had someone to help me finish this bottle.

I.C.suds (189) - Da U.P. eh?, Michigan, USA - AUG 24, 2004
Too hoppy. Not balanced. Pricey. Cool label, too big of bottle for 9.2%. Find some friends and share one, then drink a Young’s Old Nick to see what a BW should really taste like.