overall

RATINGS: 1436   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 438   ABV: 14.6%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.
Batch 12 (Oct 2016): 14.6% ABV

railcat1 (702) - Kissimmee, Florida, USA - JAN 12, 2007
This was one of the thickest ,sweetest and strongest imps.i ever had.Very complex and chewy but also excellant.I love my stouts and this was very enjoyable.CHEERS!

tyler_mn (1475) - SLP, Minnesota, USA - JAN 12, 2007
UPDATED: APR 21, 2008 Bottle. Batch 2. Pours syrupy oil black with a minimal brown head. Aroma is quite complex; malt, semisweet chocolate, oak, coffee. Rich and creamy on the palate and quite sweet. Not as sweet and as raisny as the Samaels, though. The initial sweetness gives way to an array of complex malt and chocolate notes. The true stout flavor doesn’t come through until close to the finish. The finish is very espresso-like and very long. I was tasting malt for a while. Much like the other "fallen angel" beers this is complex and unique, albeit not for all tastes.

Re-rate. 2007 vintage. Lots of bitter espresso and tar on the nose and tongue. This batch seems a tad more astringent and bitter than the 2006. Definitely needs some more time. A lot more time...

SB (334) - Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2007
Bottle. Jan 2005. Batch 1. Poured very dark, syrupy. Dark mocha like head. Aroma was very complex and enticing. Malt, Barley, Chocolate, Coffee, Sugar, fruit, oaky, The flavors again were complex, but I had a feeling that I should have tried to age this a bit more. Flavors of dark fruit, raisins, sugar, slight chocolate hints and coffee hints. Very sweet. Huge alcohol notes, these weren’t covered up in the slightest. Texture was oily, syrupy. I had a feeling I would have liked this MUCH better had I had it with a dessert. Instead I didn’t have it was anything. Way over the top for that. I am happy I did get to try this beer. I think it needed more time to mesh together. Full bodied beer.

KAME (160) - California, USA - JAN 10, 2007
UPDATED: APR 5, 2007 2006 Bottle, Christmas Eve. After finishing up dinner, it was time for dessert. Pours as black as night and is quite syrupy. Aroma is a little more burnt then I remember. Taste is quite sweet, and more unbalanced and bitter than the last time I had it. Possibly due to the freshness of this beer, but I think a couple years would really do this beer good. Not nearly as good as the DFH WWSs that I’ve sampled, but I’ve never tried them fresh. I only ended up drinking half of it and had had enough, however, it was still quite good with breakfast the next morning.

MrEcted1 (144) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - JAN 9, 2007
This beer pours a nice dark black hue with minimal head - which can be expected with a brew that has this high of an abv. VERY powerful beer... at a little over 16% alcohol this one is not to be played with. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but this beer is SWEET. VERY sweet... a little too much for me actually. Almost a mix between a stout and a barleywine. Worth sampling but at around $6.00 for a 12oz bottle I probably wont be buying many of these.

jbrus (4989) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - JAN 8, 2007
Dusseldorf Gathering, Bottled, says 15.1%. Avery shows that you can make a very powerfull and extreme but still good beer like many US breweries try too but don’t really succeed. They go over the top, Avery doesn’t. Very good beer. Very strong aroma with chocolate and coffee liquor most dominant. Black color, light brown head, good lace. Extremely sweet, moccha liquor, roasted bitter. Thick, viscous and syrupy. You’ll need all evening to finish it but it’s a good evening.

Sisyphus (3) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 7, 2007 does not count
Batch 2. Maybe some aging will mellow this a bit, but as I drank it, I made the comment that it almost has too much flavor. It was like eating a desert that was much too rich. Very good at first, but hard to take in large doses. Reminded me a bit of World Wide with more roast and bitterness. Poured very dark with a medium dark tan head. Overall, a great beer that takes a very long time to drink.

Sammy (12610) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 31, 2006
Very dark black with a small head. Alcohol is in the aroma like a hard drink. Average mouthfeel and above-average stout taste,but very bitter really with sugar in the finish. A bit of coffee, chocolate and roast.

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 25, 2006
12oz bottle, batch 1 (11months old). pours a beautiful pitch black with 1/2inch tan fluffy head. the contrast of the tan head next to a pitch black color beer creates one of the best appearances i’ve ever seen. aroma hasespresso, roasted walnuts and pecans, charred oak, caramel, toffee, , sweet alcohol and cherries, with mild oxidation. aroma is simply amazing. the initial taste is an onslaught on the palate. it’s actually really smokey much more than i recall. flavor has lots of cherries, sugar, more espresso than chocolate but still chocolate notes in there, a rich, creamy mouthfeel, carbination is light, perfect for the style. flavor is really sweet and the alcohol almost tastes like a flavored rum. this bottle has actually aged rather well, whereas all the other bottles i had clearly were on their decline. alcohol is clearly noticible. this beer is clearly not as well made as DFH WWS but still a great attempt. a beer i wouldn’t mind having on a rare occassion. it’s truly a shame these beers won’t age 5-10years.

Firemoose15 (567) - Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 25, 2006
Batch 1 bottle. Thanks to my homie RLB for giving me this an aeon ago where it has waited patiently in the fridge since. Aroma of chocolate and coffee and cherry. Poured a dark black with a creamy tan head. Flavor was a nice amalgamation of chocolate and coffee swirling with the sweetness of cherry and dark fruit. Palate is rich and creamy with a nice bitter coffee finish. This is the 3rd time I’ve had this but only now have I felt it was fair to rate it. I liked it before but thought it to be too hot. The maturation of this brew has truly let it’s complexities meld into a fine brew. A great touch to Christmas day.