overall

RATINGS: 1443   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 438   ABV: 14.6%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.
Batch 12 (Oct 2016): 14.6% ABV

drmatt (51) - THE LOU, Missouri, USA - SEP 8, 2006
this is a great beer! it’s huge. great complex taste. coffee, chocolate, vanilla, fruit. the alcohol is noticable, but how hard is it to completely hide 15.1% abv. poured with little to no head. sipped down nicely. i had one beer afterwards, then fell into a deep sleep.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 8, 2006
Thanks illinismitty. Pours with a black body topped by a thick head with some lacing. It’s sweet and malty with a smokey, roasty note, a little vanilla and notes of soy and teryaki sauces. It reminds me of beef jerky. Full bodied, warming and smooth.

duff (5486) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - SEP 7, 2006
Bottle. Looks mean, almost black in colour, tanned head. Super sweet aroma. Lots of sweet chocolate, slight caramel and nut characters, then a sweet and roasty, bitter finish. The mouthfeel is quite smooth, and very sweet, way too sweet for me. Alcohol is noticeable, but i would have guessed it may have been lighter. Too sweet in the end.

decaturstevo (6343) - decatur, Tennessee, USA - SEP 2, 2006
A hugly dark brown pour. An aroma of malt and alcohol. A flavor of toasted mallt, alcohol and chocolate. A full rich palate of thick creamy chocolate. A very sweet, smooth beer. Excellent. Youi could say that I loved this beer.

jason (1836) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 1, 2006
2006 bottle batch1 via trade with cbkschubert. Craig really hooked me up here. Beautiful aroma really got me hyped for this one. Send chills down my spine (or was that the wind from this cold night?). It kept a nice thin ring around the black tar pour till the very end. Flavor is very close to being a chocolate/cherry sherry flavor. Very nutty with slight carbonation that is mysteriously smooth. The alcohol is almost non-existent here. I hardley ever tasted it. I savored this one, sipped it for along while. I’m surprised this is not classified as a russian imperial. Craig thanks for the help with this #300th rating. Almost perfection. Cheers!

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 27, 2006
Pours a thick black liquid with a creamy brown head. Smells of chocolate, coffee, dark fruit, and a slight note of vanilla. Taste is very sweet and a bit abrasive. Almost like a brandy and imperial stout birthed this concoction. I picked up a slight note of smoke in the finish on this one. This one an intense beer that I would try again to see if I can pick out more flavors.

beerbuzzmontreal (3486) - Montreal, Quebec, CANADA - AUG 24, 2006
The pour reveals a pitch black color with a thin brown head. Great aroma of chocolate, coffee and alcohol, it’s appealing and makes me want to drink this beer. The flavor though, this is another story, the chocolate, coffee and alcohol are there but it is mostly very sweet, too sweet, way too sweet. The body has a light to medium thickness with a liquorous texture and soft carbonation. I’m not too crazy about this beer but it has some qualities and I will make sure to try it again.

OldGrowth (3665) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2006
Sampled @ Extreme Fest’06. Good nose, sweet, though not as big as I would of guessed. Ripe fruit, grape & cherry, chocolate. Dark brownish black color, nice head & lacing. Bitter sweet flavor, kind of soy sauce, cocoa, coffee. Big bite. Medium body, thick oily creamy mouthfeel, bitter sweet finish. Nice. I have a bottle to sample, just haven’t got around to opening yet.

POD (198) - USA - AUG 22, 2006
Bottle. Poured dark black/brown with a thin head. Big fruity grape brandy-like sweet aroma. First taste was very much like a cherry cordial brandy with hints of burnt carmel and smoke. Had to take this one slow. I felt my liver quiver with each swallow. It is beyond "rich". It took me a long time to nurse this one to a finish. Only real men should dare to consume this concoction. I found it quite delightful.

TChrome (1481) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - AUG 17, 2006
Bottled, January 2006: Pours pretty much black with a big, totally retained very dark tan colored head. Aroma is alcoholic with chocolate and dark fruit. Flavor is, per advertised, rum soaked dark fruit, some chocolate, alcohol, and a very respectable bitter hop finish. This beer exhibits finesse in terms of an Avery product. Good but not unbelievable in terms of impy stouts.