overall
RATINGS: 1450   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 462   ABV: 15.4%
Mephistopheles is the crafty shape shifter, the second fallen angel. Amazingly complex, coal black, velvety and liqueurish, this demon has a bouquet of vine-ripened grapes, anise and chocolate covered cherries with flavors of rum-soaked caramelized dark fruits and a double espresso finish. Mephistopheles is the final installment of "The Demons of Ale" series.

Batch 1 (Jan 2006): 15.1% ABV.
Batch 2 (Nov 2006): 16.03% ABV.
Batch 3 (Nov 2007): 16% ABV.
Batch 4 (Nov 2008): 15.92% ABV.
Batch 5 (Dec 2009): 16.83% ABV.
Batch 6 (Dec 2010): 15.95% ABV.
Batch 7 (Nov 2011): 16.43% ABV.
Batch 8 (Nov 2012): 16.2% ABV.
Batch 9 (Dec 2013): 15.4% ABV.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
blankboy (7482) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAY 24, 2006
Rating 1000!!! Bottle shared with HogTownHarry, tupalev & Dave B. -- courtesy of HogTownHarry. Well here it is, my 1000th rating and the achievment of my goal to get there in under a year with a week left to spare. Thanks to Harry for sharing this bad boy and also thanks to him and the rest of my drinking buddies for all the fine beer they shared and that we shared together -- what a year!! On to the Mephistopheles: Pours a deep black with an average size brown head. Fantastic aroma of sweet malt, cocoa, caramel, dark fruit, coffee, hops, alcohol and more -- theres lots going on here, its complex and it smells great. Sweet flavour of caramel malt, dark fruit, molasses, brown sugar and alcohol. Thick body and syrupy mouthfeel. A little on the sweeter side then I like my Imperial Stouts and a tad boozy, but man o man, this is still one kick-ass Stout and one to share with your friends.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
HogTownHarry (6381) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - MAY 23, 2006
UPDATED: MAY 24, 2006 Bottle (12oz). Shared with blankboy, tupalev and Dave B - my bottle, acquired from Dave B. *Rating number 1300 for me (in less than a year!) and rating #1000 for blankboy - congratulations Paul, its been a hell of a blast rating beers this past year!!! Poured thick black, decent dark brown head. Aroma - wow! - deep dark bitter roast, bakers chocolate, milk powder, molasses/caramelized burnt malt, roast coffee, light dry bitter hops, hardwood resin (oily, almost turpentine), alcohol - love it. Incredibly sweet and boozy taste - burnt sugar, molasses, figs, thick, syrupy, theres yeast an cola and licorice - bitter and syrupy, but o man is this sweet. Thick, syrupy, lively, lightly carbonated, boozy start to finish, but amazing - Ill share another one of these again!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - MAY 23, 2006
1st batch bottle from the great richlikebeer. Black oily pour. Tight dark brown head. Left amazing lacing. Nose is thick! There is an alcohol component in the aroma, with licorice and abstinent. I quiver with antici-------&# Well. This is black licorice and bitter chocolate and the texture of molasses (taste too). The warming come slight after the first sip. The tongue is playing craziness. There is sour, then a soy sauce comes in, then sweetness. This is a real complex brew here. I taste caramel also. The after taste is dry and leaves me wanting more. This lived up to the hype, for sure. I think I may be tasting some faint hops as I drink more of this.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 23, 2006
I was very conflicted when it came to rating this beer, but I have decided to get up on my soap box. I do love Imp. Stouts, but this time they have just gone too far. When I think of what makes an excellent beer, I think of balance. This beer is insanity. It is like a cocktail fabricated partly by Turkish coffee and Everclear. I appreciate the drive for ever-bigger beers, but bigger isnt always better. On the other hand, beers like this are important, if only to push the limits of ones concept of beer. I, for one, will not be buying any more of this, so there will be plenty left for you maniacs.

GG (2332) - NorCal, California, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Can you say perfect? One of the rare beers that I will ever give a perfect rating for, this one surely deserves it. I wanted to lick the bottle and my glass for every last molecule of this stuff. Absolutely incredible complex in the aroma and palate. Nose had notes of caramel, charcoal, roasted malts, dark fruits, vanilla, brandy, and rum. Appearance is jet black. There wasnt enough light in the room to properly check to see if it was solid thru but who cares. Flavors were much the same as the nose but I could get chocolate coverd cherries, more malt, hoppy goodness and that mouthfeel was perfect. My 3rd time with Avery (3rd times a charm) and they hit a grand slam with this one.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 4/20
harazzyou (3) - Glen Ellyn, Illinois, USA - MAY 22, 2006 does not count
Are you guys kidding? One sip of this syrup and I thought I got A bad bottle or somthing. Nope, thats the way I guess its meant to taste. Aroma was much better than flavor. almost fooled me into believing there was some sort of balance.Not at all what A STOUT should taste like. Maybe if I add it to my esspresso A little at A time, I could get rid of it. It would be A shame to waste all that money! Kool bottle though!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
jmuhops (669) - Winchester, Virginia, USA - MAY 22, 2006
Pours pitch black with an incredibly dark large two and a half-finger head that sticks around for a while. Smelling this one makes me warm; its part hot cocoa, part warm dark chocolate cake, part freshly-brewed espresso, and part sweet, liqueur-like alcohol. Comparisons have been made with World Wide Stout--and I can definitely see why--but Im getting a richer chocolate aroma from Averys effort. Theres also a healthy scoop of molasses in there. It tastes as warm and rich as the aroma, with emphasis on the roasted flavors and the alcohol, which, though present in large amounts, adds to the brew immensely. The roasted malts and alcohol play around together until the swallow, which is mostly warming alcohol. The roastiness comes back in the aftertaste, which is reminiscent of chocolate-dipped toast. Licking my lips after a sip is like licking a chocolate Tootsie Pop soaked in brandy. Incredible sipper.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
kepano (269) - Los Angeles, California, USA - MAY 20, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2006 It is by sheer coincidence that Averys Mephistopheles became my 100th reviewed beer, but the chance was a definite paroxysm if not an clat within the continuity of my recent pursuits. Acquiring this hell-born liquid was nearly as arduous as drinking it, though admittedly the latter was more enjoyable. From the crack of the cap you know youre in for something different, the heavy scents of dark malts and alcohol emanate from what seems an open wound, and as the oozing obsidian ichor drips into the glass there is no wonder remaining about this beers satanic name. The soft feathery brown head becomes disfigured by craterous formations that remain after the burst of each large bubble, developing into what seems like an asteroid floating in the dark, tar-like void. The tenebrous chocolate aroma is accompanied by a cortge of rich, deep fragrances each more potent than the previous: coffee, Irish cream, soy sauce, dried figs, red wine and rum-soaked cherries. Nearly cacophonous to the nose, the flavor and mouthfeel are surprisingly harmonious though just as vehement. The cloying syrup-like texture provides a vivid substance for the poignant and pungent mixture to evolve as every sip sleekly slips across the tongue. Anise, espresso, Irish cream and cherry liqueur share the scene in a glorious orchestral rise that smoothly diminishes to a soft finish. An impressive feat and definite success but a brew that demands an appropriately grandiose situation as its potency will be of surfeit in any other case.

Darkover (1535) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - MAY 19, 2006
Dark black with a medium dark brown head. Rich sugery aroma of roasted malt, candy, soy and dates. Flavor is really sweet and rich with raisons, dates, soy, roasted malt and licorice. Body is kind of oily and the 15% is well hidden. Raaly drinkable for a huge beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
FoolishMortal (990) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 19, 2006
12oz. bottle. Opaque black with a small dark brown head. Heavy fusel alcohol aroma with dates and raisins. Bitter chocolate, caramelized sugar, molasses flavors. Very hot finish with residual coffee bean and cocoa bitterness. Mouthfeel is very heavy, thick and cloying.