overall
RATINGS: 1254   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Our winter ale has a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts. Cellarable for 3+ years.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Nice deep red color, with good head. I smell all kinds of spices, although they say there are none. Oh, this tastes like a porter, roasted coffee and malts, caramel and toffee. The head goes small, but leaves good lacing. There is a back ground flavor of hops. This is an excellent brew. Glad I got a 6er of this. Get it!

hershiser2 (3230) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 3, 2005
Paid $1.70 for a 12-oz single. Appearance is deep rubious red with a large tannish head. Aroma is very pleasant: toffee, caramel, floral bouquet. VERY falvorful, and creamy. I normally like the addition of spice to beers, but with this one, I especially enjoy the smooth, unaltered flavor.

YogiBeera (2569) - New Jersey, USA - JAN 2, 2005
Medium frothy head on a nice brown colored brew, leaving laces on the glass. Nutty, would say almond and woody nose. Thin body but a nice tabocco medium lasting, bitter finish.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JAN 1, 2005
New Years Eve drink. Too bad it was like 50 degrees last night, unlike a few nights ago when it was about 15. This brew would have lit a fire in my heart on a wintry night.

mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 1, 2005
bottle. deep mahogany with a small off-white head. citrusy, hoppy aroma. very tasty. good hop structure along with soft malts.. terrific balance. my first of avery’s offerings and I’m quite impressed...I still have four more to try.

HumuloneRed (751) - Portland, Oregon, USA - JAN 1, 2005
Nice malt and nut aroma. Deep clear ruby red color with some head and lacing. Big malt flavor with a bitterness back it up. Nice creamy body. This beer ages really well. I have some from last year that are a lot more balanced toward the malt. I’ll hold on the a few of these to see how they develope.

badgerben (5177) - Blaine, Minnesota, USA - DEC 31, 2004
Near black color with a thin head. Coffeeish aroma with a little bit of cherry. The taste was delicious: chocolate, coffee, dark cherry, and an ample supply of roasted-goodness. Damn fine brew.

pivo (2685) - GERMANY - DEC 31, 2004
Hoppy and nutty nose - very strong, fresh and bright aroma. Dark clear, shimmering brown color with a tall fluffy tan head. Creamy toasted malt taste with some woody qualities, but the hops really dominate this flavor profile. Almost like an IPA, really. Some spices come through too. Medium body. Needs more malt body to counter the hops, but still a very good beer.

pjk33 (390) - Sligo - Curllsville Heights, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Bottle. I got this from Kaggie97, thanks Kevin! Pours a nice deep mahogany color with a creamy head that laces wonderfully. Nose is deep malt, sweet toffee and a little coffee. Good sweet malty flavor with a light coffee finish. Flavor is just like the nose, with a nice bite and a good creamy body. Boy, this one laces like crazy! This is a solid brew with not a lot of hoppiness until it hits you at the very end. I really like the warmth that it creates as you continue to consume. Is this wonderful pairing of malt, spice and hops the work of man or God? Some nice work was done in this brew. I enjoyed this one a lot.

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Subtle Aroma and Flavor. Crisp, Hoppy...Fruity? Hoppy Ending. Not My Favorite Winter Ale.