overall
RATINGS: 1252   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Our winter ale has a gorgeous mahogany hue, a hint of hazelnuts, and a finish reminiscent of mocha and toffee. No spices, just a perfect blend of five specialty malts. Cellarable for 3+ years.

jzzbassman (1619) - Arlington, Texas, USA - SEP 9, 2004
Poured a deep brown with a small tan head that faded leaving lots of lacing. Aroma was really huge and malty. Flavor had a lot of malt, with a hint of sour that reminded me of sour cherry. It was so nice, and I finished it by smoking a pipe w/ black cavendish and it not only stood up to it; it actaully blended very well.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - SEP 7, 2004
This is like liquid tobacco. No really I feel like I’m drinkind dip juice. Like someone spit their copenhagen in my glass and then added some yeast. This stuff smells like tobacco, vanilla, bourbon and roasted malts. It looks like filtered dip juice. It tastes like caramel, chocolate and vanilla. And I really like it. G-rat

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - AUG 21, 2004
Big sweet aroma of caramel with a light spice. Good sized white head with fair lacing. Appearance was great dark, mahogany and clear. Very enticing. Flavor matched the aroma but just a little bit lighter. Sweet with some light spice. Smooth light to medium bodied.

skaughty (652) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - AUG 19, 2004
Gorgeous Mahogany hue is an apt description of the appearance. The aroma is heavily malty and has some spruce and some nuts - interesting. Strangely the rich toffee flavor was spoiled slightly with some sourness. Otherwise, she comes with the proper dose of bitterness. I like the choice of malts better than most english ales.

BrewEd (182) - Wilmington, North Carolina, USA - AUG 10, 2004
Bottled. Gorgeous ruby coloring. Aroma of sweet roasted malts. I like Avery’s offerings but I was surprised by how well rounded this one is. The only detraction is the fact that its slightly thin/soft on the front side. I’ll definitely pick this one up again.

Quetzalcoatl (153) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - JUL 31, 2004
12oz bottle. Very impressive! This has a fantastic aroma that just begs for attention; a hoppy nose with malt backing. Looks great, a deep red brown with a thin head. The flavor is great; a nice rich malty complexity, with a perfect hop taste to close. I bought this without really knowing much about it, so without any preconceptions, this stuff blew me away.

smoosh (536) - New Albany, Indiana, USA - JUL 26, 2004
Bottle - a beautiful, deep brown. Slightly translucent. I get nuttiness and alcohol in the nose. Sweet flavor. Toffee and malt. Full, lush mouthfeel. This is a very nice beer!

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - JUN 9, 2004
Bottle, cellared 2002: Deep ruby brown hue with fading off-white head and very good lace. The aroma has notes of caramelized malts, toffee, raisin and prune, hazelnut, vanilla, floral hops, and some phenol. The taste starts sticky sweet and earthy, lots of malts to the forefront. A good dose of bitterness, smoky, and ripe fruity finish, some faux spice as well. The mouthfeel is full and lush with just a bit a snap on the finish. Nicely done and aged well, a heck of a "close out" find at $1.59 a piece.

duff (5484) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - JUN 6, 2004
Bottle. Very malty and raisiny at first, really sticky varnishy/resiny sort of flavour, heaps of hops and spice towards the end, really concentrated and overly sweet, pretty thick.

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - MAY 19, 2004
I was a bit put off by the style once I decided to rate this here. My First impressions were more of that of a dark IPA. Nose is full of resinous hops, cinder toffee, and slightly winey malts. Garnet/brown body with a creamy tan head is quite nice. Subduded hop bitterness and flavor blends well with thick caramel, malt, earth and a little alcohol. Finnishes long with nuts, grass, and fresh malt, very good winter warmer.