overall

RATINGS: 1136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
This big, roasty stout takes flavor to the extreme. We aren’t afraid to use plenty of rich roasted barley and a mountain of hops to give this full-bodied stout that little extra something you’ve been looking for in a beer.

green (186) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - FEB 16, 2005
Cellar temp. Totally black in an Eng. pint glass. Head is a bit fizy dissipates to a partial layer. Strong aroma of roasted barley with a hint of raisin. Slightly dry, earthy flavor tending neither toward chocolate nor nuttieness. Soft, but a little watery for a stout. This is a fine stout, no flaws, yet no real character either.

gabbledbabble (60) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - FEB 15, 2005
45F Smells like engine, looks like oil. Not even a hint of color around the edge. Straight up blackened malts. Makes for a blackened beer. Tiny hop burps. This tastes a little flat. Probably old as it was on sale. Robust - NOT. Dry, chalky and scratchy. Blah. I didn’t find it very engaging. My wife and I both got 8 ounces down then set the pints aside and lost interest. She folded laundry, and I put away dishes. Boring.

OldGrowth (3474) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Bottle, from Julio’s. Good nose Slightly nutty, coffee, carmel. Clean dark reddish brown color. Ok head that left a ring. Bitter flavors, Viney, chocolate, aluminum, little grapefruit. Thinner bodied, lite creamy mouthfeel, bitter dry finish. Good stout, though I’m not a fan of the viney thing.

Dough77 (821) - Aurora, Illinois, USA - FEB 11, 2005
Steady stout, nice and roasty chocolate flavor and aroma. Poured out a little thin bodied, looked more like a dark soda than a stout, but felt more medium bodied once it hit my mouth. Sweet with a larger than expected hop aftertaste. Nice, but not a stout for everyday usage.

richlikebeer (838) - Easton, Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 10, 2005
On tap at Andy’s. Loads of roasted aroma, deep brown body, thin tan head, but the flavor didn’t deliver on everything I was expecting from the aroma, and the aftertaste ended very bitterly, and the body was a little thin. I wasn’t crazy about this.

Lou18 (1353) - West Paterson, New Jersey, USA - FEB 10, 2005
Tap at Andy’s, I was expecting so much more. Poured black and had all the coffee and roasted aroma typical of stouts. I did have some very good brews tonight, and my palate maybe of, but this was average, and, I expect more from Avery.

mds (2250) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - FEB 5, 2005
bottle obtained from Trader Joe’s in Phoenix. pitch black in appearance with a small mocha head. aroma is predominately coffee, some milk chocolate in there too. loads of roasted malt flavour along with that milk chocolate that showed up in the aroma, creamy body. big dry bitter finish. This is a tasty stout.

jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - FEB 3, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2005 Pours a mostly black with a hint of brown color. Tan head with minimal lacing. Aroma of chocolate malt and a hint of hops. A lot of the stouts I have had almost taste and look like cola. Although "out of bounds" is low carbination with almost a porter taste. Chocolate and coffee are the aggressors with a hint of hops in the backround. No wateriness with the perfect carbonation. A nice stout by my local brewery.

Boutip (6380) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - FEB 1, 2005
Bottle: Poured a pitch-black dark ale with a very small head with almost no retention. Aroma consisted mainly of medium roasted malt. I enjoyed the roasted notes very much and appreciated the balance between the roastiness and the bitterness. Also, a found no watery feeling at the end, which is something I despise in some stouts.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 29, 2005
MIBRomeo shared this with me. It looks very dark brown/black with a tan, bubbly head. It had nice lacing. The aroma was of high quality ground coffee with a LONG lasting aroma. (I hate beers that the aroma dies in 10 seconds). The palate was VERY disappointing. It was like water. Almost thinner than water (if that’s possible). It was lively, but very disappointing. The flavor is of coffee and a bit like how bandaids smell. Not very complex. Disappointing here too.