overall
RATINGS: 82   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Out of Bounds stout with a half-pound of fresh Malawi coffee generously donated by The Unseen Bean, whose roastery is just around the corner. Try their excellent blind-roasted coffee at their tasting room at 2052 Broadway.

onceblind (10097) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 13, 2010
On tap @ Avery Brewery. Pours a hearty black with a delicious brown head. Smells richly of coffee and earthy chocolate. However, the earthy chocolate leaves during the taste, leaving just lots of full bodied coffee flavor. It actually tasted like a very well made iced-coffee, with a hint of alchol on the tail end. Mouthfeel was very smooth, like a Guinness, and the finish was dry but kinda sweet. I would rate it higher, but the flavor was a bit one-dimentional. I love coffee, so I loved this brew beyond almost anything I’ve ever had thus far. But you have to really dig coffee to dig this. Lucky me!

craftbeerdesign (2254) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - OCT 21, 2011
taster at the Avery taproom on 10/2/11. dark brown pour with a small tan head. big coffee nose with light sweetness / milk and light whiskey. full smooth body with coffee, chocolate, sweet cream and roasted malts. sweet, roasted finish... very smooth.

KAggie97 (3529) - Ugly, Hot, and Humid Spring, Texas, USA - OCT 1, 2009
Tap at brewery, GABF ’09.
Pours a deep, evil black with a rich, dark fresh roasted coffee nose. Flavor is coffee grounds, pure and simple. Thick, viscous mouthfeel. Awesome beer; best cup o’ joe I’ve had in a loooong time.

ads135 (4853) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - DEC 4, 2011
I probably chronically overrate decent stouts, but this is another great one and one of the most solid beers I’ve had from Avery. Dry, sweet, with chocolate and especially coffee. (8/9/2010)

Aml42000 (622) - Washington, USA - FEB 27, 2012
Nice coffee stout. The nose shows more of a coffee bean/vegetal character than a roasted aroma. Full bodied, but with a nice Effervesscent mouthfeel. Long, rich finish.

badlizard (5533) - Berkeley, California, USA - JUL 20, 2012
On tap at brewery. Very dark brown with a creamy tan head. Strong drip coffee chocolate and caramel aroma and taste with rich chocolate and coffee flavors dominating and some subtle citeus notes hiding in the background. Nice velety palate. Outstanding.

gregwilsonstl (2575) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - JUL 31, 2013
Very dark black. Thick tan head. Strong coffee smell. Very dominating coffee flavor almost like espresso. Dry. I?m on a stout kick , so this is right up my alley. Solid.

NachlamSie (3523) - Denver, Colorado, USA - OCT 16, 2013
10 oz at Colorado Plus. I was concerned I would not be able to fill my coffee beer craving here in CO as my favorites are only available in the midwest and east coast. Avery has kindly fulfilled that need, though I could use this in bottles. This beer is basically black. The aroma is like walking into a coffee shop with someone grinding the beans a few feet away. The coffee is so genuine I can get the complexity of the bean itself. It’s earthy with minimal acidic bite, toasted nuts, I’m guessing Latin American or Hawaiian coffee. The flavor has a nice cacao background for some balance. It’s a bittersweet, dryish stout with more coffee than anything. Delicious.

kevinator (2443) - The Colony, Texas, USA - OCT 25, 2014
Love this version of their stout. Big roasted flavors of coffee and black malt. Very dark in color with a tan head. Smooth palate with biting carbonation at the back. Burnt toast, coffee, bitterness and a lingering roastiness are what it’s all about.

altonbrownd (5897) - Chevy Chase, Maryland, USA - OCT 9, 2016
[9/7/2016] On tap at Churchkey as "Out of Mind." Dark brown body with thin head. Nose is chocolate and coffee and espresso. Taste is dark chocolate, coffee and roasty malts. Creamy, watery finish. Excellent!