overall
RATINGS: 1136   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 68   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
The Beast is a seducer - accomodating, complicated, powerful, dark and created to last the ages. Beyond this, it’s futile to attempt to describe Him. He will unveil Himself differently to each of His followers. The mark is in His constitution. Brewed with two-row malted barley, honey malt, and imported Belgian specialty grains (aromatic, pale wheat, roasted wheat, and Special B), hops (Magnum, Galena, Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnang, and Hersbrucker), brewing sugars (raisins, dates, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa honey, turbinado, and dark Belgian candy sugar), water, Belgian yeast and another hellion of a yeast strain.OG: 1.138
Batch 1 (2004): 15.7% ABV
Batch 10 (2012): 16.0% ABV
Batch 11 (2013): 18.0% ABV
Batch 12 (2014): 16.1% ABV

Doppelganger (1389) - Dry County, Arkansas, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Seems almost silly rating appearance on this one. What is it supposed to look like? That said, it’s much lighter than I expected, and actually has a little bit of foam. Nice. Aroma of port and dates. Palate is not all that thick considering the 18% ABV. But in the taste, the alcohol is right there. Also very sweet port flavors. I feel like there are other things waiting to come through, but at this point it still seems pretty raw, and everything else is crowded out. I think it’s great that Avery made this audacious stuff. To my tastes, it isn’t great right now, but it probably will be in five years, and that is pretty cool. Thanks Alaskanwarren for the taste! Mighty generous of you.

robertsreality (2460) - Minnesota, USA - DEC 23, 2004
Red Coloring with White Ring. I’d Be Lying if I Said the Immense Alcohol Wasn’t Noticeable, But in Actuality, It’s Much More Balanced Then one Would Think. Fruity, Alcohol Aroma.. Some Bread Dough. The Alcohol is the Domineering Character... Very Enjoyable Beast!!

Gachupines (1252) - USA - DEC 21, 2004
This beer is quite interesting. Aroma and appearance are excellent. Taste begins fairly malty, but the alcohol takes over at that point. Ultimately, I see potential for this beer, and this is probably one to let mellow for a year or two. It’s powerful, and not bad but the alcohol tends to overpower the other tastes, making this a beer with great potential but less payoff than hoped for.

temporrari (398) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - DEC 20, 2004
UPDATED: FEB 12, 2006 Awesome appearance. Perhaps the best looking beer I’ve ever seen. The color is simply entrancing. Large off white head disapates into a thin layer on the surface. The carbonation dances to the top of the glass. Aroma is fantastic. Fruity and barleywine-like. Almost no alcohol detectable. However, it is noticeable while in your mouth and going down. Warming, but it doesn’t burn. I really don’t know how to explain the flavor. Completely unique brew. I can’t wait to try it in about 5 years.

I’m writing this portion of the review the day after drinking this beer. A word of warning, don’t drink a whole bottle by yourself! I really wish this was in 12oz bottles instead of 22oz.

matta (1140) - Tampa, Florida, USA - DEC 19, 2004
This bottle was acquired about 10 months ago from Aubrey, out in Colorado.

Rating # 650
First Release: Early 2004….. 15.7% abv

The Beast pours out a crimson body with a fluffy 2 finger off white head, this slowly dissipates and leaves a wispy cream collared ring and lacing in the glass. The aroma is sweet and has very little trace of that burly 15.7% alcohol level. I easily trace down the sweet fruity hints of dates, brown sugar, toffee malt, plums, figs, and big notes of raisins. From my many tasting, I do not remember the newer 18% Beast having this flavor…. Iron? It’s a very pronounced flavor in this vintage. Very bloody tasting, tangy and tart; like licking an open lesion. Adam had mentioned to me that there was an Iron note in this vintage… I just don’t remember what it was that he said caused it…. maybe the yeast… I don’t recall exactly, but it was something rather odd. Anyway, other than Iron, the 2 flavors that standout most for me are the syrupy, smoky, full flavor of Molasses, and the fruity, lightly tart but masked with sugar notes of Raisins.
I’ve gotta say… this beer is a sipper! Halfway through the bottle I was feeling the buzzing effects and by the end, 2 ½ hours later.. I was under the influence of The Beast!
No doubt that this is a complex brew! I must admit that I’ve never had anything like it, nothing that even closely resembles this animal! As a friend recently mentioned… and I’ll attest, “This resembles a Fruiter Fizzy Scotch!”
I’ll tell yeah, I’m really looking forward to aging out a few bottles of the late 2004 - 18% vintage.

biz82 (1327) - austin, Texas, USA - DEC 17, 2004
Not quite clear and orange in color.Very thick as evidenced by the bubbles struggling to rise to the surface. Creamy head. Pungent, floral, spicy, yeasty and alcoholic aroma. Bubblegum and candi sugar also. It burns of alcohol in the throat. The sweetness and body nearly balance the rubbing alcohol quality out but not quite. Beneath that is some malt, fruit and a hint of hops. Maybe this will mellow with age, but as is, it is too much for me.

Hab40oz (242) - Grants Pass, Oregon, USA - DEC 16, 2004
wow 18% this year, this baby really has some punch to it, pours way more clear than what I expected, a clear dark red with a pretty good veige head, wow, sweet and strong smelling, fruity, smells like a barleywine, the taste is very smooth, fruity, and very hoppy as well, this is strong and very impressive, the alcohol is noticeable but covered up well for the amount, great stuff, go for 20% next year, that would be awesome!

Enniskillen (2061) - Bakersfield, California, USA - DEC 15, 2004
Aroma is cherries, dried fruit, caramel, alcohol sweetness. Body is a gorgeous ruby with a thin head that dissapates. Taste is sweet, like fruit, and candy, burn is moderate for a 18% beer, not as well covered as WWS, but for the style I think it is done very well. Grapes, dry mouthfeel.

Lubiere (14155) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 12, 2004
We have tamed the Beast! Red copper ale with a fruity sweet aroma with sour cherries. Sweet cherry notes in mouth with intense hops lingering in mouth. A goos alcohol burn, yet balanced with the sweet malt. A super strong barley wine. Strong and heavy bodied. Have another in one year, once its aged.Thanks to Maibockaddict.

DragonStout (1418) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - DEC 11, 2004
This is definately named correctly.The dark amber beer poured with a small head that dissapeared quickly.Lots of flavors running thru this.Dark fruits like plums and raisins and tastes of bourbon.Alcohol had a great present in every drink.I enjoyed this beer.It was fun pulling all the flavors out.I would only drink one, after that forget about it.The Finish couldv’e been cleaner.Has some bitterness that was covered up with the alcohol warmth.