overall
RATINGS: 1131   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.71/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 68   EST. CALORIES: 540   ABV: 18%
The Beast is a seducer - accomodating, complicated, powerful, dark and created to last the ages. Beyond this, it’s futile to attempt to describe Him. He will unveil Himself differently to each of His followers. The mark is in His constitution. Brewed with two-row malted barley, honey malt, and imported Belgian specialty grains (aromatic, pale wheat, roasted wheat, and Special B), hops (Magnum, Galena, Saaz, Hallertau, Tettnang, and Hersbrucker), brewing sugars (raisins, dates, blackstrap molasses, alfalfa honey, turbinado, and dark Belgian candy sugar), water, Belgian yeast and another hellion of a yeast strain.OG: 1.138
Batch 1 (2004): 15.7% ABV
Batch 10 (2012): 16.0% ABV
Batch 11 (2013): 18.0% ABV
Batch 12 (2014): 16.1% ABV

Cobra (1100) - - AUG 6, 2004
UPDATED: OCT 17, 2004 I think this is only my second perfect beer in rating them for over 2 years now. (I was keeping notes long before I joined this site.) 22 oz. brown bomber bottle, with a red foil seal over the crown. No freshness date seen, but none needed either at 15.7% ABV. WOW ! What a whopper of a beer! Poured out a deep burgundy / mahogany color into my Chimay chalice. (What else would you serve a Grand Cru in?!!!?) Extremely red in color around the edges. The head was a dark tan color, and lasted until the bottom of the glass. It’s a miracle they even got a head out of a beer this big. Aromas are of rum soaked dark fruits, prunes, raisins, dates and the like. Big hop aromas along with fresh malts. It smells like fresh ground malt in here. Molasses, dark brown sugar, and Belgian candi sugars round out the aromas. And, they are only the beginning of the flavors. Big, chewy malts here, along with the rum soaked fruits and the big hops make for an interesting combination. I’ve only had 2 or 3 sips, and I can already feel the alcohol kicking in. Funny thing is, there’s none in the flavors or tastes. It sneaks up on you, and literally takes your breath away. I’ve never had a beer do that until now. Thick, rich, chewy even in mouthfeel. This is most certainly a meal in a glass. Finishes rich and caramelly. One whizz bang of a beer here gang! Get some, IF YOU CAN. Does this beer deserve such a high score? Damn right it does. It’s THAT good. 2004 Batch Update (18.1% ABV) Well, let's see what this monster of a beer is all about, ok? Poured out a deep garnet color, with a huge head, once I used my beer engine on it. Aromas are mostly of alcohol, some macerated cherries & dark dried fruit as well. Tastes are of pipe tobacco, damp earthy basement, aged sweet potatoes, higher alcohols, lots of fusels, slightly dry oak barrelled brandy, some vanilla notes, lots of sugars, but not regular or Belgian Candi sugars, more like demera or palm sugars, and a slight smokiness to it as well. Very warming to the stomach, almost too much so. This beast is meant to be sipped slowly and savored, not gulped down for a fast buzz. It does need to be aged until Christmas. Christmas 2015, that is.

Cowballz69 (1) - bridgeport, Connecticut, USA - AUG 17, 2006 does not count
very sceptical at first because of the High proce, 8 dollers down here but the alcahol content for me but when i first open this beautiful drink i wish it was a never ending fountain of this flavor that i have never tasted in my life,, this beer reminded me of samitchclause (prob spelled wrong)but this is one of my favorite beers ever experianced.

Labfrogg (4) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 18, 2012 does not count
Wow. The flavor and aroma of this beer is the best of the best. My new favorite beer by far. Watch out. It’l creep up on ya. Gee Whiz Avery....is there anything you can’t do?

RRG991981 (9) - Menominee, Michigan, USA - SEP 28, 2016 does not count
Rich and complex and silky smooth for its massive strength. This is a really special beer I wish it was less expensive �� ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

KennethArd (613) - Odense, DENMARK - SEP 18, 2017
2006 Vintage. Very intense aroma of milk chocolate, Cocio, prunes, raisins, wet wood, smoke, nuts, almonds etc etc etc. Maybe the most perfect aroma I have ever experienced. Clear reddish brown with long lasting low brown head. Medium sweet & light sour taste. Medium body, oily texture, soft carbonation & very very long finish with the high alcohol in a perfect warming balance. Not only the best beer I have tasted this year, but maybe the best of the decade!!!

sanmiguel (118) - Illinois, USA - FEB 21, 2007
Sickly sweet beer! It had a syrupy honey aftertaste. Don’t get me wrong, this is one damn good beer! Thanks Mike K!

xmarcnolanx (940) - Kirkwood, Missouri, USA - JAN 29, 2008
UPDATED: JUL 26, 2008 Nov. 2005 bottle, sampled Jan 2008 Jesus God, this was one of the best beers I have ever had. Aroma is sharp sherry and heaps of dark ruby fruits. Almost no head, deep molasses and amber color. Taste is a touch salty and very bright berries, like an Apis Jadwiga. Obviously I get some honey out of this beer too. This is like a beer, port, and mead all put together. I’ll call it Avery’s More Powerful than Mead, Beer, and Port All Put Together. Palate is still slightly fizzy and alcoholic with whispers of the belgian yeast spiciness still present. World Class and terribly underrated. AGE THIS --- re-rate Batch 3 Jesus, this is still amazing. Having this beer currently. Bright red fruit, acetone in finish aroma and flavor, but it WORKS! Finish is slightly cloying with dull hops. Sweet caramel malts, some hop bitterness and higher alcohols. This beer is nearly perfect. If I had to drink one beer for the rest of my life, this is it.

ceffalo (40) - , Texas, USA - NOV 20, 2008
Pours a coffee-like color with a heavy, foamy head. 14.6% abv. Aroma is sweet, like a mixture of berries, with bread. Very interesting, which I would, and should, expect from a $10 beer. Whoa, what a flavor. Tastes of a rich raisin and plum with a strong wheat bread accent. Absolutely superb flavor. A little hot going down, which I would expect from such a high alcohol content. There’s even a slight chocolate kick that’s absolutely amazing. This is easily the best beer I’ve ever tried and I’m glad I purchased it. This beer I’m drinking now was brewed in 2006 and I’m sure that the aging has had some affect on it’s potent flavoring. It’s also clearly a sipping beer.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - FEB 21, 2004
Ruby/brown color,small tan head that faded quickly but left a decent lace behind.The aroma was a bit smokey coming straight from the bottle but in the glass i detect malt and fruit like raisin and plums with a mild alcohol coming through and decent hop presence.Theres almost a bubble gum like hint to the aroma as it warms up a bit,and it seems sweet as well.sweet malt and sugary taste with a nice fruit presence and the alcohol is nicely done with a mild burn coming as soon as it hits your tongue,and a warm feeling going down.The hops really come through nicely with a nice hop bitterness and semi sweet after taste.The smoke i detected off the bottle does manage to make it into the taste but very faintly,but never the less detectable.I don't think i could just tip the glass high and start hard core schweeling this is definately a sipper.Very nice brew and more then worth while to have a few around for a little cellaring.

AWMiller (512) - Mansfield, Texas, USA - DEC 11, 2011
Definitely THE top dark Belgian strong ale in my book! After savoring the last of the Demons of Ale series from Avery Brewing, I can state for the record that I saved the best for last! This is a massive brew both in texture and taste; truly meant to be savored slowly and all by itself. The warming effects from the hefty ABV are truly wonderful. Definitely the PERFECT nightcap!