overall

RATINGS: 2096   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   IBU: 102   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, - "great" and rajan - "king". Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley - fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. This newest Avery Dictator completes the "Dictator Series" joining the likes of The Kaiser & The Czar. Be aware that The Maharaja is a limited release only available for the summer. Welcome to his kingdom!

Editor’s Note: the 2007 version was 9.78%.
2014 - 10.2%

Aurelius (5335) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUN 29, 2006
UPDATED: JUL 5, 2006 Stewed fruit, hop, slightly strawberry aroma. Medium orange. Pretty hoppy. Strong and boozy. Fruit. Mellows as it warms. Or as I warmed. Finishes off sweet and woody with a tounge-drying bitterness. Piney. On tap, Ginger Man, NYC.

DCJack (185) - Alabama, USA - JUN 28, 2006
yes the beer qualifies as Imperial. I know this because I have had other beers that had the name Imperial on their label and there is something they have in common. Wtf it actually means, I have no idea. Tastes rich, suitable for an imperial-type person, I guess. IPA’s are a different matter. They are bitter, yes. I know, they are supposed ot be, but why, why, why? Oh yeah, now I remember, some people like that. Well, sometimes I do too, just not so much right now. I have to say though, that Avery does EVERYTHING well.

jimvy (131) - O’Fallon, Missouri, USA - JUN 28, 2006
Bomber. Pours a cloudy reddish orange color with a tight white-tan head that last for a long time. Aroma is big....lots of malt, lots of hops, lots of alcohol....call this an imperial IPA if you want, but it smells like an American barleywine to me. Flavor: very sweet, even with all the hops and alcohol, it’s a bit too much. Hops taste more resiny than anything else, with a sharpness in the finish. Malt is big enough to balance out the hops. Definite warmness in the finish, indicating significant alcohol. Overall, it’s a very nice beer and well balanced aside from a bit too much sweetness. I’d really score this beer high if they had called it an American barleywine...there’s just too much malt and sweetness in there for an imperial IPA. Great beer, but not in the category they’re calling it.

thebaldwizard (1207) - Ohio, USA - JUN 22, 2006
Oh my sweet lord, this is a great beer! The Maharaja pours a nice reddish orange color with a nice fluffy off-white head that leaves nice lacing on the glass. The aroma here is killer--by far the best I’ve encountered in any ale. Tons of grapefruit in the aroma and some sweetness, and pine of course. It reminded me of when I used to eat tons of sugar on top of grapefruit when I was a kid! The taste is nice too. Flavors are of caramel malt and a metric ton of hops. The bittering hops hit you in the finish, but are replaced by a really nice grapefruit taste that lingers on in the sides of your mouth. The mouthfeel is sticky and full, and that is the only place I feel this beer is lacking. "

gferd (99) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUN 21, 2006
A clear orange color with a small white head. The aroma is simple- its hoppy and citrusy, and surprisingly I cant really detect the alcohol here. The palate doesnt quite match the aroma. The big hops are definitely there, but its sweet like honey, a bit malty, maybe some hay or something like that. A bitter finish, and some alcohol lingers on the palate.

elektronikfagtekniker (891) - kbh, DENMARK - JUN 20, 2006
UPDATED: SEP 15, 2006 bottle. golden color. big creamy head. sweet smell. great hops. bit sweet and alcohollic.

bager (2120) - Copenhagen N, DENMARK - JUN 17, 2006
Bottle. Light amber in colour with a large white head. Hoppy and flowery. Very refreshing. Slight bitterness but also a bit malty and sweet.. Nice carb.

FlagstoneHill (215) - Erie, Colorado, USA - JUN 16, 2006
bomber Orangey, grapefruit, citrus HOPPY . .. Clear copper. Light bubbles. .. Fruity with malty power. Decent balance as there’s a bitter presence throughout (mostly in finish). … Medium-light body, medium carbonation. .. Wow - what a tasty IPA. Hops are powerful, but nicely balanced with the malt. Excellent overall

droopy49 (97) - Lancaster, California, USA - JUN 13, 2006
22 oz bottle, thanks to Sven for sharing this at his homebrew party! This poured a nice amber color with a medium off-white head. Lots of hype for this beer so I was somewhat disappointed. Batch brewed in Feb ’06, good hoppy aroma, some citrus notes. Flavor was suprisingly malty. Yes, there were plenty of hops, but not as much delicious hop flavor as anticipated. Good beer nonetheless.

ChazMania (669) - Oceanside, California, USA - JUN 12, 2006
WOW!! One of the best Double IPA’s I have had. My bro and I shared a bottle down at Naja’s in Redondo Beach (Calif). We had a few other great beers before this, but wow, this was full and huge! Very thick, rich and a long lasting huge hop kick, just how I like it. If I found this in a store, I’d buy a case. Simply awesome. I have had the Avery std IPA and only thought it was so-so. This Maharaja rawks!!!!