overall

RATINGS: 2053   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.97/5   IBU: 102   EST. CALORIES: 306   ABV: 10.2%
Maharaja is derived from the sanskrit words mahat, - "great" and rajan - "king". Much like its namesake, this imperial IPA is regal, intense and mighty. With hops and malts as his servants, he rules both with a heavy hand. The Maharaja flaunts his authority over a deranged amount of hops: tangy, vibrant and pungent along with an insane amount of malted barley - fashioning a dark amber hue and exquisite malt essence. This newest Avery Dictator completes the "Dictator Series" joining the likes of The Kaiser & The Czar. Be aware that The Maharaja is a limited release only available for the summer. Welcome to his kingdom!

Editor’s Note: the 2007 version was 9.78%.
2014 - 10.2%

NephrenKa (27) - Ft. Collins, Colorado, USA - JUL 28, 2006
IPA’s are easily my favorite beers. This being my first double or Imperial IPA, I was quite excited. *Head* - large, thick, enduring. *Color* - bloody dark bronze. *Nose* - TUNA FISH!! I shit thee not. The sour warmth does bring a surprising sweetness. *1st taste* - weak, not much initial taste. *Middle* - burning, tingling hops, quite bitter. *After* - glowing, throbbing, ecstatic flavors remain. *Overall* - If it didn’t smell like tunafish, I would have enjoyed it more. Overall, it might kick a little too much for my tastes.

Brewso (238) - Mt Kisco, New York, USA - JUL 26, 2006
I admit that I’m a sucker for double IPAs. What this one lacks in lush, sweet enveloping malt it makes up for in the belgian tripel like spices of the hops. I’m not sure if I’m being led here by the packaging but there is an Indian spice quality that makes this one unique. Again I’m a dubloIPAophile- so if you are too, get this, if not...I got nothin’ for ya.

shadey (2171) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 26, 2006
2006 Bottle. Fresh. Clear mellon color with a nice creamy white head. Aroma is very fresh grapefruit. The hop flavor has stinging freshness. A real beauty.

GuilTTy (2264) - Cherry Hill, New Jersey, USA - JUL 23, 2006
Vibrant and hazy orange pour under a tall white head. Intense grapefruit, pine, floral and hoppy aroma. Aggressively hoppy flavor but still balanced nicely by a sturdy malt backbone which tasted somewhat more roasted than I expected. Some notes of pepper, anise and lemon zest in the flavor mix as well. Round and silky mouthfeel and a crisp bitter finish but with a pronounced alcohol bite at the very end.

lordeche (479) - Quincy, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 21, 2006
Pours amber-golden color with moderate head. Well pronounced malts balance out the hoppy flavor. I don’t get the 112 IBU’s though. For some reason the malts are really pronounced... in this bottle at least. Not as much bite as i would expect, but this brew is an interesting buy.

cab (866) - DENMARK - JUL 20, 2006
This beer is one that have one the top my list. Amber in color, clear heavy cloying sweetness, very bitter, full body,

antzman (325) - Clarksville, Indiana, USA - JUL 19, 2006
Bottle. The aroma is tremendous. Citrus, pine, flowery, and hops all combine to make me drool. The flavor is initially mild. A nice malt/hop balance, with a bit of citrus. As you drink more, the incredible IBU level kicks in, erasing your palate. Not a session beer (unless one beer is the session), but a well put together IPA. I never would have expected the alcohol level to be so high. You could not taste it at all.

redave (166) - squaw valley, California, USA - JUL 18, 2006
Another fine example of a great Double IPA! Big Beer. Nice amber color, with a large creamy head.... super lacing all the way down. Rather sweet flowery with some grassy hoppiness aroma. My notes keep saying SUPER. Hoppy oils on my tongue. Big hoppy flavor with good balancing of maltiness, sorta sweet. Man i gotta order this stuff. As will all cask conditioned, nice mild carbonation. It appears that San Diego might be heading up the cask- conditioned part of this world.

sersdf (1020) - chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 17, 2006
totally clear, close to brown. kinda ugly dirtyish head. pretty caramelly aroma, very hoppy. no alcohol. taste is pretty complex i’d say, for an IIPA. heavily malty, but i’d be remiss to say there’s not a heavy hoppy bitterness in the finish. zero alcohol in the flavor. kinda light bodied. on another day i might find this an all-over-the-place beer that didn’t know what it wanted to be. but today, i like it. a good bit.

kms399 (267) - plymouth, Minnesota, USA - JUL 17, 2006
pours a light orangish red with a light white head.aroma is AWSOME! man I love this. has a very strong citrusy grapefruit hop aroma with a bit of malt and caramel thrown in for good measure. taste is full of citrusy hops with a light grapefruit. dry bitter mouthfeel but a short lived after taste of grapefruit. another great beer from Avery.