overall
RATINGS: 1453   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of Sales Mgr. Tom Boogaard's grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to both our "small brewery, BIG BEERS" philosophy and to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart, a heart of candy sugar. It contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into our mash tun, and lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content. Cellarable for 4 years.

Tonsk45 (17) - Santa Fe, California, USA - APR 10, 2005
nice orange color. wood smell. very fruity with the alcohol coming through a little bit.

Cornfield (5570) - Oak Forest, Illinois, USA - APR 9, 2005
Well the head sure didn’t last long, but the clear copper/ruby body had strong eye appeal. The aroma is a fruity one, cherries and plums, with some spiciness. The flavor is very candy-like, caramel malts with molasses, hot spices, and alcohol. It has a dry, spicy, alcoholic finish. Not a great abt, but a pretty decent drink.

SuIIy (1983) - Burlington, Vermont, USA - APR 9, 2005
Smelled like something similar to bleach. Poured a dark, cloudy brown with thick head. One of the best labels ive seen. Little bit too much for my taste, but not a bad beer.

thehoff (598) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - APR 8, 2005
Nice red color, no real head. Smells of banana, bubble gum, malty, floral. That has a lot of flavor. Very sweet. The slightest bitterness. I find it a little too much initial sweetness without a lot of depth. Good beer but I could handle perhaps an 8 or 10 oz version myself.

SayNoToCoors (65) - Wheat Ridge, Colorado, USA - APR 8, 2005
In my opinion this brew is quite underrated. Ah whatever, to each their own I suppose. Anyways this brew pours a brilliant copper hue. This brew is actually quite complex and although it weighs in at a hefty 10% abv, the alcohol is masked decently (albiet still present). This has a good candi-sugar and maple syrup flavor. IMO very good!

ivan9856 (191) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 5, 2005
This 1 pt. 9 fl. oz. Belgian quadruple comes bottle-capped, but pours a crystal clear amber in color with an enormous rocky, off-white head that left some truly beautiful lacing. The aroma is rich caramel, molasses, orange peel and clove. There is a syrupy sweet palate entry owing to the Belgian specialty malts and dark candy sugar. Flavors quickly develop into orange pekoe tea, honey and clove. A short, mild hop finish with warming alcohol follows. I enjoyed this beer but it could be improved with a traditional cork and cage enclosure, some bottle conditioning and a touch more hop flavor.

Palidor19 (3188) - Brandon, Florida, USA - APR 5, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2007 When I poured this big bad boy, I was overwhelmed how much like character it has in it. A beautiful Copper with an off-white head. Taste of Candy sugar, honey, cloves. Plus its strong as Hell!! I don’t think I can finish it because I’ll asleep before I do Another Winner from Avery

SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - APR 2, 2005
Bottle. Poured copper and clear. I really wasn’t expecting the clear part. Aroma is sweet and musty, with hints of citrus, currants and a little astringency. The flavor is very inconsistant. One sip is very astringent, the next is sweet. Currants and cloves are the strongest flavor with those candy sugars on their heels. After the currants and alcohol numb your tongue, the reverand slams the back of your throat with a dry bitterness. Overall, it’s alright. A bit too inconsistant.

Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2005
25 oz bottle. Had this out of new Duvel glass I also purchased tonight. I didn’t have any Duvel to break it in with so I might as well go with another Belgian style beer. Pours out brown (red? can’t tell in this light) yet fairly transparent. Decent whitish head. Smells really sugary and sweet. Taste is very sweet, with no alcohol detectable. Almost too much on the sweet side but I’ll put that down to it being fairly "young". Spices are good. Can’t really taste anything resembling the fruit that’s mentioned in the descriptiion but that might just be me. Good stuff all around. I might pick up another bottle or two and throw them in the cellar for a year or so

ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - MAR 29, 2005
aroma is sweet fruitiness with some hops...color is ok.. i prefer a darker beer, but whatever..alcohol is hidden well with a huge malty sweetness..almost too sweet. finish is ..you guessed it, sweet. over all its not too bad, but i probably wont buy it again.. it got me drunk tho.. 10% will do that to ya