overall
RATINGS: 1449   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of Sales Mgr. Tom Boogaard's grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to both our "small brewery, BIG BEERS" philosophy and to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart, a heart of candy sugar. It contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into our mash tun, and lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content. Cellarable for 4 years.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
ivan9856 (191) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - APR 5, 2005
This 1 pt. 9 fl. oz. Belgian quadruple comes bottle-capped, but pours a crystal clear amber in color with an enormous rocky, off-white head that left some truly beautiful lacing. The aroma is rich caramel, molasses, orange peel and clove. There is a syrupy sweet palate entry owing to the Belgian specialty malts and dark candy sugar. Flavors quickly develop into orange pekoe tea, honey and clove. A short, mild hop finish with warming alcohol follows. I enjoyed this beer but it could be improved with a traditional cork and cage enclosure, some bottle conditioning and a touch more hop flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Palidor19 (3180) - Brandon, Florida, USA - APR 5, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 15, 2007 When I poured this big bad boy, I was overwhelmed how much like character it has in it. A beautiful Copper with an off-white head. Taste of Candy sugar, honey, cloves. Plus its strong as Hell!! I dont think I can finish it because Ill asleep before I do Another Winner from Avery

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
SwedeDog (364) - Windsor, Connecticut, USA - APR 2, 2005
Bottle. Poured copper and clear. I really wasnt expecting the clear part. Aroma is sweet and musty, with hints of citrus, currants and a little astringency. The flavor is very inconsistant. One sip is very astringent, the next is sweet. Currants and cloves are the strongest flavor with those candy sugars on their heels. After the currants and alcohol numb your tongue, the reverand slams the back of your throat with a dry bitterness. Overall, its alright. A bit too inconsistant.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Jine (903) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2005
25 oz bottle. Had this out of new Duvel glass I also purchased tonight. I didnt have any Duvel to break it in with so I might as well go with another Belgian style beer. Pours out brown (red? cant tell in this light) yet fairly transparent. Decent whitish head. Smells really sugary and sweet. Taste is very sweet, with no alcohol detectable. Almost too much on the sweet side but Ill put that down to it being fairly "young". Spices are good. Cant really taste anything resembling the fruit thats mentioned in the descriptiion but that might just be me. Good stuff all around. I might pick up another bottle or two and throw them in the cellar for a year or so

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
ian2000gsxr (69) - USA - MAR 29, 2005
aroma is sweet fruitiness with some hops...color is ok.. i prefer a darker beer, but whatever..alcohol is hidden well with a huge malty sweetness..almost too sweet. finish is ..you guessed it, sweet. over all its not too bad, but i probably wont buy it again.. it got me drunk tho.. 10% will do that to ya

1.3
   AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 1/5   TASTE 2/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 2/20
CP (124) - USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2008 Wow this crap is terrible. My nose was a little off tonight, but damn stuff was bad. It poured thick and had a nice brown coloration about it. I could have vomitted in the glass and probably wouldnt have been able to tell the difference. It also gave me a great headache after finishing. The reverend really f**ked me in the ass.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2005
This was going to be my Easter beer but I endulged too much the night before and had no interest in drinking on Sunday. Oh well, was just fine with dinner on Monday after Easter. Copper to Amber color with a wispy white head. The aroma is spicy (cardamom and coriander?) as well as having dried fruit hints (raisin?). I dont know what that body/flavor is but every time I note Belgian candy sugar I taste/feel this thing. Identifiable to me were an initial sweetness that was a bit cotton candy like. There were also banana, apple and raison. Spice was also present. The body was slick and oily, which really let the sweetness stick around. Not bad but not anything Ill be trying again soon.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
frankenkitty (2008) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Good looking beer... a rusty-orange with slight haziness and a mostly lasting off-white head. Sour citrus aroma with pineapple, cherries and floral hops. Alcohol aromas emerged as it warmed. Matching flavor with spiced sour-fruitiness. I think the Reverend was a boxer because he kicked my ass.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Beverage Depot<font size=-1>

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 24, 2005
Pours a clear orangish red color and a medium head. Aroma is sweet malt and some spices with a bit of yeast. Flavor follows suit.. Nice malty flavor with a bit of spiciness and yeast with a raisin, fig and maple addition. The 10% alcohol is hidden well.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2005
Pours a clear copper with an oily body and small off white head. Aroma was sweet with caramel, dark fruit, and spice. Sweet and spicy flavor matches the aroma. Medium body but thin on the flavor. Alcohol is picked up in both flavor and warming sensation.