%>
overall
RATINGS: 1434   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of Sales Mgr. Tom Boogaard's grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to both our "small brewery, BIG BEERS" philosophy and to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart, a heart of candy sugar. It contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into our mash tun, and lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content. Cellarable for 4 years.

1.3
CP (124) - USA - MAR 28, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 28, 2008 Wow this crap is terrible. My nose was a little off tonight, but damn stuff was bad. It poured thick and had a nice brown coloration about it. I could have vomitted in the glass and probably wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference. It also gave me a great headache after finishing. The reverend really f**ked me in the ass.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - MAR 28, 2005
This was going to be my Easter beer but I endulged too much the night before and had no interest in drinking on Sunday. Oh well, was just fine with dinner on Monday after Easter. Copper to Amber color with a wispy white head. The aroma is spicy (cardamom and coriander?) as well as having dried fruit hints (raisin?). I don’t know what that body/flavor is but every time I note “Belgian candy sugar” I taste/feel this thing. Identifiable to me were an initial sweetness that was a bit cotton candy like. There were also banana, apple and raison. Spice was also present. The body was slick and oily, which really let the sweetness stick around. Not bad but not anything I’ll be trying again soon.

frankenkitty (2012) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - MAR 27, 2005
Good looking beer... a rusty-orange with slight haziness and a mostly lasting off-white head. Sour citrus aroma with pineapple, cherries and floral hops. Alcohol aromas emerged as it warmed. Matching flavor with spiced sour-fruitiness. I think the Reverend was a boxer because he kicked my ass.

<font size=-4><a href=http://www.ratebeer.com/Places/ShowPlace.asp? Beverage Depot<font size=-1>

Ray1975 (251) - Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, USA - MAR 24, 2005
Pours a clear orangish red color and a medium head. Aroma is sweet malt and some spices with a bit of yeast. Flavor follows suit.. Nice malty flavor with a bit of spiciness and yeast with a raisin, fig and maple addition. The 10% alcohol is hidden well.

goldtwins (4320) - Nesconset, New York, USA - MAR 14, 2005
Pours a clear copper with an oily body and small off white head. Aroma was sweet with caramel, dark fruit, and spice. Sweet and spicy flavor matches the aroma. Medium body but thin on the flavor. Alcohol is picked up in both flavor and warming sensation.

ChillCoat (1029) - Concord, California, USA - MAR 11, 2005
Bottled. Pours ruby red with no head. Very faint aroma- I can’t seem to make it out it’s so faint. My nose could be a little off tonight. Malty assualt at first sip! Tons of dark fruit notes and sweet, sweet, sweet. Did I mention it’s sweet? A bit of lingering sweetness on the tongue as well in the aftertaste.

papajohn (1250) - San Diego (Mira Mesa), California, USA - MAR 11, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 16, 2007 Ruby-amber color with a small off white head. Spicy and yeasty aroma. Flavor starts with a pelthra of spices, sweet fruity notes (dark cherry, apple cider) and a hint of mint leaf. Finish is tangy and dry. Smooth rich palate. A belly warmer, but the 10% ABV is well hidden.

BrockLanders (780) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAR 9, 2005
Bottle. Pours a translucent orange with almost no head. Nose is sweet aromas of spicy orange and cotton candy, hint of alcohol. Taste is very sugary, cloying to be sure, but later on you do get some maltiness--caramel and fruits--and some genuine hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is light, but the alcohol comes on and makes you forget about that shortcoming. Finish reminds you about the sugary beginnings. It’s ok.

aspidites (1272) - manteca, California, USA - MAR 9, 2005
Very soft mouthfeel for such a big beer. Raisins figs and plumsfigure in with a turbinado candy suagar aspect. almost no carbonation. Plantains vanilla and brandy notes figure big on the palate. with a good clean finish.

DragonStout (1416) - Groveport, Ohio, USA - MAR 9, 2005
The aromas I get are sweet fruit.Tastes is actually of figs and dates.the alcohol is present and the body is slightly heavy.Has a great feel in the mouth with flavors everywhere.I have yet to have a bad brew form the boys at Avery.