overall

RATINGS: 1439   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.55/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
The Reverend, was created in tribute to the life of Sales Mgr. Tom Boogaard's grandfather, an ordained Episcopal Reverend. Tom was inspired by the life of his grandfather and wanted to create a tribute beer that contained his sterling traits. True to both our "small brewery, BIG BEERS" philosophy and to the spirit and character of the departed Reverend, this beer is strong willed, assertive, and pure of heart, a heart of candy sugar. It contains as many authentic imported Belgian specialty malts as the brewers could cram into our mash tun, and lots of Belgian dark candy sugar stirred into the brew kettle. A divinely complex and beautifully layered beer with hints of dark cherries, currants, and molasses, complimented by an underlying spiciness. Sinfully smooth considering the high alcohol content. Cellarable for 4 years.

KevinReddirt (237) - Midland, Texas, USA - JAN 12, 2018
Mighty unsure of a quad that comes from a 12 oz can. But here it is in my hand so let's give it a shot. This beer was picked up in Santa Fe in the early fall. Pop the tab and in it goes to my tulip glass. I see a black-gold liquid, curious, finished by a strong eggshell white head. The scent, decent, fills the room, yellow fruit, grain, ribbon candy. Again not exactly quadrupel standard. But all this is the lead up to the taste. I would call it more a Belgian ale inclination. There is some red plum, malt, a touch of cane sugar sweetness, red cherry. The 10% abv is completely covered. Not bad, not great. a departure from the expected at best.

Block (3222) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 31, 2017
Backlog entry prior to closing out 2017. Well rounded, as expected. Nothing too unusual. It's strong.

erikaraeb (325) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - NOV 23, 2017
Cinnamon, clove, and perhaps some tomato? More of a watery dubbel than a quad

Bill Becker (2008) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - OCT 24, 2017
From Apr 2007 This one pours from foil wrapped 22oz bottle a clear copper colour witha large head of foam that shrank quickly leaving a fine broken layer with some lacing. The smell is of yeast and fruit, mainly dark fruit. Quite nice. The taste is mainly fruit up front. I can taste some fig, apricot, plum, followed by a strong yeast flavour , some candy sugar, and some bread. More sips in and the alcohol becomes more noticeable with some graininess coming through as well.To be honest, I can't say the flavours are working very well together and I'm finding it difficult to take more sips. This brew just doesn't work for me, I reckon. Bottom line: This is my first bottle of The Reverend and I'd daresay, it will be my last. The flavours were just too chaotic for my palate.

rumproasts (6052) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - OCT 13, 2017
can. Deep amber orange with very small head. Sweet with brown sugar, dark fruit, belgian candi sugar and a little spice. Plenty of booze, a little hot. Pretty good, but not elite.

luttonm (6966) - Seattle, Washington, USA - SEP 29, 2017
Can in Seattle. Dark rosy brown, rich mahogany. Rich, fruity raisin on nose, along with alcohol. A bit of dark spice, some ester. Rich and full body, but a touch inelegant. Bit of pepper. Alcohol richness but low burn.