overall

RATINGS: 550   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 507   ABV: 16.9%
Jacob Spears, our 6th Great Grand Uncle, is credited as the first distiller to label his whiskey "Bourbon." He built his distillery in Bourbon County, Kentucky in 1790 - 203 years before began brewing. While obviously a bit too late to produce Uncle Jacob’s wash, we’ve instead created something far more complex. In his honor, we present this robust, silky smooth, full-bodied and altogether extremely American rendition of an Imperial Stout aged for 6 months in the very finest bourbon barrels. This explains a lot about our penchant for big brews! It’s in our blood!
Brewed with Rocky Mountain Water, Malter Barley, Flaked Oats, Hops and Yeast.

zebra (2142) - Illinois, USA - JUN 21, 2012
couldn’t walk by publican without going in, and couldn’t see this on the menu without trying it. glad i did. brown, pale, roasty, clove, light, thick, rocky, creamy, leaves, hazy, ginger

SPDickerman (1239) - Texas, USA - AUG 8, 2012
Pours pitch black with a dark brown head. Smells nutty, chocolate, coffee, and of big bourbon flavors. Taste is bold, roasted, bourbon sweetness, chocolate, coffee, and mild molasses. Full-bodied with a smooth texture and super soft mouth-carbonation, Avery Uncle Jacob’s Stout finishes with a bold roasted and bourbon notes.

sjohnny (636) - - OCT 27, 2012
Bottle shared with Labfrogg. Plum, raisin, coffee, a lot like Port aroma. Pours dark black with quickly dissipating tan head that almost boils away. Cascade of flavors. Coffee, bourbon, molasses, dried fruit. Simply amazing. The best beer I have had to date. Thanks, bro.

blm225 (8) - Texas, USA - JAN 11, 2013 does not count
The best I’ve ever tasted, period. I encountered this fine rarity last June. I bought one and drank it that night. The next day I went back to the store and bought out the entire shelf. The following day I did the same. I guess I purchased 36 bottles of this and I have shared plenty with friends. They seem to have the same opinion I have. The ale improves with age after 6 months.

MHOSKINS (83) - Cleveland, Tennessee, USA - MAR 23, 2014
Scary good. Beware! Huge ABV that is well disguised in this balanced beast of a stout. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

RRG991981 (9) - Menominee, Michigan, USA - SEP 28, 2016 does not count
The bourbon barrel stout I judge all others by, malty, smooth and silky, vanilla, caramel, and a slight smokiness. This beer has no equal. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

doctorbarn () - Virginia, USA - JUL 27, 2017
UPDATED: JUL 27, 2017 Love this stout heavy on the ABV Have several bottles of aging

kimjongill (207) - - AUG 2, 2012
UPDATED: OCT 28, 2012 Have tried on tap and from bottle. Big alcohol presence. Less intrusive coffee flavor than is present in Mephistopheles stout and some other big imperials. Almost no head, but it’s a dark tan color that wonderfully offsets the black of the beer itself. The complex flavor that makes the backbone of this beer is one of the most impressive I’ve ever experienced, and could maybe only be topped by Founders CBS.

bbcd (214) - Austin, Texas, USA - SEP 7, 2013
batch #2. pitch black, minimal dark brown head with short retention and no lacing. dark chocolate, slight courbon, oak, vanilla, toast, toffee, booze, molasses. heavy sweet, heavy bitter. full body, exceptionally smooth and creamy feel, soft carb, hot.

BVery (10510) - Plymouth, Minnesota, USA - OCT 4, 2013
Bottle via trade. Super dark thick pour with a reddish brown head. Huge aroma of bourbon, wood, dark chocolate, soy, and some booze. Warming taste with a nice full palate. This is crazy good! Had side-by-side with regular BCS, and it beat BCS (for me). No kidding. It’s that good.