overall
RATINGS: 56   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 189   ABV: 6.3%
Available year-round.

Avondale’s beloved Miss Fancy the Elephant’s favorite pastime was to guzzle bootleg beer and whiskey. We share Miss Fancy’s affinity for tasty brews, which is why we were inspired to add a twist to one of our favorites: with hints of exotic vanilla extract, we think the Vanillaphant Porter would have been one of Miss Fancy’s favorites too!

The Vanillaphant is a superb vanilla porter, an ale which is surprisingly light bodied for its robust flavor and has all the chocolate and roasted nut flavors you would expect in a porter but with a special vanilla twist at the end. We use the worlds finest hand selected vanilla beans from the bourbon islands of Madagascar in our recipe. The malty and vanilla sweetness are perfectly balanced with hoppy bitterness.

jacksondrf (1) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - FEB 28, 2013 does not count
Probably one of my favorite beers at the moment. Had it from the tap at Avondale. Rich flavor with a dark appearance with a tannish head. Tremendous taste, and I usually do not prefer Porters.

1stRndDraught (10) - Birmingham, USA - APR 30, 2013
A downright impressive porter! I’m always skeptical of porters that have flavorings in the description, but this one nails it. The "Vanillaphant" as it has been termed, is always my go-to beer when I stop in the tap room. Additionally, it is one of the best dark beers that J Clyde offers.

CrazEase (7) - Alabama, USA - APR 19, 2016 does not count
Pretty good tasting beer. Vanilla is present, light coffee roasted flavor, fairly dark. Good dose of hops present but not an ipa. I kind of whish it was a little higher gravity, it kind of was thick on the palate, possibly due to the vanilla. I would recommend it, its quite the treat.

onceblind (9708) - Denver, Colorado, USA - JUL 24, 2014
Black pour under a sticky foamy dark tan head. The aroma is nice and roasty with a cool pseudo-minty vanilla tone about it. Not terribly chocolaty on the nose, more roasty sweet than anything else. The flavor starts out roasty sweet as well followed by a smooth dark earthy chocolate tone, followed by a herbal vanilla and pseudo-mint tone. Really comes together really well, has more mint tones than I’m used to (and thats a good thing), with a smooth sweet drinkability.

ibrubeer (385) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - FEB 17, 2015
Draft @ Mugshots, BHM. Nice aroma of roasty and a little vanilla. Dark and opaque, with a touch of reddish brown on the edges. Tan head, but quickly dissipates. Nice balance of vanilla and chocolate malt. Full bodied. Overall a really good vanilla porter! Tastes very similar to mine, but maybe a touch less vanilla.

AndyW68 (1542) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 29, 2016
Near black pour with thin tan head. Aroma is cocoa. Taste is light dark chocolate, roasted nuts and a little vanilla. Not much bitterness. Pleasant and a tad better than average. Not one of my top though.

brentfeesh (1208) - Mansfield, Ohio, USA - APR 28, 2012
Very dark black pour with a frothy head. Roasty and lightly sweet aroma, coffers too I think. Creamy coffee flavor with plenty of roast and a hint of vanilla. Medium body, creamy mouthfeel with a dry finish. Very nice.

Vestlake (279) - Birmingham, Alabama, USA - JUL 9, 2013
On tap at Bonefish Grill. Dark brown color, vanilla aroma, no head on this glass. Nice smooth taste. Excellent, really enjoyed this one.

Travlr (24930) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - NOV 21, 2014
Draft. Dark maroon briwn color, brown head. Nice aroma of vanilla, dates, plums. Taste has more canilla, coffee, dark fruit. Tasty.

PorterPounder (7971) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - APR 4, 2015
Thick dark black pour, sticky mocha colored head. Vanilla and chocolate chips in the aroma. Roasty flavor with some nice espresso notes, sweet vanilla., dark chocolate, Thick, rich mothfeel. Thanks to whomever brought this to Proof tasting.