overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Heller Bock
Aying, Germany
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 106   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   SEASONAL: Spring   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with plenty of malt, hops and love, Ayinger Maibock is a big-bodied beer with a sweet, malty aroma, a rousing head and a fruity long lasting aftertastaste.

muzzlehatch (4959) - Beloit, Wisconsin, USA - NOV 13, 2001
Astonishing. Incredibly gorgeous to look at, with a wonderful solid-gold medium body and rich-looking cream-colored head. The aroma is incredible, I can’t begin to describe it, full of malt and acidic fruit flavors; and the flavor is almost too much on top of that. Ultra-malty, as malty as the Optimator I had yesterday, but with just a bit of lightness and fruitiness to keep it from being too heavy; and alcohol is nowhere present. Perhaps too quick a finish, but a world-class beer from a world-class brewere nonetheless.

austinpowers (2828) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 25, 2002
UPDATED: MAY 5, 2003 An absolutely delicious and oddly unusual beer! This may well be the best damn Ayinger beer I've had yet. Gorgeous looking and surprisingly sweet. I MUST have this again. RERATE: Sweetness hides the alcohol content extremely well. Once again, stellar! Thanks Hopsrus.

TADDYPRTR (6) - USA - JUN 12, 2003 does not count
The aftertaste is encouraging. It has been a long time since i have actually looked forward to finishing a beer. Nice and Dark. Good social beer also.

opiate (199) - Sandy, Utah, USA - NOV 27, 2000
This is a perfect maibock in my ever so humble opinion. Very malty, smooth, and while it’s straw color seems innocent, this stuff packs a bit of a punch. A great beer. I think this is a good gateway beer, one to get drinkers of Budmilloors into ’better’ beer.

DavidWoodruff (624) - Windsor, California, USA - SEP 14, 2013
Best Maibock ever - and they stopped making it????? Malty, sweet but not cloying. A near perfect beer.

Hopistotle420 (1178) - Amherst, Massachusetts, USA - APR 4, 2005
This is an oldie Ive been waiting to taste. Deep gold body. Perfectly tight cream colored head. Seductive nose, big pale malts, and lots of fruit. Pale and sweet, malted milk, pear, pineapple, creamy body, finising with no alcohol in sight. This is quite delicious, and I wish I had a whole bunch more. It seems like it may have changed a bit with age, but this is still quite perfect.

roacheater (43) - Alabama, USA - FEB 15, 2010
dear, ayinger.... bring this beer back you boneheads.................................

Sammys (428) - Portland, Maine, USA - JAN 23, 2001
I loved this stuff. Had a strong maltiness, with a good balanced aftertaste. I probably poured this a bit too cold, as it got better as it warmed up. I’d recommend cellat temperatures at most for this one. Also, this reminded me a lot of some Samuel Smith’s brews, but being $1.30 cheaper, I’d much rather go for this. A must try.

Ernest (7696) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 8, 2001
As pale bocks go, this is wonderful. Malt is VERY strong in both aroma and flavor, and ever so slightly sweet. Nice honey color. My appreciation for Ayinger’s offerings continues to grow; their weissbiers are possibly my favorites in that style (even after visiting Mu:nchen and trying quite a few), and who can deny the quality of their Celebrator doppelbock? The Maibock is a winner as well...it’s hard to imagine it being much better than this, at least for what I look for in pale bocks (bearing in mind that I am partial to ales, not lagers). Note: my numeric ratings are compared ONLY to other pale bocks.

MaxPower (961) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAY 28, 2002
This is the way maibock should be, golden color nice thick head sweet malty flavor and aroma.