overall
Brewed by Brauerei Aying
Style: Oktoberfest/Märzen
Aying, Germany
Serve in Dimpled mug, Stein

RATINGS: 1484   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.6/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Ayinger Oktober Fest Märzen has a deep golden color tinted with amber. It is lightly sweet with a malty nose balanced with floral hops. Its medium to big body and alcohol is not overpowering. The soft dryness comes from long maturation.

Walt (2449) - Austin, Texas, USA - AUG 7, 2004
Pours lighter than I expected...orangey amber...smells very malty and a little floral...tastes much the same...very malty and caramel extremely smooth and delicious...one of the best Marzen beers I have ever had...

3fourths (9358) - Boulder, Colorado, USA - AUG 31, 2004
Bottle. Bright and clear golden orange color with a just off-white head. Light nose of fall leaves, grains, whole wheat bread, a little bit of overripe apples and pears. A bit of a bite of hops near the finish, after a decent presentation of semi-sweet apples, wheat, slight vegetables and honey.

rajendra82 (1103) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - OCT 10, 2004
The beer arrived in a 500 ml. bottle, with packaging styled similarly for most of this brewery’s offerings. The body was golden pale in color with a creamy off-white head that faded into decent lacing. The smell was very faint for the style, with only a hint of the underlying Munich caramel malts. The taste was a malty as anticipated but had a bit more hop bitterness and lemony tang than other festbiers I’ve had. There was also a faint metallic twang in there. The aftertaste was grainy and mouthfeel medium-thin. Sessionable seasonal offering, but not an exceptional drink.

Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - NOV 24, 2004
Pours a light orange color. White fluffy head. Aroma of oranges and malt. Flavor is very broad for the style, lots of malt and hops. refreshing finish, a great beer. Thanks to Heemer for this Tasty Brew.

cathcacr (647) - Oregon, USA - JAN 29, 2005
UPDATED: JAN 31, 2005 Not one to fiddle-fart around, I went straight to the top, the standard setter, the big honcho, the head cheese of the Oktoberfesten-Marzen model, from the makers of the world’s top rated Doppelbockenbrau. My first O-M. Which presents me with some apprehension: Did I get a good bottle? Is this really what Oktoberfesten-Marzen bier is supposed to taste like? I can only go on the basis of what I know. This does strike me as, well, German in character. Germans like those malts. Put some more malts in it and you’ve got a bock. Soft and sweet, some sort of fruity sugariness. I think I must be missing out on something -- maybe it’s that I’m not tasting this in the properly designated month. For some gawdawful reason, I always associated O-M with the color orange, and now I guess I know why.

Aw, heck with it, I’ll cut to the chase: give me some HOPS for crying out loud. Do ze Germans give us brau other than heavily-malted or lagery ones? I’m trying to think here . . . well, I guess they give us wheaty ones, too. Damn. Der Weizendunkelbock mit de Kritik der Reinen Vernunft. Ja. Oddervize vee kill ze girl. Seems you hef forgotten our little deal, Lebowskhee.

Come on, Donny, they were threatening castration. Are we gonna split hairs here? Am I wrong?

DarkElf (3067) - La Jolla, California, USA - JUL 10, 2005
(500 ml bottle: $1.99 at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA) Moderately sweet, malty and mildly caramely, with a gentle bitterness. This is lighter than most American Oktoberfests, and is less flavorful than even some of the other imported German Oktoberfests, but it still has a nice classic German maltiness. The nose isn’t especially aromatic either, but it’s noticeably malty, just with less richness and character than others I’ve had. Soft, smooth palate, well carbonated, easy to drink. Medium golden color seems pretty light for the style, and the moderate cloudiness was a surprise, but then I noticed a fair amount of sediment in the bottom of the bottle. Whitish head pours to about an inch, and has great staying power, leaving deposits lots of lace on the glass as I drink the beer. It’s not a great beer, but it’s a nice, simple Oktoberfest that tries to finess its way to your taste buds. I guess the issue is that when I’m in the mood to drink a German Oktoberfest, I’m looking for a solid maltiness, and this just comes up a bit short.

iratherbe (255) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - SEP 19, 2005
Bottle to start the Oktober Fest season! A Marzen that is somewhat leaning to a reddish amber brown hue in color. Slight sweet malt on the tongue and palate; the same on the nose and in aroma. A softer balanced body, medium in substance and alcohol content. A fine product.

yayforbeer (753) - Orange Park, Florida, USA - OCT 13, 2005
500ml bottle. My bottle labeled 5.6% ABV. Golden amber color with a thick creamy head and lacing. Aroma of malt and musty hay. Flavor is malty with a spicy hop finish, and some grassiness. A little crisp, and a little too much lager flavor. Excellent quality, but I still prefer the Hacker-Pschorr and the Paulaner in this style. $2.49 at Broudy’s, Orange Park FL.

jbrus (4988) - Delft, NETHERLANDS - NOV 20, 2005
Tap at the Laupheimer brewery. Fruity pear and apple aroma, light herbal as well. Hazy, amber color, beige head, good lace. Sweet, very light bitter, light herbal, fruity (pear, lychee), medium body, little sticky.

beeryum (652) - Norcross, Georgia, USA - JAN 10, 2006
Bottle. Darker ambery color, compared to other Octoberfests sampled together. Rich malty and a touch fruity aroma. More caramel malty flavors, and a touch of bread or dough. Drinks smooth.