overall
Brewed by Badger (Hall & Woodhouse)
Style: English Strong Ale
Blandford Forum, England

RATINGS: 241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.12/5   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
Bottle: Pasteurised.
Seeking out the treasures of the countryside and making the most of local ingredients is an art shared by Badger and the wily poacher. Badger's Poacher's Choice captures unique rural flavours in a smooth, dark ale enhanced by a touch of liquorice for spicy sweetness and damson for a soft, subtly fruity taste. A gutsy ale that's worth tracking down.

Palme's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 5/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
Palme (4856) - Bergen, - AUG 21, 2012
0.5l bottle. Crystal clear in the pour, and it has a light nutty-brown color with a small lacing just off-white head. Actually a bit exciting on the aroma. Lot’s of fruity tones here. It actually smells a bit like fruity bubblegum. Quite sweet, but nice. It has a oily texture in the mouth and it’s average carbonated. The taste is even more bubblegum-like, and spicy! Not hot, but more strange-spicy. Some sort of ginger-root or something? This could easily have been a fruit or spice-beer. Ends light mouthdrying in the soapy finish, next with hints of bitter coffee, licorice and even some chocolate. Interesting one, but not exceptional good. 20.07.2012

p0urmeac0ld0ne (407) - Merthyr Tydfil, WALES - JAN 4, 2018
UPDATED: JAN 4, 2018 Oh wow, really fruity. Almost tastes like Christmas in a glass, although not marketed as such. Blown up, see cherry, forest fruit flavours… with surprisingly intense aftertaste. 500ml bottle.

suttontutor () - Surrey, ENGLAND - DEC 2, 2017
This is very probably the most foul and disgusting beer that I have ever tried. It is WAY too heavy on the overbearing fruit tones and reminds me of the stinking old cherry flavour cigars that my grandfather used to smoke. Even now, 12 hours after drinking it, I still have the dense aftertaste in my mouth!

ale_lover (12) - - NOV 23, 2017
Raspberries, cherries, very sweet. If you like ciders chances are you will like it. I could not even finish this.

iamnosuperman () - Leicestershire, ENGLAND - NOV 16, 2017
Basically this taste like a lemsip. It isn't the badger out there. I would pass on this one

HalfCutConnoisseur (2) - Berkshire, ENGLAND - OCT 17, 2017 does not count
This beer was quite a turning point for me. I was not a big beer drinker before I tried Poacher's Choice a couple of years back, before this beer I had only tried the likes of Peroni, which I found to be about as insipid as Robinson's lemon squash, but this beer made me realize beer was not just a bland and uncultured aperitivo to ultraviolence for knuckle dragging Wetherspooners, beer could actually be for discerning adults who were capable of things such as civilized conversation and joined up handwriting etc, I found beer could stimulate the palate like a glass of wine could and it was the first time I did not feel ill after drinking a glass of beer, I realised if you paid for a beer made by people like Hall & Woodhouse they were much more discerning about their craft and the experience could be a much better one. I still find this to be a lovely, dark and malty beer, ultimately it lead me to try lots of other quality beers, some good, some even better, but also absolute shockers (worst of all by far so far is 'Lech')! Highly recommended.

Davros IX (577) - Hertford, Hertfordshire, ENGLAND - OCT 16, 2017
Bottle at home from Tesco. Deep dark colour in the tankard and a nice head. A strong aroma of malt, dark fruit and a hint of liquorice. The taste was all about the liquorice and I had cooled it perfectly so it had calmed down and was layered into the flavour. The mouthfeel was lovely and smooth and there was a definite tang from the alcohol. A nice beer, but very rich and you couldn't have more than one.

Muffie (1) - Forestside, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - SEP 28, 2017 does not count
Myself and my husband have been drinking real ales at lunchtime all summer and Poachers Choice is the best one we have found all summer such a shame we have been only just discovered it. Roll on next summer. Thank you

r.zyrtau (3) - - AUG 26, 2017 does not count
Sweet and mildly aromatic, licorice gives some interesting taste. Worth trying. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

vinivini (3146) - Gomel, BELARUS - AUG 23, 2017
Bottle. Dark amber colour. Clear. Huge frothy off-white well-lacing head. Sweet fruity smell. Massive berry jam. Minor starch. Medium body. Sweet estery taste. Lots of berries again. Burnt sugar. Pleasant still too sweet I guess. Light hoppy bitterness in ending in not enough for balance. OK

Calisky (3150) - ALSACE, FRANCE - JUL 31, 2017
Courtesy of jaghana. Ambrée, légère mousse. Nez fruits rouges, caramel cuit. Gout fruit rouge avec astringence et un peu glucose, bon corps, fin sur la confiture fruits rouges et biscuits.