overall
Brewed by Balashi National Brewery Inc.
Style: Pale Lager
Santa Cruz, Aruba

RATINGS: 204   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.18/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The beer has a deep golden color totally clear and transparent, with a bitterness which is soft to the tongue and nose however with an aroma of fresh hops, a short aftertaste and easy on foam. The combination of all feels fresh and smooth to the mouth when cold, perfect for Aruba's hot climate.

Foxbush (2028) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - APR 28, 2009
Balashi is the beer brewed in Aruba from sea water. While on an Indiana Furniture trip to Aruba Balashi was the beer to drink. It was served everywhere you went. It was refreshing in the windy 90 degree climate. There is a slight bitterness but very smooth. This not a beer with much complexity. It a fun beer to drink while sitting on the water’s edge soaking the sun. The bottles were mostly small less than 9 oz. It went quickly.

frankenkitty (2012) - Oak Lawn, Illinois, USA - SEP 17, 2008
Despite storing this green-bottled delight away from any relevant light sources, a skunk-spray of nastiness emerged with the hiss of the bottle-crack. So... I let it sit for a while. A pale golden body exhibited mild effervescence while a bright white head fell with moderate quickness. At this point, I will just call that skunked aroma ~continental hoppiness,~ with a touch of bready yeasts beneath. Metallics and low fruit cancel each other out, but a cardboard essence truly detracts. Fluffy mouthfeel finishes dry, so I cannot say anything bad about the palate. Mild flavor with yellow apple and mild bitters. If I hold my nose this is an enjoyable lager. (Since my traditional html references no longer work, I will simply mention that this bottle came from a colleague of mine who vacationed in Aruba last year.) And I am truly disappointed that I cannot use common punctuation and quotations without having them dismembered into ampersands and gibberish.

yobdoog (1888) - Kingston, New York, USA - APR 23, 2009
Ok, so this is one of those beers you have to "just try" It’s from Aruba right. A golden beer flavored beverage. Great.

YourDarkLord (1800) - Urbana, Illinois, USA - JUL 6, 2007
Dark Daughter, Emily, brought this back from a trip to Aruba for the fun of it. Nothing expected and nothing received from this pale, watery, dishwater drink. The islands are noted for their rum. Stick to that.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Can brought back by a newlywed. Clear pale yellow body under a foamy head. Wet bread and pseudo-saaz hops. Light flavor - watered down pale malt and light zippy stem hops. No flaws, really. Just a solid pale lager with hops you can actually detect.

coldbrewky (1730) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - DEC 7, 2006
I found this beer to be totally forgettable. Thin, and barely worth the two bucks the cruise ship hawkers charged. I got it mainly because I didn’t have the cap in my collection. Bland. I’d rather drink water.

60minuteman (1712) - West Chester, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 9, 2013
Pale and malty. Corn and grass. It’s ok for what it is but I much prefer a chill. Thank you, Aruba

Barreras (1689) - Diamond Bar, California, USA - JUL 29, 2015
Pours a golden yellow color with a sweet malt aroma. Taste is malt, corn, and a light sweetness. A dry finish with little aftertaste. Thank you Willie Veloz for bringing me this beer direct from his vaction in Aruba.

Manslow (1649) - Warsaw, POLAND - APR 16, 2015
Butelka alk teoretycznie 5%. Piwo niepijalne. Piłem przeterminowane.Zapach podły, piany nie było,smak fatalny, zapach nieakceptowalny.

GarrettB (1599) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 28, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2007 My poor, dejected Balashi has been the Charlie Brown of my beer collection for almost two years. Without fail it has been insulted, pushed aside and ridiculed every time the box it’s stored in has been opened. Every day was a trial for that green-bottle outcast. Why? It’s the very last bottle of a beer I had purchased on a trip to Aruba. It’s a pale lager, as a rule drinkable only in tropical climates or desperate situations of survival. There was little incentive for me to down an Aruban pale lager in the middle of my native Colorado winter, and no reason to drink it when I had better beers to indulge in for the weekend. However, with the end of the school year in sight and a desire to finish off my box of beer I would eventually need to confront the gremlin under my bed. And, at last, I did, and in doing so learned a lesson familiar to many stories: the monster is rarely monstrous. Balashi is not an exceptional beer, but it wasn’t repulsive, either. In fact, on a sweltering Aruban summer day I can see Balashi being superior to the Caribbean’s average watery beers. Carib, for example. At first Balashi seemed to be a gruesome creature, inside and out. It’s colored like light, golden blonde hair, but had a strange filmy cloudiness which I had only seen before in solution bacteria samples. At one moment I actually thought the beer may have become a growth medium itself, but bringing the glass closer to my nose allayed any fear of microorganisms taking the Balashi as a home. The smell was composed of cashew, sweet corn, a droplet of light honey, and a general lager spritziness, giving it that quality that helps a mass produced pale lager that thirst-quenching, cleansing quality. There was even a tiny hint of pineapple juice in the smell. The flavor, too, was absent of any toxic qualities. A wheat and honey motif permeates through the beer, ending on a dry, tree-bark aftertaste, though these flavors struggle to push through an immensely loud carbonation. This is Balashi’s greatest weakness. The carbonation is too much for the flavor, and also too much for the mouth, zipping to and fro, scratching the tongue in a furious, gaseous clamor. For this reason it is best served after a short rest, and cold, to better mask any skunkiness or corn syrup that may come with the taste buds’ extra sensitivity with warmth. Otherwise the Balashi is a perfectly consumable beer. I have to agree with another reviewer that, compared with other countries’ who lack a history of brewing, the Balashi ranks fairly high. It is terribly mismatched back here in the continental U.S., but considering its location, it just ain’t that bad.