overall
Brewed by Balashi National Brewery Inc.
Style: Pale Lager
Santa Cruz, Aruba

RATINGS: 199   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
The beer has a deep golden color totally clear and transparent, with a bitterness which is soft to the tongue and nose however with an aroma of fresh hops, a short aftertaste and easy on foam. The combination of all feels fresh and smooth to the mouth when cold, perfect for Aruba's hot climate.

DavidP (1748) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JUN 20, 2006
Can brought back by a newlywed. Clear pale yellow body under a foamy head. Wet bread and pseudo-saaz hops. Light flavor - watered down pale malt and light zippy stem hops. No flaws, really. Just a solid pale lager with hops you can actually detect.

coldbrewky (1731) - Hippetown East, New York, USA - DEC 7, 2006
I found this beer to be totally forgettable. Thin, and barely worth the two bucks the cruise ship hawkers charged. I got it mainly because I didn’t have the cap in my collection. Bland. I’d rather drink water.

Barreras (1689) - Diamond Bar, California, USA - JUL 29, 2015
Pours a golden yellow color with a sweet malt aroma. Taste is malt, corn, and a light sweetness. A dry finish with little aftertaste. Thank you Willie Veloz for bringing me this beer direct from his vaction in Aruba.

LazyPyro (1684) - Gloucestershire, ENGLAND - JUN 28, 2016
22cl bottle brought back from Aruba to the UK by a friend. Clear golden colour with a small white head. Aroma is grainy, light malt, bit of corn maybe, light hops, thankfully not skunked at all. Taste is the same as any typical macro lager, grainy, light sweet malt, corn, hint of fruit, almost no bitterness. Thin body, oily texture, medium carbonation. Yeah for a Caribbean lager it’s not bad actually, I’m sure it tastes even better on a hot sunny day sitting beach in Aruba.

Nordcore (1668) - Lyngen alps, NORWAY - FEB 25, 2017
Bootle 22cl. Light golden, clear with a medium white head. Aroma of malt And straw. Light bitter with a stort malt END.

GarrettB (1665) - San Diego, California, USA - APR 28, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 15, 2007 My poor, dejected Balashi has been the Charlie Brown of my beer collection for almost two years. Without fail it has been insulted, pushed aside and ridiculed every time the box it’s stored in has been opened. Every day was a trial for that green-bottle outcast. Why? It’s the very last bottle of a beer I had purchased on a trip to Aruba. It’s a pale lager, as a rule drinkable only in tropical climates or desperate situations of survival. There was little incentive for me to down an Aruban pale lager in the middle of my native Colorado winter, and no reason to drink it when I had better beers to indulge in for the weekend. However, with the end of the school year in sight and a desire to finish off my box of beer I would eventually need to confront the gremlin under my bed. And, at last, I did, and in doing so learned a lesson familiar to many stories: the monster is rarely monstrous. Balashi is not an exceptional beer, but it wasn’t repulsive, either. In fact, on a sweltering Aruban summer day I can see Balashi being superior to the Caribbean’s average watery beers. Carib, for example. At first Balashi seemed to be a gruesome creature, inside and out. It’s colored like light, golden blonde hair, but had a strange filmy cloudiness which I had only seen before in solution bacteria samples. At one moment I actually thought the beer may have become a growth medium itself, but bringing the glass closer to my nose allayed any fear of microorganisms taking the Balashi as a home. The smell was composed of cashew, sweet corn, a droplet of light honey, and a general lager spritziness, giving it that quality that helps a mass produced pale lager that thirst-quenching, cleansing quality. There was even a tiny hint of pineapple juice in the smell. The flavor, too, was absent of any toxic qualities. A wheat and honey motif permeates through the beer, ending on a dry, tree-bark aftertaste, though these flavors struggle to push through an immensely loud carbonation. This is Balashi’s greatest weakness. The carbonation is too much for the flavor, and also too much for the mouth, zipping to and fro, scratching the tongue in a furious, gaseous clamor. For this reason it is best served after a short rest, and cold, to better mask any skunkiness or corn syrup that may come with the taste buds’ extra sensitivity with warmth. Otherwise the Balashi is a perfectly consumable beer. I have to agree with another reviewer that, compared with other countries’ who lack a history of brewing, the Balashi ranks fairly high. It is terribly mismatched back here in the continental U.S., but considering its location, it just ain’t that bad.

ryanscourt (1546) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 13, 2014
Reminds me of a caribbean style beer, similar to el presidente. Sweet pilsner flavor with plenty of carbonation.

VTHopHead (1513) - Seymour, Tennessee, USA - MAY 15, 2004
Draft - This was a good drinking beer; perfect for the warm weather in Aruba. Very little hops but something about looking at white beaches and palm trees makes this beer taste better when you drink it.

MaiBockAddict (1497) - Good Beer Bar Deprived, New Jersey, USA - OCT 23, 2003
Beer was skunked (it had a long trip). I don't want to pan it for that. Malty golden beer with low hop. Seems like an OK beach beer....

iwantalambic (1478) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 10, 2005
Draught: without the watery texture and flavour, this would not have been so thirst quenching and delicious on the luscious and fluffy, white sandy beach at the resort on my Honeymoon. Clear enough to transmit the intense aquamarine water color and an aroma that doesn’t mask the sweetly bitter salt water, this was a perfect treat on the hot beach just after lunch…