RATINGS: 1749   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   IBU: 84   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Big Eye IPA is a big hoppy brew, thanks to the abundance of American Columbus and Centennial varieties we use to flavor and dry hop. While the English originally added extra hops to preserve their beers for sea travel, we do it for the love of all that bold, intense flavor that makes India Pale Ale one of our favorite styles.

Volgon (2761) - Manchester, New Hampshire, USA - OCT 12, 2002
UPDATED: JAN 7, 2004 Re-rate GABF 02: I forgot that I had this in Toronto this summer. My notes are pretty much the same except that I wrote 'boring flavor' and rated it 0.1 lower. First rating: RateBeer Summer (Toronto) '02: The notes start with 'It's 10:30AM and I'm on my 8th beer.' Pours clear orange with a frothy head, resiny, pine nose, (too) soft mouthfeel. I'll drink a whole bottle sometime and re-rate.

HighGravity (926) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - OCT 8, 2002
A very hoppy aroma, packed with orange peel and pine. Great head and lace. The carbonation makes for a nice bead. The palate is full of hop flavors as opposed to bitterness. This beer is very fruity with lots of tropical flavors like pineapple, lemon, and orange. This IPA is not a typical West Coast hop monster; there is enough malt to balance the beer out. The finish is very dry and hoppy. A well made and enjoyable IPA.

akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - SEP 1, 2002
Another good looking beer from ballast point. this one has a great crisp citrusy/piny aroma from the hops. it is definitely hoppy. good dry bitterness from all the hops in this one but there is a touch of malt in the background. Very good IPA. finishes nice and clean just in time for you to take another sip.

daboskabouter (1469) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 15, 2002
Golden. Piney, citrusy hop aroma. Big hoppy and unbalanced. .............

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - AUG 7, 2002
Bright clear amber, good head formation. Sweet floral citrus aroma, some malty sweetness. Nice carbonation, good hop bitter dryness. Especially dry and bitter in the finish. There's some biscuity malt. General comment: I love these west coast IPA's but I'm finding many that are virtually identical.

Oakes (19532) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - JUL 24, 2002
Amber; a chewier, maltier IPA for this town...I liked it, but compared with these guys I must be getting jaded on the whole IPA thing.

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 8, 2002
Definitely dry, with a hop/malt alternation in a very long finish at the back of the throat. 100% Centennial in this one. Quite sprucey, as VENOM states, and I get something fresh/sweet in the aroma, but I don't quite think it's gummy bears :). Medium bodied, I agree, not as full as some other big left-coasters. Really really good, and SD has 3 bigly hugely great brewers in my opinion. Count these guys right in that pack of elite. Get them from hitimewine.com

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - JUN 24, 2002
Hazy gold/orange with tons of fish flakes stirring about. Sticky and creamy off white head. Light but steady carbonation. Fresh hop aroma of gummy bears and spruce tips. Hints of toasted caramel beneath. Crisp and clean and refreshing yet immediately bracing with bitter, resinous hop juiciness. Medium bodied wth a solid toasted caramel malt base that shows form, even ice cold. Dryish with the hop flavor dominating the malts most of the time. Still quite balanced. Body lightens a bit as it sits, yet the hops keep a firm hold. Finishes with a hint of apricot fruitiness and mild dryness. Kudos to a West Coast brewer for using a hop other than Cascade. Nicely done.