RATINGS: 822   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.53/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
A rich, copper ale with a case full of gold medals.
Our California Amber takes its inspiration from traditional English ESBs. Four types of malts give it a bold complexity, and our proprietary yeast strain lends it a fruity, madeira-like richness. However, it’s the American hops that give this ale a distinct bite and floral aroma that have earned it just about every major beer medal.

Oakes (19550) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - AUG 26, 2002
Bright reddish amber; earthy hops overlap earthy malts. I've had this beer before, I swear...

herbjones (742) - Orange, California, USA - AUG 24, 2002
Nice aroma with definate hop authority but an underlying sweetness that I cant place. Big mouthfeel with hops biting first and the malts coming through to level everything out. San Diego is becoming quite the beer hot spot. Easy drinking ESB.

daboskabouter (1469) - Fergus, Ontario, CANADA - AUG 20, 2002
Copper appearance, tan head. Malty and some citrusy hops in the nose, with a faint touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is oily, the body is malty with a good balance of hop bitterness. I enjoyed this a lot more than their Big Eye, much more balanced.

Radek Kliber (7501) - Toronto (Can) Krotoszyn (Pol), POLAND - AUG 19, 2002
Color of amber, small head. Nice and drinkable. One of those brews that make you fell good!

akinm (282) - San Diego, California, USA - AUG 5, 2002
This is a very well balanced and easy to drink beer. the color is a great amber and the aroma is fantastic with scents of bitter hops and a great yeast aroma sneaking in too. the palate is smooth. the flavor is more complex than i had expected. the malt is woderfully rich but not overwhelmingly so and the hops compliment the malts extremely well, excellent balance. Finishes very clean.

Gusler (2652) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - AUG 1, 2002
Deep copper or maybe better yet deep garnet, the head is large, frothy, the lace is in sheets. Nose is floral, malt, hints of caramel, and a bit buttery. Sweet at the front, the top is light to medium, the finish is hop bitter and the hop flowery tones carries to the very end of the long aftertaste. Dry, acidic, quite a 'Quaffable Beer', also a very complex beer that changes with most every sip, I like it!!!. Ranks #339 on my current 1000 master beer list.

Schroppfy (2362) - Łódż, Warsaw, Poland; Michigan, Ohio, USA - JUL 24, 2002
Rerate: Bumped to 4.6 in a head to head with Alesmith's ESB, although the two are completely different animals. I go with my original comments re: the Cascades, but also the malt is deeper, richer, sweeter than I remember from before. Superb, if a bit out of style guidelines. I HIGHLY recommend this brewery, as does VENOM. Find at hitimewine.com...now! Original: 6/07/02: Hard to believe, but even better, IMO, than Alesmith's ESB. More hoppy (at least more caascadey) than the latter, yet still very richly malty. But the killer, that gives it a 10 in aroma in my book, is the yeast addition. This is omething special, and I broke my cardinal rule, my prime directive...I only ordered one!

DaSilky1 (2608) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 30, 2002
UPDATED: SEP 19, 2004 slight hoppy aroma, nice amber color with a very thin head...has a nice & smooth hoppy character to it that is very pleasing...more like a pale ale than a ESB but still, it is a pretty decent beer

BeerLimey (2155) - California, USA - DEC 11, 2001
UPDATED: JAN 5, 2004 A very good ESB, firm sweet malt backbone, nice but not overwhelming bitter finish and extremely smooth.