RATINGS: 786   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.4/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

jookos (7155) - FINLAND - SEP 28, 2014
[email protected], gamla stan. Copper clear. Fruity pines, caramels on nose. Not that much bell pepper/chili just yet. Med bodied, nice soft bitter caramelly, and a good capsasin kick. Smooth nice, and for once, a well spiced chili beer. Habanero pretty clearly present in the flavour (sort of murky bell peppery, black pepper) as well. Ipa for chiliheads. I would venture this has a scoville of tabasco, so some tolerance is required for proper enjoyment.

-- bb

mansquito (7127) - Nueva York, New York, USA - AUG 20, 2013
The Sampler, Brooklyn tap: Tried a sampler glass full of this. Pours golden with a white head. Aroma is a combination of habanero pepper and west coast hops, laid upon a malt backbone. Taste is spicy. The habanero does overpower the hops, but by just enough to make the beer interesting. This isn’t something to repeat or even drink an entire glass of, but it is an interesting example of what can be done with the combination of beer and spice.

swoopjones (7020) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 21, 2013
draft at Coles. Orange amber pour. Lots of heat in aroma & flavor. Heat masks the bitterness almost completly. Not overbearing heat but quite substantial. drinkable

ekstedt (7007) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - AUG 8, 2011
Cask at GBBF 2011. Clear golden. Nice pine/apricot/citrus hop aroma; no warning of what is about to come. Luckily my fellow raters warned me, so I only took a small sip. Yet, this ruined my taste buds for several minutes. What an idiotic and offensive gimmicky beer.

kramer (6991) - Sunbury, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 17, 2017
Bottle. Pours a mostly clear copper body with a minimal thin ring of beige head. The nose is caramel malt and some light citrusy hops. Can’t say that I smell a whole lot of pepper in here, but there’s a bit. The flavor is much more heavy on the pepper though, and quite spicy and hot on the finish. Still a bit of caramel makes it past, but not enough to temper the heat of the peppers. Rather minimal citrusy hops. Medium bodied with soft fizzy carbonation and a long lingering finish. Meh, this is one I never should have bought in the first place. Never really care for pepper beers.

ClarkVV (6961) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - MAY 15, 2015
Bottles at Lulu’s, 4/4/15
Usual "if-you-don’t-like-chili-beers-ignore-this-re preface. I always rate these under the assumption that you like chili beers and rate them compared to other chili beers, not other beers or IPAs.
That being said, I don’t see the point of pretty much ruining Sculpin IPA by adding habaneros. The hops barely break through, and it just seems like a waste of tons of good hops. Not that it has to be unhopped, but Sculpin? I don’t know. Anyways, this stuff is nice! I drank three of them and could have kept going. Spicy, with the characteristic habanero slow-burn. The body is fairly lean and quite dry to really help pronounce the chili, though there is enough malt to not make it too unbalanced. Dry, fiery, peppery, really quite delicious. I think I still like the Serrano Pale a bit more, as that one was just viciously hot, but this is a bit more "toned down". The pepper really helps lighten the beer and keeps it very "refreshing" (these terms are all relative).

luttonm (6957) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 29, 2015
Bottle in Seattle. Gold rich gold. Interesting aroma of dense citrus fruit, rich hops and a touch of the pulp of the pepper. Aroma changes from typical Sculpin in to some wild guava and papaya. Pepper is bright and clear, quite hot, but it admittedly plays well with the fruity IPA. Not my favorite flavors, nor something I’ll be reaching for again, but it does like good spicy food make me want to take another bite (sip) even when I don’t understand why. Interesting variation for sure

5000 (6900) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - FEB 11, 2014
Draught @ Brouwer’s Café:   Orange hued golden, thin to moderate foamy white head, decent lacing.   Noticeable heat on the nose.   Soft hop otherwise.   I am a bit concerned given the heat coming off of this one.   On the tongue its like being hit by a truck.   Very strong Habanero, too strong if you ask me.   Overshadows everything else in this beer.   Too hot, too spicy, and too much.   Seems like they ruined already fantastic Sculpin.   Damnit!

vyvvy (6835) - St. Louis, Missouri, USA - OCT 18, 2015
On tap at Apex - pours light amber with an off-white head. The aroma has grapefruit, toast and is smooth and dry. It has a medium / full body that is still pretty crisp with semi-sharp carbonation. The flavor starts with toasty malt, grapefruit, some pepper meat and a bit of paper. The finish has lots of peppery heat and hops. Pretty nice for what it is.

egajdzis (6830) - Pennsburg, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 10, 2015
Amber color with a small, white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of pine, floral hops, citrus, pepper. Taste of muted citrus fruits, some pine, spicy finish.