RATINGS: 570   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

nearbeer (5421) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 18, 2014
650 ml. Pours chocolate with a head that mostly sizzles away. Nose is chocolate, cumin, espresso, pepper, coconut and cinnamon. Taste is vanilla, chocolate toffee, some coconut, and lots of cumin and pepper. Maybe some other spices that get mostly lost in the cumin and pepper. Medium body is too fizzy, but has a nice balance of the malty sweetness, roast and spices.

beerfest5 (1207) - Cloneen, IRELAND - FEB 10, 2014
I’m sure that my palate was not ready for something like this. When I purchased the bottle I thought this was going to be something like a big rich stout combined with a little Indian pepper or something. This was more like a curry dinner with a little stout added in. Extremely interesting, I applaud Ballast Point for thinking outside of the box clearly, but enjoyable in truth, no.

mikesaum (711) - Newark, Ohio, USA - FEB 9, 2014
Pours dark dark brown with a khaki head. Aroma is..... I’m not really sure, i just know its not that appealing, a very odd aroma. Taste is better, slightly roasty, vegetal, herbal, tingly heat on the tongue and in the back of the throat. Not horrible, its interesting but its just not my cup of tea, plus the aroma was off putting.

Huhzubendah (3705) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I don’t see myself returning to this one, as I don’t find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

erickok (6037) - Leuven, BELGIUM - FEB 5, 2014
Black bodied, instable tan head. Clear coconut, very interesting! Fatty feel from this, cacao, bit of humous, bit resin. Oh and coconut. Bounty candy bar! Spice is certainly there too. Taste is dominated by the Chili, which provides a real kick. I never like that, ever, except this is probably the first time I do enjoy it! It is really warming in the end, giving a glowing throat. After half a bottle it became a bit much though, admittedly. Had a hard time finishing the bomber. Also, it disturbs the finish, doing away with the inherit nice character if spices and dark malts. Not sure I would pick this up again. (Bottle from Whip In Austin)

ABUSEDGOAT (2759) - California, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Black pour, small tan head, minimal lace/retention. Aroma is complex with notes of chocolate, various spices (read - curry and pepper, *not* coriander etc) light roast, caramel. Medium bodied, pretty good balance of spicy heat. Straightforward malt structure lacks some complexity but it’s fairly well balanced with the spicing. Anything more would probably lean towards unpleasant unless it was a bigger and/or more complex beer.

redtechnj (315) - Williamstown, New Jersey, USA - JAN 28, 2014
Appearance- Dark brown with a medium kahki head. nice lacing. Aroma-Curry, cumin,peppercorn,roasted malt. Major spices. Flavor- Curry.....Curry...and more curry. Indian spice overload. It actually leaves a burning sensation in my mouth and I’m no light weight when it comes to hot stuff, I make my own tobasco hot sauce. Very interesting idea for a beer but not good in my book.

UDBeernut (2883) - Saint Johns, Florida, USA - JAN 18, 2014
bottle from daniel719,pours black, thin tan head. curry, onions, coconut in the nose. solid hot pepper taste, bitterness. roasted malts phase in and out. hot sauce burn.I still don’t know how to take pepper beers. Hopefully its a fad.

OKplus (787) - Oklahoma, USA - JAN 18, 2014
22oz bottle to a snifter A - Pours black with a small kahki head that vanishes pretty quick. Not a trace of lacing. S - Fresh cut cedar/pine wood off the initial pour, strong spices, madras curry, cardamom, cumin, black peppercorns, lavender, purfumy. T - Spices galore, sharp black pepper, cumin, turmeric, madras curry, basil, coriander, there’s some chili heat in there as well. There’s a salty sharpness in there that cuts through the spice. With the exception of some roasted malts, the spices basically drive the train taking over any other yeast, malt or hop that could be present. Finishes spicy with a solid dose of chili heat left on the palate. M - Low carbonation, it’s thin but heavy liquid, finishes dry and oily with chile heat. This screams Indian food. If you don’t like it, chances are you probably wont like this beer. It’s a full on curry spice assault on the palate. Good chili heat as well. The bottle version seems to be hotter in terms of chile spice than on tap. Curry lovers, you have found your beer. Serving type: bottle 11-09-2013

deaconmike (470) - Roswell, Georgia, USA - JAN 18, 2014
Bomber. Nearly black with ruby edges. A few floaties. Aroma is coconut curry, heavy on the cumin. Tastes are similar. Starts sweet and transitions to some heat at the end. Very interesting beer if you are in to these flavors, as I am.