RATINGS: 556   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.59/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellars 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
beastiefan2k (3718) - HdG (past: NYC, KS, Rain City), Maryland, USA - JAN 22, 2013
Damn what an interesting beer or at least a novel beer. I have wanted to try this for a while and I so wanted to share this with the beer geeks back in KS but checked baggage costs are so high. Either way, pours like a regular stout and good god all mighty the nose hits you like an Indian rock. Damnnnnnn, someone get me a mango lassi to go along with this beer. Its strong and I like Indian food but I do not loooooveeee Indian food, so its a bit of a conundrum. Flavor is better, more subdued, get some stout and strong but not hella (as the kids say) strong curry. Heat, the heat between me and this beer. its not the pepper ale type heat, its a small but constant heat that comes in waves and burns the top of your intestines, I love it. Cool beer. Bottle is filter clean after the last pour. This one is with you in mind Eric.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
jamestulloch (3700) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - APR 27, 2016
Bottle at Appellation Wines tasting. Dark brown body with a faint beige head. Aroma of coriander, bay leaf, charcoal and green pepper. Flavour is very spicy - notes of lemongrass, chillies and coconut. Thin to medium body with a soft fizz. A touch too spicy for me, but its a really interesting beer.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 10/20
culchiem (3696) - Berlin, GERMANY - NOV 7, 2015
Bottle from LRS. Brownish black with a medium head. Aroma is spice and chocolate. Taste is like an Indian meal in a glass, cumin, coconut, lime.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
reggiedunlop (3688) - The dub c, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 9, 2012
Pours black and bubbly with a large mocha head...great lacing, retention, amd lively appearance. Aroma has definite exotic aromas...most notable are cumin, lime and coconut...the curry is faint. Flavor follows suit...the coconut really helps bring the rest of the flavors together nicely!...still some roastiness...cumin and curry really kick in towards the end. Mouthfeel is medium/heavy and creamy with a roasty/spicy finish that leaves a warm tingle on the tongue and in the throat. I dig this!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Jow (3649) - New York, USA - FEB 5, 2013
Good lord what a crazy brew. I ordered not knowing what it was. It took me awhile before I figured out it was curry and the all I could think of was this Thai Green Curry dish I always order for take out. In fact if I get drunk and then by mistake spill whatever stout im drinking into my food and then instead of discarding slurp up juices then that is this beer. really interesting and fun, slick finish with heat hitting hard in after taste.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
shigadeyo (3647) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - MAY 22, 2015
4/22/2015 (draught at Martys Hops & Vines in Cincinnati, Ohio): Whats this? A CURRY beer?! Hell yeah! This beer is absolutely fantastic. Aroma is mostly curry with a bit of coconut as well. The flavor is very dynamic and changes from drink to drink and as the temperature of the beer goes up. Lots of curry at first and it stays throughout, but the coconut and lime definitely show more on subsequent tastes and when warmer. The cayenne adds a bit of heat that builds, but doesnt go over the top. Everything about this beer is right on point! I LOVE IT! I have a bottle of it that Im looking forward to trying as well. Amazing beer!

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 13/20
alobar (3636) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - JUN 28, 2016
Cola brown pour with aroma of cumin, pepper, and some coconut. Very spicy flavor with lots of curry on the tongue. A bit too spicy for me.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 14/20
Huhzubendah (3625) - Washington DC, USA - FEB 6, 2014
On draft at Ballast Point in Little Italy. The beer is black with a thin beige cap. The aroma brings chocolate, hot pepper, spice. Some dark chocolate with oranges and citrusy spice. Heat gains strength and intensity as I make my way through the beer. Cayenne pepper and spicy heat lingers amid dark chocolate. Not too heavy. This beer achieves its intended purpose, and for that, I will give credit. However, I dont see myself returning to this one, as I dont find pleasure in the combination of beer and spicy heat.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
maekchu (3613) - Hirakata, JAPAN - DEC 24, 2012
Bomber. Thanks to mike12da. Coconut, airplane glue, sweet curry nose. Big ass cayenne pepper kick right away; mid palate gets even hotter. All the ingredient flavors are apparent at different moments (curry, cayenne, cumin, lime) and blend in interesting ways with the chocolate base. The cayenne, however, stays in the forefront all throughout. Fun, novel stuff.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
Brigadier (3605) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - JAN 10, 2012
650 ml bottle
An excellent West Coast hop bomb this is just the sort of release to keep one inspired to keep searching out new beers. It is always nice to take a break from chasing whales to sample some more accessible regional releases - especially when it comes from Santa. I think I may have to acquire a couple more Ballast Point offerings once the cellar thins out.

Aroma / Appearance - Inky fluid and black this is what a stout should look like. A dirty beige head is on the mark; looking like a piece of pie crust it provides a good contrast. Black licorice, malt, and woody hops effortlessly mix into a pleasing aroma.

Flavor / Palate - Black coffee, wood polish, and carbonation sparkle in sip after sip. A moist bitter aftertaste rubs on the back of the throat. Not too abrasive, it invites more reflection until the spiciness takes over. A rather strange creature it is nonetheless one that I wouldnt mind trying again.