RATINGS: 570   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.58/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
Brewed with madras curry, caynne pepper, cumin, toasted coconut, and kaffir lime leaf, Indra Kunindra is a 9% ABV stout brewed in collaboration with homebrewer Alex Tweet. It was brewed for Holiday Wine Cellar’s 46th Anniversary Homebrewers Competition. First batch at 9%, others at 7%.

CanIHave4Beers (4184) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - NOV 13, 2015
On draught!
Pours basically black with a small but well retained head and not much lacing on the glass.

The aroma is cardamom, cumin, cinnamon, chocolate & coffee. It’s also got a bunch of other curry spice elements I can’t single out. Suffice to say it sort of smells like some sort of interesting curried mocha, neat.

The flavor is really pretty curry heavy, but it retains the nice roastiness and bitter-espresso-like flavors that make it very stout like. It’s not especially sweet for what it is, but it’s nowhere near being very dry. The beer seems to have quite a vanilla flavor going on along with cinnamon, cumin, and again the sort of load of spices that one might use in a curry, most of which I’m only vaguely familiar with (shame on my palate)

I just never expected such an oddity to come from a brewery I’ve always sort of associated with straightforward hoppy beers... guess I was in the dark, huh?

FlacoAlto (4182) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - FEB 6, 2016
Sampled July 2015
A steady pour into my glass produces a fat, two-finger thick, lightly brown stained, dark tan colored head. The beer is a solid black color that shows a mostly opaque, brown tinged version of the same when held up to the light. The aroma is a riotous blend of spices backed by a roasted, toasted Stout character; lots of lime, earthy cumin and tumeric, aromatic curry notes that lean towards musky / woody / floral / aromatic / toasted spices, as well as some sweet accentuating notes that remind me a bit of coconut, this is backed by soft, subtle (though this is because the spice character is so pronounced), roasted grain notes.

Lightly sweet up front through to the middle, for my first sip the spices become noticeable in the finish where the flavor really opens up and blooms with all sorts of spice notes; in the long finish there is even a spicy, hot character that might be from chiles. Dark cocoa, smooth hints of mocha coffee, bitter / slightly-acidic burnt notes, bitter blackened malt, and a smooth, dark grain suggestion of sweetness all try to tame the spice character. The body is a touch on the light side for a big stout, but manages to work well with the spices, and would likely make it more amenable to being paired with food. Flavors of lime, lots of earthy / bark-like cumin, cedar like notes, floral coriander, earthy tumeric & curry notes.

Despite being dominated by the spice character, this beer doesn’t end up being too much for me; now I did have this following a meal of Indian food, so that might have tempered my palate some. When I went and grabbed this I was expecting a over-hopped stout; what else would a self styled "India-Style Export Stout" be in the IPA crazed world, right? Despite this massive deviation from expectations, I am quite enjoying this beer. The aroma on this is just incredibly vibrant, and while spice dominated, it is well balanced in its complex spice character that it brings to play. Having said all that, if curry is not something you enjoy, then this is likely a beer you will not like.

theisti (4126) - Kansas, USA - AUG 28, 2014
Tulip draft at The Sybarite Pig in Boca Raton, Florida. The pour is a deep brown black with a small khaki head. The aroma is lime initially, along with the cumin spice, curry and then a coconut toasted sweetness as the beer warms. The taste is bonkers, all of the component aroma flavors are blended cleanly (somehow) with spice, coconut and lime all adding complexity. The palate is medium bodied with soft carbonation and a dry lightly sweet coconut finish. Really well executed.

As a side note, I have been seeing this beer show up in search results for Indra for years, glad to have tried it for that reason alone.

jamestulloch (4108) - Edinburgh, SCOTLAND - APR 27, 2016
Bottle at Appellation Wines tasting. Dark brown body with a faint beige head. Aroma of coriander, bay leaf, charcoal and green pepper. Flavour is very spicy - notes of lemongrass, chillies and coconut. Thin to medium body with a soft fizz. A touch too spicy for me, but it’s a really interesting beer.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAY 24, 2013
Bottle. I had seen this and passed on it many times before finally picking this one up. apparently, it’s not for me. I got a hell of a lot of cough syrup/medicine flavors along with the curry, cayenne, and other spices. I honestly found it very difficult to drink and poured out over 90% of the bottle. Oh well, obviously my experience is fairly singular and I know BP to be a reputable brewery so I’ll just mark this down as a wash.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - MAY 1, 2015
22 oz. bottle. Pours a blackish brown with a medium tan head. Aroma of indian food. Curry. Meat and cumin notes. Mild pepper and lime. Flavor is meaty, umami, with cumin and cayenne notes. Some roast, some dark malt notes. Interesting. Lingering heat in the finish.

SSSteve (4006) - - DEC 28, 2014
22oz bottle. black pour with a head that diminishes to nothing in a few seconds. enticing aroma of red curry, chili, vanilla(coconut?). a medium bodied beer wit a spicy heat in the finish. lots of cumin notes and curry, lesser notes of tart lime and sweet coconut. really fun to drink. i can’t say i’ve had anything remotely like this before...it’s not just your typical hot pepper stout. layers of spices. awesome...just not sure i want to drink 2 pints of this in a row.

DedicatedToFun (4000) - Santa Monica, California, USA - FEB 16, 2013
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2014 Craziest beer ever so I have to give it a 4. Crazy curry flavor in a beer are you serious?! Dark pour, nose is curry, taste is curry, so much curry in this.

JCB (3999) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JAN 16, 2013
Bomber from Sam’s, Durham. Right off the bat, let me say that I deeply regret not getting more than a single bottle of this. INSANE nose, you really get the subtle coconut and lime, along with dusty coriander, garam masala, and a nice healthy foreign stout character. Mouthfeel ever so slightly thin, but damn that’s some nice kick on the finish. Coconut milk for sure in the taste, giving it a nice robust core as the heat comes on and backs off in waves. Never merely burn, though, always complexly flavorful. Holy fuck this is good.

mathieuc (3989) - Québec, Quebec, CANADA - JUN 12, 2014
Pours a dark brown with a small white head that leaves light lacing. Nose is of an Indian spice shop, hot curry and all. Taste is incredibly spicy and hot, good thing that there is a nice lime flavor to it or else it would just be completely undrinkable. This is burning and I’m having a hard time imagining myself stomach more than the small glass that I have in front of me. I didn’t think it was horrible but just too spicy in summary. Carbonation was moderate, body as well. This isn’t a stout but still a fun experiment.