RATINGS: 2528   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.01/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

raymow (1803) - Bensalem, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2017
bottled - nice deep golden color. Great tropical hop aroma. Nice hop flavor.

R4N5H (1352) - NETHERLANDS - NOV 30, 2017
UPDATED: DEC 3, 2017 12oz can on DL496 (JFK-SFO), 29-Nov-2017. Slightly hazy golden amber colour with a medium sized white head. Aroma of tropical fruit, malt and pine. Medium body and carbonation. Taste of malt, grapefruit, orange-peel and floral hops. Light bittersweet finish. A refreshing clean and crisp IPA - great balance.

hamilton_w (276) - - NOV 20, 2017
Fruity hop aroma. Hazy amber, medium white head. Medium malty sweet, high bitterness. Light to medium body, slick texture, long bitter aftertaste.

ironcontra (493) - ATL, Georgia, USA - NOV 12, 2017
Perhaps my expectations were set a little too high before hopping the pond; it's a good IPA but it's not exceptional, that said well-balanced, drinkable, grapefruit, hops are bitter but not in a lingering way, right amount of sweet. Perhaps will grow on me w time

ZacM612 (813) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - NOV 11, 2017
UPDATED: NOV 11, 2017 Draft at Ballast Point. Mostly clear, amber with a lacing head. Citrusy and piney. Great flagship IPA.

Bill Becker (1915) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 8, 2017
From Apr 2008

I got this bottle from South Bay D&L. Thanks Joey!

It pours a clear and very nice straw gold with a 2 finger head of foam. Plenty of lacing here as well. Very good head retention.

The smell is..whoah...the citrus hits my nose buds first but there's a lot of *other* things going on. Tropical fruit goes hand in hand with grapefruit and I can also smell some malty sweetness. Great nose...now, if I'll just point the glass away from my nose and point it towards my mouth. ;^)

First sip and what a treat. The grapefruit is there in big abundance as are flavours of apricot, peach, and oh yeah, mango; it has a huge presence here and boy does *that* ever work well. Wow. Just before the finish, I get a nice helping of pine but the finish itself, for me, returns to that darn tasty fruitiness that really hits my palate on just the right notes. Again, wow.

It has a near perfect mouthfeel for me and that's helped by a fairly light job of carbonation. Dang, I better slow down here, not because of the abv but because it's so damn tasty and I don't want to be looking at an empty bottle and glass! Yum!

Bottom line: Here's a world class IPA if I've ever tasted one. If you get the chance to try it, don't hesitate for one moment!!

fombe89 (4102) - Asturias, SPAIN - NOV 2, 2017
Lata. @Cimmeria, Oviedo 01/11/2017

Color amarillo espuma blanca, aromas frutales y resinosos, sabot frutal notas a malta, caramelo ligeramente citrica cuerpo medio.

IPARespek6 () - Oregon, USA - OCT 30, 2017
Great west coast IPA. I do have to say, I accidentally stumbled upon their Pineapple IPA and it has to be one of my favorite summer IPAs.

RexTalionis (3813) - FINLAND - OCT 20, 2017
Bottle. Darker orange, white head. Fruity and malty sweet on the nose. Mild malty and bitter taste. More fruitier towards the finish. And more bitter actually as well, which is nice.
This probably doesn't travel that well across the ocean.

martinrumsam (572) - BARNSTAPLE, Devon, ENGLAND - OCT 12, 2017
Grapefruit aroma light white head. Clear golden appearance. Medium carbonation mellow initial taste finishing with moderate hop bitterness
A nice balanced non aggressive OPA