RATINGS: 2533   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

alkolas510 (1511) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - OCT 1, 2013
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2013 Bärnstensfärgad med mellanstort ljust skum! Annanas tropiska frukter i doft och smak! Lite för söt i smaken pga av all malt!

stardustJerry (4) - Carlsbad, California, USA - OCT 1, 2013 does not count
This is probably my favorite IPA. The taste has a nice hop bite but still with a wonderful full mouth and smooth finish. Yum.

stefannilssons (1578) - SWEDEN - OCT 1, 2013
Det här är bra, otroligt bra, aromen är att dö för och smaken följer upp smaken på ett exemplariskt sätt. Smaken bar toner av grapefrukt, mango och aprikos, kroppen var stabil men balansen gjorde mig lite besviken.

circinus (340) - SWEDEN - OCT 1, 2013
Bottle 33 cl from Systembolaget. Clear orange with a nice white head. Lots of tropical fruit, passion fruit, generic citrus, lemon, grapefruit, pine, grassy, caramel. Very well balanced. Medium/light body, medium carbonation, refreshing, smooth, bitter finish. Really nice!

jahshuwuh (567) - USA - SEP 30, 2013
A medium golden color with two fingers of white head. A floral hop scent with something akin to a wood scent, some citrus notes. A carbonated bitter upfront with some spiciness that gives way to a little bit of caramel backbone but not enough for me, bitter lingers on tongue, very little sweet character. Decent but nothing special. Need to try a fresher bottle. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

ryanfolty (2655) - Bourbon County, Minnesota, USA - SEP 29, 2013
From a bottle on September 28, 2013 at ABR. Clear yellow pour with big head and lacing. I am not a huge IPA fan, but this was decent.

shoeless (7) - - SEP 29, 2013 does not count
I paid a lot for a six-pack and was ready to love this (it got a 100 score, after all), but--and maybe this is because it had sat around too long? who knows!--it seemed bitter in an unpleasant way. It was a fine beer, I just expected nirvana, and got, well, something distinctly less tasty than Torpedo, my go-to beer which costs 1/3 the price (when I get the latter on sale).

beer-yum (1957) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - SEP 28, 2013
UPDATED: JUN 11, 2017 Citrus pine aroma in a golden pour. Smooth hop forward balance easily hides its strength. Which is a good thing or a bad thing - depending on what one does with it (my suggestion is ’be careful’).

mjstacker (5) - - SEP 28, 2013 does not count
People always told me to try this and for whatever reason I never have. Very happy I just did. Haven’t smelled/tasted this much melon in anything else except Maine Beer Co. "Another One." Wish it had a brewed on date.

migwell (368) - Massachusetts, USA - SEP 28, 2013
I’m not liking the lack of dating on this beer. It’s brewed in San Diego and I’m in Massachusetts, where I purchased it off a wooden uncooled shelf after a long, hot summer. I see that it is a highly rated brew (there’s nothing higher than 100, unless you play football and always give 110%), but what I’m drinking just seems pleasantly ordinary. In which case, depending on price and availability (never seen it anywhere else in MA other than Trubeer in Easthampton) I might have it again.