RATINGS: 2649   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

VALIS (229) - Nashua, New Hampshire, USA - MAR 14, 2013
Pours a cloudy gold with typical lace. Lots of sweet orange on the nose, very nice. Taste? Well, maybe mine is a tad stale from being on the shelf for a bit, but I’m not seeing where this beer’s legendary status comes from. I get a fair amount of juicy orange, which I like, but it doesn’t have the biggest bite and there’s a funky aftertaste I can’t quite place. A good one for sure, but it wouldn’t make my personal IPA top-10.

jibby (13) - California, USA - MAR 12, 2013
Copper color. Somewhat frothy head. Aroma has strong grapefruit, pine, caramel. Some tropical fruit as well, like mango. Bitter like grapefruit pith (white part). Body is on the lighter side. Finishes off-dry, fairly clean. Very drinkable.

rumproasts (5359) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2013
UPDATED: NOV 3, 2013 bottle. Deep golden with one finger head. Pretty decent light malt base with big west coast hops. The aroma is excellent, but the taste just doesn’t match. This is pretty darn good, but I’ve certainly had better -- the 100/100 seems a bit generous.

jdp (59) - Washington, USA - MAR 12, 2013
On draft. Nice amber color, decent white head. Smells of mangos, light pineapple and maracuya. This stuff smells fantastic. Taste is low residual sugar (dry), just light malt taste followed by a very flavorful, fruity, citrusy, hop experience. It does finish with a medium resin. This stuff is crazy good and is the kind of beer I could drink all the time. Guess that is why I buy it by the 1/6 barrel. :)

Sevenlee (1846) - Central Coast, NSW, AUSTRALIA - MAR 10, 2013
Pours a hazy amber colour with frothy off-white head. Aroma is malt, fruit, pine, caramel and hops. Taste is medium sweet of fruits and caramel leading to a well balanced hoppy bitter finish. Pretty damn awesome.

Natai (124) - Sacramento, California, USA - MAR 10, 2013
Pours gold with a white head and good lacing. Citrus aromas of grapefruit and a hint of lemon. Smooth flavor that’s balanced and not too hoppy.

Garbageman (487) - Lexington, South Carolina, USA - MAR 10, 2013
From tap at Keg Cowboy. Pours deep orange in color with a small white head that lingers. Aroma is all citrus with grapefruit, passion fruit and bread. Taste follows with a lite body and smooth end. Not too bitter. Also this is a fruity IPA not Piney.

drcboehm (104) - New Jersey, USA - MAR 9, 2013
Draught/Growler. Took one taste to know this would be good. Enjoying the great floral and citrus flavor, grapefruit. Delicious.

Brain_Parasite (70) - California, USA - MAR 8, 2013
Amber in color, with small white head. Sweet aroma, lots of peach, pine and hop notes. A lighter IPA, taste of hops and peaches primarily with bread and citrus notes as well. A great beer and a cool example of the range of the IPA style.

jkdhoo (1) - Illinois, USA - MAR 8, 2013 does not count
An outstanding IPA. I know my ratings aren’t high enough to be counted, but I have been drinking exclusively IPA for the past 3 years and this is the best IPA to date. The big difference between Sculpin IPA and the others is the aftertaste. Sculpin IPA leaves a light aftertaste, so much so that I feel like I could still rate food and/or wine if so needed. Much different than like a ruination IPA, which is so bitter it literally ruins the palette. When my local beer mart has this, and the wife is ignoring the finances, I will indulge in this beverage any chance I get.