RATINGS: 2649   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

mabel (9246) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - DEC 30, 2012
[4781-20120915] 341mL bottle. Resinous piney grain and light citrus hops aroma. Clear, dark orange body with a small long-lasting creamy off-white head. Bitter resin pine sap hops flavour finishes with a sweet tangy orange peel bitterness. Medium body. Delicious blend of bitterness and citrus and resin notes. (9/4/8+/4/17) 4.2
(w/ jercraigs)

BlackEyePA (573) - USA - DEC 29, 2012
Even though I don’t play favorites Sculpin IPA could be my favorite. Its always tasty, I have it everytime I come to San Diego. I have had it 3 or 4 times now and never rated it, well here goes. Aroma is peach, mango, grapefruit and orange, theres alot there. Appearance is beautiful orange gold with a nice frothy head. Taste is only amazing, thats it. Bright punchy sparkling liquid gold, with hops at the front mid and back of your swig, followed by a beatifully citrus swallow. Palate is hoppy, spicy and very tasty. It leaves some hoppy residue but for an IPA lover this is bliss. Overall super awesome you have to try it. 5.0

joshwoodward (575) - - DEC 28, 2012
Very nice IPA. Hoppy, but very balanced and not at all over the top in any way. Fresh.

FunkyBrewster (1518) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Bottle. Pours a bright golden color with a small white head. Aroma is very nice freshly citric and balanced well with the pine and dank notes, with a strong malt backbone. Flavor has a lot of the same, strong malt base, not too caramely with a nice soft orange citrus character. Mild to moderate bitterness. Good beer

GSH1976 (307) - Delaware, USA - DEC 22, 2012
Pours a very light orange color with minimal head. Upon closer inspection there is a slight haze and I can see some extremely small particles floating around. Aroma is citrus and pine and I also detect some tropical fruits. There is a lot going on here. Taste is similar to the aroma with citrus being well represented along with some pine notes. The body is light to medium and the finish is very dry with a lingering bitterness. This would be fantastic on a hot summer day and what you would expect from a West Coast IPA. One of the better IPAs I have had.

rxeight (3083) - Illinois, USA - DEC 21, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2012 Glowing orange with a white head. Not a lot of big flavors. touch of citrius. crisp and hoppy, somewhat biter. Very smooth abd drinkable. Underwhelmed by this one, not sure what the big deal is. Yes it is a very good IPA but nothing about it really stands out. The flavor is very good but there is not much of it.

thome50 (1295) - Morro Bay via Orange County, California, USA - DEC 19, 2012
Rating the nitro version since I’ve had regular more times than not. Pours a nice bubbly orange with pillowy white head. Aroma is muted with the nitro but still slightly cat piss centric and some pine. Taste is velvet smooth with a great hop bitterness, peach, orange, rind, lemon and grain. Overall, another solid IPA.

IPAMadMan (2) - Colorado, USA - DEC 18, 2012 does not count
An amazing beer that in my opinion is what IPAs should be all about congrats on a phenomenal brew!

ACHops (1584) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 14, 2012
12oz bottle from Southern Season. I’ve sought this for quite a while, so I’ll try to be reasonable. Pours orangish dark golden with fluffy head that laces well. Aroma is heavy citrus and a hint of pine hops. Taste is big fresh earthy punchy hops with tons of citrus flavor. Clean crisp finish. Dare I say it - this reminds me of Pliny. Nothing spectacular, just an excellent IPA lacking in flaws.

canary dog (774) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - DEC 13, 2012
UPDATED: DEC 22, 2012 Re-rated: I’ve enjoyed this a few times more since my initial rating. I do like it better, and perhaps appreciate the velvety mouthfeel and smoothness of it more than I did. 1st rating: What am I missing here? Sorry, but I was just underwhelmed by this beer. Is it a good IPA? Yup. Maybe even in my top ten...I will have to try a few more at different sessions. But I just can’t see why this beer is rated so incredibly highly. I didn’t think it had much of a nose, the head was nothing special, and the taste was characterized by smooth but very uncomplicated hops. A very dry and lingering bitter aftertaste, which is okay. I just don’t see what all the fuss is about. I don’t even consider this the best IPA from San Diego...I find Alesmith’s IPA significantly more impressive, and probably Green Flash’s West Coast IPA a tad better.