RATINGS: 2575   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
tkrjukoff (4324) - SWEDEN - FEB 23, 2012
Pours clear amber with a good beige head leaving lace. Aroma is sweet caramel citric piny fruity malty, very nice. Flavor is excellent fruity bitter caramel malty, like aroma. Finishes bitter sweet malty.

kdmcguire10 (18) - Grand Blanc, Michigan, USA - FEB 23, 2012
Gorgeous light orange color with about a fingers worth of head that just sticks to the glass. On the nose, Groves of fresh orange, apricot and mango. Awesome west coast style. Delicious hop bitterness. You get a lot of the citrus with a splash of malt to balance it out. Just a really nice, crisp beer. World Class

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
shonobiwan (219) - Sound Beach, New York, USA - FEB 22, 2012
Long Island, NY - 22 oz. bottle poured a clear amber color with moderate head and medium lacing. Aroma is complex with fruits, mango, citrus, floral hops and pine. Taste was initially sweet then developed into fruity hops and the a crisp bitterness. What I liked from this IPA was that the hops was not over powering. A really good IPA. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
Steve_0 (3745) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 18, 2012
Poured from bottle sent by Peacehammer, thanks again Dominic. Beautiful golden orange with a bright white head. I am picking up smells of caramel, toffee, and what I believe are fuggle/willamette hops. Also, hints of wood in the aroma. Taste is balanced pretty well, but a little on the malty side for me. I am definitely a hophead and was hoping for a hoppy punch in the face. Overall, solid IPA, but just not up to the hype.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 17/20
Rrauth (1196) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 18, 2012
Too big of a head. I served too cold. Nice lacing. Orange pale cloudy color. Reminds me of hoppyum aftertaste. Nice bottle. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Peacehammer (624) - California, USA - FEB 15, 2012
Another one of my all time favorites I had just never rated. dark gold, with one finger foamy head. Strong pungent hop aroma, with some hints of grapefruit. Very well balanced taste for a big west coast IPA, plenty of hops but also nice body and some malty characters.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Ktwse (4240) - Greater London, ENGLAND - FEB 14, 2012
Easily one of the best IPA:s out there. Pours light orange amber, slightly cloudy, with a medium white to off-white head. It doesnt look very spectacular, but then again if the looks are the weakest part of a beer, then Im good with that. Nose is tropical fruits (apricot, mango), citrus and grapefruit with a very strong hop presence. Hard to tell, but maybe cascade, amarillo, some nelson sauvin? I dont know, but its definitely rich, fruity hops. Flavour is immediately bitter with a nice pungent quality. The bitterness increases through the sip until gently settling into a long and very enjoyable finish that mellows out but stays with you for a long time. Body is medium with a creamy quality and a somewhat lively, refreshing carbonation.

AROMA 5/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 12/20
FURLYSURIOUS (263) - Orono, Minnesota, USA - FEB 14, 2012
This was my first time ordering online and none of the hop forward beers I purchased came with any dates that I could tell, disappointing. This one is over the hill. Nice golden pear tone, thinner head that recedes to a minimal cap but then retains throughout Nose is a bit subdued, mostly citrus but truly difficult to discern, I have an easier time smelling the glass that I poured it into. The character isnt nearly as muted as I wouldve guessed by the smell - all that citrus - tangerine, grapefruit, abstract bitter... clearly outdated though. Mouthfeel is thinner than I wouldve expected but seems appropriate for this particular brew, carbonation is still spot on. Overall, I guess Ill just wait for a good trade opportunity or a vacation to give this one a real review.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
roman88 (2) - - FEB 11, 2012 does not count
My sister got me this beer for my birthday and she got 2 others. This is by far the best one. Great taste and it was straight from the brewery so that helped it out. Definitely recommend it

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
merb (18) - Pennsylvania, USA - FEB 11, 2012
Fantastic aroma, great color, nice floral notes, not too bitter...yeah definitely be looking for this one again.