RATINGS: 2562   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.02/5   EST. CALORIES: 210   ABV: 7%
San Diego IPA
The Sculpin IPA is a testament to our humble beginnings as Home Brew Mart. Founded in 1992, the Mart continues to be a catalyst for the San Diego brewing scene, setting the trend for handcrafted ales. Inspired by our customers, employees and brewers, the Sculpin IPA is bright with aromas of apricot, peach, mango and lemon. Its lighter body also brings out the crispness of the hops. This delicious Ballast Point Ale took a Bronze Medal at the 2007 Great American Beer Festival in the Pro Am category. The Sculpin fish has poisonous spikes on its fins that can give a strong sting. Ironically, the meat from a Sculpin is considered some of the most tasty. Something that has a sting but tastes great, sounds like a Ballast Point India Pale Ale.

RespertFTW (521) - Michigan, USA - MAY 12, 2014
Bomber thanks to Chris. Light gold with a beige head. Nice tropical fruit and hops. Malty.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
BeerKurve (520) - - OCT 14, 2013
Mildly hazy orange with some light carbonation and a filmy head that has good retention. Aroma has a very strong apricot, mango and grapefruit scent along with some pale malts. Flavor is very citrus forward with grapefruit, apricot, piney hops, resin, mango and peaches with some slight caramel maltiness. Body is heavy along with the carbonation. I think I may have found my new favorite IPA that isnt local!

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Nicke80 (519) - Sdertlje, SWEDEN - JUN 6, 2014
33cl bottle from systembolaget bs. Pours golden with fruity aroma. Balanced, hoppy flavours with sweet citrus notes.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
magdalar (516) - Zurich, SWITZERLAND - DEC 13, 2011
Bottle. Pours a clear golden with a white head. Smells of grapefruit and orange peel. Tastes of a light bitter with a medium sweetness, well balanced but not perfectly. Light bodied. Light carbonation. Texture is syrupy. Finishes dry. Tasty.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
konungen (515) - - MAY 2, 2015
Doften är en riktig humleexplosion när man häller upp denna klara koppar färgade öl. Vitt skum som hänger med ett tag. Även om det är mycket humle i denna finns även malt, beska och en viss sötma där. Grapefrukt, citrus, passionsfrukt, karamell är inslag jag finner. Doft och smak i samma bana. Bra humlebeska! Gillas skarpt. Flaska från Systembolaget. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
mrjez (514) - Osaka, JAPAN - DEC 27, 2015
L: pours a slightly hazy gold with a finger of white head leaving hood lacing. S: smells divine and complex, tropical, fruity, pine, malt. Lively and fresh feeling. T: right on point with all flavours, exceptionally well-balanced and with a hop bitterness that hits at just the right level. F: goes down crisp and smoothly, full feel, so easy to drink. O: after many years and countless bottles, Sculpin has never disappointed, and its my reference point whenever I drink an IPA.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sask89 (514) - Regina, Saskatchewan, CANADA - JAN 27, 2012
Pours a light amber colour, almost golden, clear and with a frothy white head. Strong grapefruit and orange aromas, with subtle hop scents too. Taste is bitter with little sweetness, a pretty good balance for an IPA. Lighter body, creamy and smooth on the palate, with lively carbonation. A very strong IPA overall.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
michcam8 (514) - Ohio, USA - APR 11, 2013
Good IPA that I have wanted to try for a while. Date says drink by August 2013. Aroma is of grapfruit, pine, grass, alcohol burn, and slight malt. Taste is somewhat transparent to the aroma, although toned down a little bit. Not bad, but for the price here in Ohio, I can find better, fresher IPAs.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
TattooJack (514) - Illinois, USA - SEP 9, 2014
Poured from 2 bombers into a pint glass. This is the first time I rated beer in the opposite, usually I go to places and buy beer, drink it, and then rate it. This time I found a highly rated beer, sought it out, and then drank it. Its funny how expectations change things because after reading the reviews of this beer I guess I must have been expecting a genie to fly out of the bottle and grant me three wishes. Well since this did not happen I will tell you what those wishes would have been. 1.) I wish this beer was $12 a six pack instead of $9 a bomber. b.) I wish this beer was a bit stronger maybe closer to 8% for the price. 3.) I wish I could taste any of the fruit listed on the side of the bottle that was mirrored in many of the reviews. I have had $100 a bottle cognac and can appreciate the reasons why it was 3 times the price, this is not the same, there are better IPA for cheaper. Its good not legendary.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
Brandon1989 (513) - Lewisville, Texas, USA - APR 28, 2015
This beer pours a clear golden color with a medium off white head that left some good amount of lacing around the glass. The aroma is amazing! I pick up citrus, sweet grapefruit, and pine. The taste is quite similar to the aroma. you pick up the hop bitterness right up front but it is not overwhelming and finishes with a sweet grapefruit and citrus taste on the back-end. The mouthfeel is on the light to medium side. The drinkability is quite high but you have to be careful with the abv. I wasnt sure if I would be let down by this beer but I certainly wasnt. It is truly a world class beer.