overall
RATINGS: 794   WEIGHTED AVG: 3/5   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Editor’s Note: Previously known as Yellowtail Pale Ale

The beer that launched Ballast Point. Our original Pale Ale is a rich golden brew, crafted with aromatic German hops and rounded out with a blend of American and Munich malts. While it’s hopped like a lager, we ferment it like an ale to create a smooth, bright taste that has just a hint of fruit and spice. It’s extremely drinkable, like a Kolsch should be, yet complex, like a good craft beer demands.

bsp77 (724) - Minnesota, USA - SEP 4, 2011
Serving glass: Poured from bottle into tall glass. Appearance: Slightly hazy yellow-gold with thin white head and not much lacing. Aroma: Wheat malt, citrus, apple and spicy, floral hops. Taste: Malty mix of wheat, apple, lemon and orange. Some spicy counterbalance from the noble hops. Would have liked more Munich malt than Wheat, but still quite good. Palate: Moderately high carbonation, creamy somewhat full body and semi-dry finish expected for a Kolsch. Overall: Very refreshing and enjoyable Kolsch. Not quite as dry or spicy as I prefer, and too much wheat, but those are minor gripes.

sherm1016 (1274) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 29, 2011
12oz bottle. Pours a orangish, yellow color with a thin white head. Aroma is spicy, yeasty, cereal. A little thin on the palate with average carbonation. Flavor is bitter, mild, cereal. Very drinkable.

LetsGoState (910) - Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 16, 2011
Appearance is orange with minimal white head. Aroma is some sweet earthy hops. Taste is sweet grains with a touch of bitter hops. Overall pretty good and not the average of this style.

bjt512 (292) - Athens, Georgia, USA - AUG 2, 2011
Ugh. I poured a 12 oz bottle into a shaker at a guesthouse while on vacation. I didn’t read the label closely enough to see the "kolsch" subtext, and heaven knows I wish I had. The color looked typical for a pale ale - deep yellow with hints of orange - yet this seemed to reflect the beer’s heavy-handed use of malts rather than its robustness. Flavors of skunk and sulphur permeated the dominant notes of bread and soda pop fizz, with only the faintest whiff of hops in the finish. I didn’t drink enough to comment on lacing or changes in flavor/aroma as the beer warmed. A very disappointing drainpour, given the high quality of Ballast Point’s IPAs.

thetmaxx (927) - West Sacramento, California, USA - JUL 20, 2011
Poured into my Ballast Point glass. Pours light for a ale. I didn’t realize until now it is really a kolcsh, and that makes sense now. Aroma is clean, with no hops. Flavor is light, slightly of wheat, andI do detect lemon. It’s not bad, but not as advertised, this is more of a nice summer ale, and would be pretty good as far as those go.

gsmitty80 (2130) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 6, 2011
This was a pretty light and sweet beer, not what i was expecting. I didn’t really enjoy it too much.

mrhoppy (1196) - Santa Clara, California, USA - JUN 27, 2011
Tastes like they used a similar grain recipe as the calico amber. Reminds me too much of crappy European imports. It’s kind of like a craft Corona.

48FanInCali (857) - California, USA - JUN 8, 2011
With all due respect I tried this after I had Sculpin on a nitro tap. That being said it smells like burnt towels and tastes only slightly better.

kbutler1 (1382) - Minnesota, USA - MAY 25, 2011
Draft. Enjoyed at Green Flash restaurant. Poured into a pint glass a clear yellow color with a white head. Very, very mild aroma. Light bready and really not a hop to speak of. Medium/light mouthfeel. Light and refreshing but really lacking a solid flavor. Lightly sweet start to finish. Given my options here at Green Flash, it’s what I’ll go with but given other options I would go somewhere else.

J_man (1022) - Tustin, California, USA - MAY 15, 2011
Pours a medium yellow with high effervescence and an initially billowing head. Clean malt aromas with some earthy minerality. That mineral aroma flows into the flavor along with a light saltiness and vegetal flavor. This is fairly light in body and flavor, with cereal malt and a good balancing grassy bitterness. A little of that bitterness stays behind which is good. This is described as a Kolsch, but I don’t feel it’s crisp or light enough to really qualify for that category. Overall, a decent light, refreshing beer.