overall
RATINGS: 789   WEIGHTED AVG: 3/5   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 156   ABV: 5.2%
Editor’s Note: Previously known as Yellowtail Pale Ale

The beer that launched Ballast Point. Our original Pale Ale is a rich golden brew, crafted with aromatic German hops and rounded out with a blend of American and Munich malts. While it’s hopped like a lager, we ferment it like an ale to create a smooth, bright taste that has just a hint of fruit and spice. It’s extremely drinkable, like a Kolsch should be, yet complex, like a good craft beer demands.

PorterPounder (8068) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - OCT 9, 2009
North Shore - Oahu, Hi - Turtle Point Resort - Ola Bar and Grill - 12 oz bottle. Light orange pour, white head. Brief floral aroma. Even, subtle bitterness with some light citrus accents and a little bit of nuttiness. Fades a bit in the finish. Overall, decent.

msante79 (2225) - Mount Prospect, Illinois, USA - SEP 13, 2009
12oz bottle from Lukas Liquors. Pours lightly hazed golden yellow with small white head. Aroma is bready malts and some light citrus. Flavor reminds me of peanuts at first with some bready malts and citrus. Why put pale ale on the label when you know it is not a pale ale. If I wanted a Kolsh or a wheat beer I would have bought one. For the style it is actually pretty good.

tucsonsam (24) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 4, 2009
golden yallow, light citrusy beer, not overwhelming, not too hoppy but very enjoyable

TomDecapolis (4618) - Milton, Delaware, USA - SEP 2, 2009
Pours a lightly hazy golden orange with a smaller bubbly white head. Aroma of bready malt, lightly toasted nuts and cheerios. Also getting slight lemon, hints of tropical fruits and lightly spicy noble hops. Flavor of bready very lightly toasted malt, some light citrus, floral and lightly spicy hops. Nice and crisp yet fruity.

sauceyhops (104) - carlsbad, California, USA - AUG 30, 2009
12 oz bottle. Light pour with crisp white head. Light aroma of earth and maybe the slightest hint of citrus. Thin mouthfeel and just doesn’t have enough flavor for me. Flavor of watered down malts, must, and, again, a hint of citrus hops. Ballast Point is capable of making much higher quality brews

illteez (11) - Annandale, New Jersey, USA - AUG 29, 2009
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2009 On tap at lazy boy saloon in white plains, ny. Not 100% confident I actually received the beer I ordered. This almost tastes like an ipa or even an imperial ipa. I shouldask the bartender.

smashteroid (262) - Alabama, USA - AUG 26, 2009
Pale ale, accounts for 60% of the brewery’s business. My girlfriend said it tasted like dirt. Served cold from tap at brewery. Subtle fruit notes and a crisp mouthfeel. Dry finish.

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - AUG 17, 2009
Nice yellow, straw color with a rocky, puffy head. It also had a musty smell to it. The flavor was some must, subtle fruitiness, and the mouthfeel was crisp. I could see drinking a couple of these while doing yard work. Then again, I would probably just buy the Big Eye IPA instead. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 11-30-2007 06:04:23

nimbleprop (8437) - SouthWest, Washington, Washington DC, USA - AUG 12, 2009
God bless my friend Nikhil for getting a case of these for his Indian wedding. Golden yellow, frothy white head. Fruit aroma, some citrus. Solid flavor, not very Kolsch like. Fruity and grainy. Slightly watery finish.

jdskinns (220) - South Roxana, Illinois, USA - AUG 12, 2009
Cloudy yellow/gold pour with white pillowy head. Citrus smell mixed with a little soapy smell. Tastes pretty earthy and bitter. I’m not a huge kolsch fan but this is really good. I definitely enjoyed it. Big thanks to KCDoom for the trade extra.