overall
RATINGS: 388   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 390   ABV: 13%
The Dark Knight - For those not yet familiar, the Dark Knight (yes, it is a Batman reference) is our double fermented Old 8 porter, aged in a bourbon barrel for 6 months. Double fermented refers to a second "feeding" of various sugars to increase the alcohol content as well as bolster the flavor. Chocolate, coffee, charcoal and bourbon, familiar notes from the previous batch return in this years incarnation of the DK. Served in a 5 oz pour, the bourbon note from this tap is very prominent as it is a first time use of a Jim Beam barrel.

The Dark Knight Returns - The same profile as the Dark Knight, however, since this is a second time usage of the barrel, the bourbon note is less prominent and the beer as a result is more rounded and balanced.

phaleslu (10670) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - JUN 7, 2011
Dear Dark Knight, thank you for Returning. 3 STL guys collaborated on a BA trade to land one of these growlers and opened it last night. Pours an inky, opaque dark brown with a tiny tan ring for a head. The aroma explodes with bourbon, with vanilla, oak, tannins, dark fruits (especially berries and dates), and caramel, and then it finishes with some lingering bourbony booze that rests in the nostrils for a few seconds. Good grief. The flavor didn’t entrance me quite as much but brought more bourbon, oak, rich coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malts, vanilla, and charred wood. Medium-full bodied, with a smooth, roasty, boozy mouthfeel and mild carbonation. 4 of us took down the growler and I’m glad I got to try this much. Absolutely stunning. I now have the urge to drive to Minnesota for whatever’s left of this.

drowland (9074) - Georgia, USA - AUG 13, 2011
On tap. Pitch black pour with a small brown head. Awesome aroma of bourbon, vanilla, oak, and more. Amazing flavor of wood, chocolate, coconut, and lingering roast coffee. Awesome flavors and perfect balance. Stellar.

XmnwildX12 (2079) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - NOV 10, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 24, 2012 Big chocolate and fig like scents, pours a nice black with almost no head. Taste is big time bourbon flavors, some dark fruit and a bit of bitter chocolate. One of the best beers I have had. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

dreamflower (792) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - NOV 13, 2012
This was a fantastic bourbon imperial porter. I enjoyed it a lot and am glad I had the opportunity to finally try it.

Marc (486) - Yokosuka, JAPAN - SEP 25, 2004
Bailies, wood, black malt, irish whisky in the noise with a touch of eathy hops that was dispelled after the first sip. Thick flavors of belgian chocolat, berrys, sweat(?), and electric blanket warm alcohol that adds to the expirience. Finishes warm with coco.

Slick (1969) - Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA - NOV 15, 2004
Very nice Black as a coal mine color.Small dark brown head that faded quickly and left little behind.First whif comes off as almost wine like,with a strong alcohol presence and plenty of fruit notes coming through very nicely.I can’t get over how wine like this smells,very nice.Whoa!!! Now thats a Bourbon brew baby.It’s a very smooth brew at first but thats only for a brief second or two then the Bourbon jumps out at you.Then it quits and moves onto a nice wine like flavor with plenty of fruit maybe some raisin a little plum or prune possibly.The wood tones are a bit on the mild side at first but as the brew warms the become a little more noticeable.As the fruit flavors pass it quickly jumps back into a bourbonesque finish with a nice alcohol burn as it goes down.First impression off the first tug of this brew made me a little squeemish at first but after a little warming it’s a fantastic brew with plenty of flavor and well worth the honor of being on top in it’s style.Thanks go to Footbalm and his fine job of bottling and letting me try this fine brew.

flutetokill (523) - Fresno, California, USA - NOV 19, 2004
Very dark mahogany color with a small tan head. Rich bourbon and chocolate aroma. Extremely rich, sweet bourbon, chocolate, malt, dark fruit, wood and alcohol flavors. Very thick, wet feel. This is one awesome porter! Thanks from me too, footbalm!

hezron (614) - Viroqua, Wisconsin, USA - AUG 14, 2005
The Dark Knight returns version sampled at the GTMW. This just keeps getting better. Rich, bourbon, wood, coffee and dark chocolate aroma. The roasted coffee and wood compliment each other nicely. Dark, dark black with a thick and creamy tan head that sticks, best head I’ve seen all day in my little glass. Flavor is a buttery roasted chocolate with some wood and bourbon coming out in the aftertaste. As I drink this sample more and more caramel and coffee come out in the finish. Very well balanced, unusual for the flavor to get more complex as you drink. Thick and creamy...sooo good.

Odeed (1806) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 13, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 9, 2006 (12OZ HANDBOTTLED SAMPLE FROM FOOTBALM,THANKS ERIC!)so i a dumped bit into my snifter glass and i can totally see why its called "the dark knight"black as black can be with no hightlights what so ever.a small brown head did try to form,but it faded fast and left a few bubbles swimming to the sides of the glass.i tipped the snifter to my nose and took a nice big whiff.i was smacked in the face by an aroma full of chocolate,bourbon type alcohol,figs,sticky liquorice,coffee,brown sugar,and caramel malts.man talk about an aroma!so now for the first sip.it hits my lips and sends my tounge into a tailspin!first is the chocolate and bourbon,followed by some grahm cracker,coffee,sweet malts,damn.....its really hard to keep up with all the mixing flavors at the moment.all i can say is this is the biggest,richest porter i have had so far.as i drink more i pick up notes of cherries,and even something that resembles flavors you would find in a red wine.i also cant believe how full and rich the mouthfeel is.is this really a porter????this has simply blown me away,at the moment i cant think of anything else to say except.....PROPS TO FOOTBALM!!!!(RE-RATE:I BELIEVE THIS IS ANOTHER BATCH?)not as impressed with this batch as i was the other.mouthfeel was lighter and the bourbon didnt shine as much in this one.still really nice though.

tennisjoel (1487) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - JUL 21, 2006
UPDATED: FEB 7, 2007 I heard about this small little brewpub on the north side of the cities, close to my old apartment I lived in 9-10 years ago. All of these local ratebeer guys were raving about this place that I didn’t even know existed. Actually, it didn’t exist when I lived there but was built after I moved to the southern suburbs. Then I was told, "You have to try this Dark Knight" if it is ever available. Well, I just found out it was. And I had an opportunity to visit as I was up around the area. Below is my review of this wonderful elixir. <P> The Dark Knight - I waited in anticipation as robertsreality poured my this dark black beauty. One whiff and immediately I was seduced. The perfumes were of dark chocolate, raisin, cherry, bourbon, with lacing all over the glass. Very sweet taste. I can see why some may be put off by the sweetness, but I found it very good as a dessert type beer. <P> Aroma 9 Appearance 5 Flavor 7 Palate 4 Overall 17 Total 4.2 <P> The Dark Knight Returns - Poured with very little head, which would distinguish this from the original Dark Knight. Similar in scent to the DK, but slightly mellower. I like this even more than the original, as the bourbon sweetness is more softened and mellowed out. Wow! Score/Rating above