overall
RATINGS: 70   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.35/5   IBU: 27   EST. CALORIES: 168   ABV: 5.6%
Pale Ale is not, in fact, pale. Most of you know this because you’ve been drinking it for years.

Ever wonder why it’s called that, then?

It’s because in the day, most beers were dark, unfiltered, even unsettling in appearance. That didn’t matter, because ale was consumed in leather or stoneware vessels.

With the the invention of glass, brewers were comelled to make beer that looked more appetizing. They found the answer in the use of isinglass, the swimbladder of sturgeon, which when dried, worked well to remove suspended solids in beer.

Brewers then experimented with lighter hued ales to further enhance appearance.

That’s a long way to say pale ale is pale -- compared to the porters and stouts that proceeded it.

At Barley’s, we use only British malt in our Pale Ale, as well as British hops. We think it makes a difference you can taste.This is the beer that started it all for us, and we’ve been brewing it continually without interruption since the day we opened.

BennyTicklez (621) - USA - NOV 27, 2004
Pours amber with a small white head. This beer has that same "stale" hop taste that Bass has. I don’t mean "stale" in a bad way though. It just tastes different making it stand out from others. So, I guess this is a pretty distinct pale ale then. It was higher hopped than other pale ales I have had, making it very enjoyable. I will drink again!

CBCPaleAle (73) - Ohio, USA - OCT 26, 2004
Copper in color. Nice bite to it. Great finish, but CBC is still the best in town.

AlchemistZ (493) - Kalamazoo, Michigan, USA - SEP 27, 2004
Good malt and hop aroma with hops to the forefront. Balance of malt and hops but not enough bitterness (even by english standards). Fermented dry finish leaves a winey character. More of a warm finish than a hoppy or dry finish.

savannah (37) - columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 9, 2004
Overall very good. Great on a hot day but doesn’t lack flavor. Excellent hop aroma and some bite. Good carbonation level. A bit darker than most pale ales, almost red. Unique, but very good.

Silphium (3199) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - JUN 18, 2004
On tap at Barley's #1. A very average APA that pours a bit darker than most (deep copper-red with a thin off-white head), yielding an aroma of pungent spicy, peppery, piney hops. English hops lend an earthy/buttery flavor that interplays with piney and spicy hops and toasty caramely malts. A typical example of the style, no more, no less.

invalid (302) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - APR 24, 2004
This is one of my favorite pale ales. Nice brown color, smaller white head. Full nose of citrus hop goodness. Tart grapefruit flavor with a moderate amount of sweet malt to balance. Great pale ale.

SDbruboy (1864) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 19, 2004
Draft - clear amber with a creamy white head that leaves a modest amount of lacing. Mild aroma, yet malt in the flavor with bracing pine and citrus hops coming on for the finish. Light to medium body and a nice carbonation.

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - MAR 10, 2004
My kind of pale ale - hearty, biscuity malts, huge handfull of warm edged hops, some mellow fruit flavors. Very tasty

blank (996) - Austin, Texas, USA - JUN 30, 2003
another unimpressive pale ale. I expect a lot more from my pale ales so this was a dissappoint ment. I didn't get a good flavor of hops or barley. Bland

Wakie (612) - Centreville, Virginia, USA - JUN 29, 2003
Bland, not much taste good or bad. To me there was nothing overly fantastic about this APA. It did linger a little too long on the tongue though.