overall

Style: Amber Ale
Woollahra, NSW, Australia

RATINGS: 271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Brewed for Barons Brewing by AIB

The first beer released is the Wattle Seed Ale, which starts with a blend of Australian and European malts, creating a rich flavour base of caramel with a hint of chocolate. The smooth malt flavours are lightly hopped and then infused with roasted Wattle Seed, bringing a unique and authentic Australian flavour to this fine red ale. The result is an outstanding ale that boasts a smooth taste profile balancing its robust character, an ultimately rewarding yet distinctive beer. Native Range. Formerly Barons Black Wattle Superior Wattle Seed Ale.

aobecksy's rating

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
aobecksy (700) - Middle of no where, Ohio, USA - JUL 23, 2009
Terrfic drink, superioerquality in head, lace, body, tast and finish. Extremely smooth taste with lots of chocolatey light spiciness. This is an amazing beer!

Bill Becker (1775) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 9, 2017
From Apr 2008 This pours from 330 ml bottle(best by 04/24/08) a clear amber brown with a 2 finger head of billowy foam that doesn't appear to be going any where soon. Yep, great head retention with some good lacing. The smell is *very* malty. I can also smell notes of milk chocolate. The taste is on the sweet side as I'm getting some caramel malt, chocolate, and another sweetness that I can't put into words properly. Must be the Wattle seed. OK, I'm getting some nutty notes now that I didn't notice in the initial sips...kind of like hazelnut(me a big fan of Rogue HN) and that's kicking up the drinkability factor for me but just a bit. This is not something I would want to try to session on. For a lack of better words, it's too unusual. It has a medium mouthfeel, the carbonation is lightly done, and it finishes with a mix of sweetness and nuttiness and the mf gets a bit watery. I like it but I don't think I could drink more than 1 at a sitting. Maybe it will grow on me, who knows. Cost: US$9.99 a six pack.

Danev76 (505) - AUSTRALIA - JUL 14, 2014
Golden syrup aroma. Dark brown in colour with ok head. Chocolate malt flavor with excellent aftertaste. Low carbonation with medium body and good warmth.

Jmar33 (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 22, 2014
Bottle. Nothing particularly special. The ’Australian’ flavour is there, but not in the way advertised: It has that lagery hop smell and thin mouthfeel.

oh6gdx (26485) - Vasa, FINLAND - MAY 14, 2013
[email protected] (backlog). Reddish copper colour, mediumsized off-white to beige head, that leaves lace. Aroma is nutty, caramelly, some crystal maltyness as well as some spicyness. Flavour follows the same pattern, but considering it’s 5.8 %, it has got a very thin palate.

jdpeebs (698) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUL 13, 2012
330ml bottle. I’m just updating my records. A very nice beer. Nice malty beer.

Billicus (296) - @RED BHUT JOIKIAS!, Paulsboro, New Jersey, USA - MAR 8, 2012
Aroma, backstrap molasses, malt syrup color, meduim amber hue hardly any head taste, rich maltness, then a molasses syrup taste, full bodied overall, ok, not bad, really heavy Molasses flavor, this was the best beer I had last nite!

callmemickey (4561) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2012
A: A tad lighter then a chestnut brown with a thin off-white bubbly head that was almost non-existent in a minute... S: Caramel and coffee malts... faint floral hop background... T: Mostly caramel flavored malts, coffee enters toward the middle before a soft hop finish... M: Smooth and a tad thin for my liking... O: Goes down easy, but that isn’t always the point...

SDalkoholic (2424) - Linda Vista, California, USA - NOV 25, 2011
Bottle from Keg N bottle #2: Poured with a thick and frothy layer of foam head while the liquid was a light English tea color. My nose detects a sweet aroma of caramel malts, honey, and some light nectar or pollen from a flower. The flavor is boring but I can’t imply that it is totally bland since there are notes of sweet toffee styled malts, semi bitter hops, and an undertone of tobacco or leaves used to make tea. This has been a six pack that has been hitting a lot of stores lately and it makes me wonder who is buying this?

Signalwriter (86) - Houston, Texas, USA - MAY 29, 2011
As GT2 pointed out, I tasted a brew labeled Barons Native Range Black Wattle Original Ale - since this bottle came direct from Oz, a gift from Susan Tapper. In this edition, the beer’s as unusual as you might think Australia is: great red-amber color, plenty of malty taste (caramel, toffee). Plus there’s sweet nut, chocolate...and molasses. This must be from the wattle seed. No way to tell if these are the beer’s "normal" tastes. One truly weird thing: I left the last inch or so in a glass, in the sun, while I was doing chores: the HOT beer emphasized the brew’s unusual flavors. It’s an acquired taste, but rather nice!

jkwalking05 (4745) - Arlington, Texas, USA - JAN 18, 2011
Copper in color with a small off-white head. Taste is of toast, caramel, and grain. Aroma is of malt, bread, caramel, and light hops.