overall

Style: Amber Ale
Woollahra, NSW, Australia

RATINGS: 271   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.13/5   EST. CALORIES: 174   ABV: 5.8%
Brewed for Barons Brewing by AIB

The first beer released is the Wattle Seed Ale, which starts with a blend of Australian and European malts, creating a rich flavour base of caramel with a hint of chocolate. The smooth malt flavours are lightly hopped and then infused with roasted Wattle Seed, bringing a unique and authentic Australian flavour to this fine red ale. The result is an outstanding ale that boasts a smooth taste profile balancing its robust character, an ultimately rewarding yet distinctive beer. Native Range. Formerly Barons Black Wattle Superior Wattle Seed Ale.

Bill Becker (1998) - Casper, Wyoming, USA - NOV 9, 2017
From Apr 2008 This pours from 330 ml bottle(best by 04/24/08) a clear amber brown with a 2 finger head of billowy foam that doesn't appear to be going any where soon. Yep, great head retention with some good lacing. The smell is *very* malty. I can also smell notes of milk chocolate. The taste is on the sweet side as I'm getting some caramel malt, chocolate, and another sweetness that I can't put into words properly. Must be the Wattle seed. OK, I'm getting some nutty notes now that I didn't notice in the initial sips...kind of like hazelnut(me a big fan of Rogue HN) and that's kicking up the drinkability factor for me but just a bit. This is not something I would want to try to session on. For a lack of better words, it's too unusual. It has a medium mouthfeel, the carbonation is lightly done, and it finishes with a mix of sweetness and nuttiness and the mf gets a bit watery. I like it but I don't think I could drink more than 1 at a sitting. Maybe it will grow on me, who knows. Cost: US$9.99 a six pack.

Danev76 (505) - AUSTRALIA - JUL 14, 2014
Golden syrup aroma. Dark brown in colour with ok head. Chocolate malt flavor with excellent aftertaste. Low carbonation with medium body and good warmth.

Jmar33 (210) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 22, 2014
Bottle. Nothing particularly special. The ’Australian’ flavour is there, but not in the way advertised: It has that lagery hop smell and thin mouthfeel.

oh6gdx (26485) - Vasa, FINLAND - MAY 14, 2013
[email protected] (backlog). Reddish copper colour, mediumsized off-white to beige head, that leaves lace. Aroma is nutty, caramelly, some crystal maltyness as well as some spicyness. Flavour follows the same pattern, but considering it’s 5.8 %, it has got a very thin palate.

jdpeebs (698) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - JUL 13, 2012
330ml bottle. I’m just updating my records. A very nice beer. Nice malty beer.

Billicus (296) - @RED BHUT JOIKIAS!, Paulsboro, New Jersey, USA - MAR 8, 2012
Aroma, backstrap molasses, malt syrup color, meduim amber hue hardly any head taste, rich maltness, then a molasses syrup taste, full bodied overall, ok, not bad, really heavy Molasses flavor, this was the best beer I had last nite!

callmemickey (4561) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 21, 2012
A: A tad lighter then a chestnut brown with a thin off-white bubbly head that was almost non-existent in a minute... S: Caramel and coffee malts... faint floral hop background... T: Mostly caramel flavored malts, coffee enters toward the middle before a soft hop finish... M: Smooth and a tad thin for my liking... O: Goes down easy, but that isn’t always the point...