overall
RATINGS: 1991   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair – GOLD 2003 California State Fair – GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

gabbledbabble (60) - Loveland, Colorado, USA - JAN 30, 2005
55F. Cool color. Like mahogany, but someone spilled motoroil on it, and wiped it up quick. Rusted froth, my-my-my it looks so sexy with lace dripping off all the curves of my imperial pint. Ooh, it’s randy too! This runs on hop fumes, and has a sweet and spicy body. I believe this would be sensational without the heavy hop swaddling, but it is a hop rod.

StewardofGondor (1933) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - JAN 26, 2005
Pours a deep mahogany with a decent off-white head. Heavy lacing on my boot glass. Smells awesome - subtle floral bouquet, pine, hops and a little honey. Great taste. Dry, bitter, full, complete...fantastic. The rye creeps up on you in the aftertaste. Mild alcohol hit at the back of the throat, but it’s barely noticable. This is the best IPA I’ve had to date.

desurfer (1302) - Melbourne, Florida, USA - JAN 23, 2005
Pours a deep brown with a big rocky head. Aroma is hoppy and sweet, with mostly piney notes. I don’t notice any distinct rye flavor, but the hoppiness is mixed with a dry wheatiness, which I presume is the rye. This is mostly a hop beast, and while it’s good, nothing stands out as truly exceptional.

millerclmb (44) - Boulder, Missouri, USA - JAN 23, 2005
Very subtle hop infuse aroma. Nice redish brown color with a slight head. Barly stlye appearance. I’m not sure what the deal is with the rye, because I don’t taste anything exceptional or distinctive. I do taste an incredible American strong ale that is unique and undefined. Great unique taste...malty and well balanced hop bitterness.

joshpiledean (316) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JAN 22, 2005
Crystal clear red/brown pour, small off white chunky head, and very active carbonation. Strong bitter hop aroma, light malt backing, light alcohol. Hits hard up from with hops, long hoppy aftertaste, but it’s rounded out pretty nicely with some good malty character. Almost reminds me of a toned down Arrogant Bastard. My second Bear Republic brew. I’m really starting to like these guys a lot!

JadoreBlanche (114) - London, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 22, 2005
At Cafe volo, in toronto avec doug shoemaker and Mr.manning. Thanks doug!!!! Dark brownish/orange body with foamy off white head. Very hoppy aroma, and grassiness present. Has an initial sweetness ont he tounge, very bitter hoppy after taste with some slight malt. Bitter, bitter, and even more bitter grassiness lingers as well. Not my style, to much hops for me, but nice!

Saarlander (1920) - Saarlouis, GERMANY - JAN 20, 2005
A great beer, spicy, stong, but not alcohol dominated, great hoppiness. Long lasting head. Dark ruby color. Love this beer!

jmcguire1969 (163) - Lafayette, Colorado, USA - JAN 18, 2005
Very good! There is nothing sweet about this beer...very bitter and hoppy. At first glance the color screams "another sweet and syrupy high ABV IPA" but the Rye malt give it a bitter punch that lets the hops shine through and linger in the nose. BTW, first time seen in Boulder County for me. Shaka Tamasna Kata Frata Brada!

RAYBOY01 (2010) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JAN 17, 2005
A truly great IPA. A hophead’s wet dream...but they dry-hop it, too! Maybe it’s the rye, but there is a huge smooth roundness to the mouthfeel that I love. The hop aroma and flavor are none too subtle...in fact, they cold-cock you...and I thank the Bear Republic for that.

MillStreetMan (152) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - JAN 16, 2005
Wow. This was just amazing, especially as an IPA, probably among the best I’ve ever had. As a huge fan of hops, even I was surprised at the dark, dark burgundy-brown that this poured. It looks, and is, absolutely delicious, with a full-bodied hop and malt flavour without being too treacly. It is a fantastic example of balance, as it brings a great deal of flavour to the table and manages to balance them all out so that none cancel each other out, and rather, they compliment each other.