overall
RATINGS: 2014   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair GOLD 2003 California State Fair GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) GOLD

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Frank (4060) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 25, 2004
I feel a rambling a-comin move on to the next review if you want something to the point.... I gotta wonder if a big, hoppy brew is the best way to showcase the unique flavors rye can add to the beer. I mean--and maybe this is just my virginal palate speaking--I cannot for the life of me figure out exactly what character rye adds to this beer. Maybe its that hint of molasses and spice in the nose or the earthy overtones in the finish. Maybe thats the hops. Who knows? What Im wondering here is: should I rate this beer lower because I cant discern the rye character even though its labeled as a rye beer? If a beer were labeled as an IPA but didnt have a nice hoppy signature, I think that I would be tempted to rate it a little lower than if it were labeled simply as a pale ale. I guess in the end--style and labeling be damned-- Im rating beers based on if I like them or not. And I found Hop Rod to be rather good, as a matter of fact. It pours a delectable mahogany color with wisp of a white foam that lingers and leaves a couple delicate spots of lace on the side of the glass. The nose is hoppy, slightly earthy with hints of honey and molasses. Those hints are really what make this beer enjoyable as they add balance to what would otherwise be a simple hop-monster. Yay for balance! The palate is full and somewhat sticky. I think a little more assertive carbonation would have helped to give this beer a little more zest on the tongue and stopped it from feeling so heavy. But, overall, it was really very enjoyable. I might have another should the muse strike for me to drink something brewed with rye that doesnt taste like rye. For the record, I liked the Racer 5 I tried earlier today better.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
BennyTicklez (621) - USA - JUL 23, 2004
Pours amber with a big head. Aroma is floral hops. Taste is hops and alcohol. Not as much hop taste as I expected though. Lots of sediments in this beer, being unfiltered. Decent hop aftertaste.

jimmack (1223) - Nutley, New Jersey, USA - JUL 21, 2004
Dark amber with a large white head. Great hop aroma with hints of citrus and pine. Nice hop flavor, not overpowering but assertive. Strange undetectable flavor that I must assume is rye, never tasting a rye ale before. Warming alcohol finish. One of the best surprises at the festival.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 15/20
kwoeltje (2233) - Manchester, Missouri, USA - JUL 14, 2004
Deep copper with nice cream head. Citrus/rye aroma. Full bodied. Wel hopped with a noticable rye flavor.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
BckDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUL 14, 2004
Clear bronze/ruby color with a nice sticky head & moderate lacing. The aroma is earthy & spicy like pemento bread & some rich sour dough, the rye is balanced with some good hop notes. The flavor has a sweet impact with grapefruity bitterness & a medium bodied mouthfeel, light creamy & toasty. Almost no alcohol feel in the tail.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sham (1844) - Seattle, Washington, USA - JUL 14, 2004
Pours amber red with a thin, creamy head and little lacing. Aroma of citrus hops, grapefruit, caramel, rye and juniper. Flavors consist of bitter hops, citrus, more caramel, plenty of rye and some more grapefruit. Chewy, bitter rye finish.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
Aurelius (5158) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Yknow, its either freeze or fry. Either Im outta beer, or Im swimming in good beer. A very nice citric, malty aroma. Indeed hoppy, with some quinine bitterness, pretty dry, woody at times. Good auburn color and long-lasting head. Label is kinda clipart-ish. There are a zillion cooler things that you could do with Hot Rod for a theme. The finish is a little too astringent and persistant. Burps piney.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
PorterPounder (7616) - Tallahassee, Florida, USA - JUL 13, 2004
Dark copper pour, fluffy, spongy beige head, thick lacing. Tangy sweet sprucey aroma - reminds me of walking through a pine forest. Tangy, citrusy flavor, not tongue numbing with the hops - but you know they are there. A good solid malt backbone to this one keeps this one farly balanc and drinkable. Tangy mouthfeel - a little but heavy on the tongue though. Impressed with Bear Republic thus far.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
CamdenD (1195) - Madrid, SPAIN - JUL 13, 2004
UPDATED: DEC 19, 2012 Very very good beer. Love the hint of rye that gives this beer a lot of character and individuality. I suppose you could call this an IIPA, but it reminds me more of an arrogant bastard, but a bit more understated. Wonderful drinking beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
snowtiger (106) - Brighton, Colorado, USA - JUL 13, 2004
I have had this before but not in a while and I drank a botlte last night watching the home run derby so ... Deep amber color with big head. Aroma is of citrusy hops backed up by malt. The flavor is very well balance even though there is a lot going on. Bitterness from hops, malty and spicy (from the rye) Finshes dry, spicy, and bitter. The rye comes through well and adds to the complexity of the beer.