overall
RATINGS: 1989   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.91/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A high gravity IPA brewed with 18% rye malt. Hop Rod Rye has a floral hop aroma and subtle caramel notes with a slightly earthy and spicy rye character. 2009 California State Fair – GOLD 2003 California State Fair – GOLD 2002 Real Ale Festival (Chicago) – GOLD

jeffc666 (1984) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - AUG 9, 2003
UPDATED: APR 17, 2006 Updated 4/17/2006 - (Old rating 9/4/8/4/18-4.3) I always coem back to this beer. It is always so lovely. From the luscious creamy light tan head to the sparkling copper body and that aroma, of that aroma. The rye adds the perfect touch both in flavor and palate. Some might think me crude to love this beer so, but I do love it so.

Updated 3/31/04 - Damn this is the strongest and purest hoppy nose I have ever smelled. This new batch is seriously good. Clear deep reddish-amber with a frothy off-white head. Caramel and piney/citrus hop aromas. A hint of rye? Good hop malt balance, creamy big-body with a very smooth finish.

mribm (463) - Ocala, Florida, USA - FEB 6, 2004
22 oz. Bottle. Poured from the bottle with an impressive head which lasted a long time and left a lot of lacing behind. Citrusy type hops dominate the nose, taste and finish of this beer. While the hops took control of this beer, the malt in the background added a real nice dimension to this beer. Hop Rod Rye Ale has become one of my favorite beers and this was my first one. I am a hop lover, so this beer fits the bill when it comes to extreme hoppiness. If you love hops like I do, you will LOVE this beer. It is perfect in my opinion.

WeissGary (290) - Glasgow, SCOTLAND - MAY 23, 2013
Bottle. This beer is phenomenal! Absolutely amazing! Pretty much a hop bamb! Ruby red body, lovely strong hop aroma, sharp hop taste up front, smooth and sweet on the tongue with a nice dry malt finish... tasting notes are really hard to convey how awesome this beer is; basically this is full on hop with a lovely sweet taste weaving through it, absolutely lovely!!

LHopitalPianuo (5) - California, USA - AUG 2, 2013 does not count
Poured into a tall 24 oz chilled glass with a large head. Robust aroma. Initially there is a big piney taste but it becomes smooth after a few sips. Simply spine chilling with a pleasant lingering aftertaste. I could drink this ALL DAY and never get bloated. Still this one will put hair on your chest.

daver1999 (1) - - SEP 14, 2013 does not count
Dark red in colour with a thin white head that quickly dissipates leaves some lacing on the glass.

Can smell grapefruits and of course the rye is very distinctive.

Almost no carbonation very smooth on the way down.

Tastes like grapefruit, very bitter and a big rye taste. The flavour of this beer is huge.

Overall this is one of my favourite beers, its delicious and I could definitely drink a few of these even at 8% abv, and I have.