overall
RATINGS: 2546   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed American pale and crystalmalts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There’s a trophy in every glass. 2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD; 2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show; 2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

garmonbozia (450) - Hattiesburg, Mississippi, USA - APR 30, 2007
Not exactly what I was expecting. The beer did have a nice bitterness to it, but it didn’t reach out and grab me. Pours a nice copper color with a white head. I didn’t detect much of a citrus,grapefruit smell that is known in the west cost. It was smooth though, but I just didn’t detect alot of flavor. Kinda watery mouthfeel, but it did have a nice malt backbone to it.

Juelze (1146) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - APR 29, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2008 Pours a burnt orange color with thick frothy head that pillows over my glass, and also leaves a lot of lacing. Lots of yeast in the bottle, but it remains somewhat clear. Nose is quite citrusy with orange, grapefruit and light lemon. Also a bit of pine in it as well. Taste is much like the aroma, highly citrus and highly drinkable with a spicey hoppiness. Solid IPA and at $3.99 a bomber, a frickin deal!

nightrider (754) - encinitas, California, USA - APR 27, 2007
Golden slightly murky. Aroma of hops and pine. Flavors of slight citrus and not great complexity or finish. Good ipa but not outstanding.

kegoguinness (45) - Dodge City, Washington DC, USA - APR 23, 2007
Racer 5 with hops alive! This review ain’t shuck and jive. A crowning jewel of hops sensation; sends me to such great elation. WIth neighbors convened on our porch, I passed around the Racer torch. Though some chagrined the sharper taste, ’twas a beer I was not to waste. I finished the bomber with a wry smile, thinking this beer is certainly one of syle.

Nate (4296) - Indiana, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 22, 2007
From bottle. Aroma is that of a cat urinating on a grapefruit covered in pine resin. Some light fruitiness, too. Dull amber gold with thin off-white lacing head. Medium watery body with medium-light carbonation. Sweet with a bit of saccharin. Not a bit malty profile, just a fake kind of sweetness that’s very thin. Finish is harsh bitter, astringent and chemical. Not very balanced and too bitter at the end.

tbookman (618) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 21, 2007
Medium amber color- pretty clear. Aroma is piney, with notes of honey and a hint of flowery perfume. Smooth flavor, moderately hopped, notes of pine, citrus, sweet honey and slightly astringent. Fairly easy on the palate and a good session IPA.

redbeard (6) - Eugene, Oregon, USA - APR 20, 2007 does not count
UPDATED: APR 23, 2007 Less of an IPA and more of a pale ale, really. Sweet, slightly floral taste and aroma. Very little bitterness. Creamy, yet moderately fizzy texture. Sugary smooth. Moderately hoppy. Fans of bold IPA’s won’t like this one much. As a traditial IPA I would give it a lower rating. As merely "a beer" I would highly recommend it.

swedishfish (29) - Bristol, Rhode Island, USA - APR 18, 2007
This was a quality IPA. The smell really blew me away I thought it smelled awsome. My friend (Drink4Satan) poured this beer into my snifter right when I took a whiff I instantly knew it was an IPA. It had that IPA hoppy taste which just made my tastebuds melt. Lasted for a fairly medium amount of time on my palate. Was a good IPA I’d definetly have it again.

Drink4Satan (677) - Washington, Washington DC, USA - APR 18, 2007
Pours a slightly hazy orange/copper with medium sized white head. Smells of greapfuity hops with some strong acidic notes. The body is a little thin, but the hop-malt balance is perfect. The hops have a floral, perfume-like character.

Alldaydrinker (559) - Norwood, Massachusetts, USA - APR 18, 2007
Poured into a pint glass thanks to (Drink4satan) with a cloudy, fine particle, hazy amber colour and minimum head. Lasting head. Aroma is grapfruite bitter citrus hops and floral. Initial taste is hoppy slight malts with a full body. Carbonation is minimum and it compensates the beer well. The palate to the aftertaste is bitter and lasting. The palate in this case is pretty good.