overall
RATINGS: 2536   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed American pale and crystalmalts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There’s a trophy in every glass. 2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD; 2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show; 2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

gabbo27 (5) - whittier, California, USA - AUG 13, 2004 does not count
I have absolutley nothing bad to say about this beer. A hop lovers dream. Probably the best I.P.A. I’ve had so far.

soulassasin (3) - San Marcos, California, USA - JAN 12, 2007 does not count
Great bif hopy flavor and aroma. The combo of columbus and cascade hops really take this one to another level.

ikreckel (4) - USA - JUL 10, 2008 does not count
There is not a better balanced beer in my opinion. From the initial look (perfect orange coloring) to the bouquet, to the first taste through to the finish, every part of the beer (alcohol, hops and barley) is perfectly in balance. I’ll be drinking this one for a long time.

sickboy79 (66) - USA - AUG 22, 2009
This is absolutely one of my favorite IPAs. Wonderful hoppy nose and finish with a great citrus flavor. Highly recommended!

RichardW (1813) - Carlisle, Cumbria, ENGLAND - JUL 6, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 23, 2010 Draught, Burger Bar, SF. One of my highest rated beers and I’m a dark beer lover......Tremendous floral aroma, fantastic fruity flavour and a fine body, keeping the head throughout. *Additional rating 22 Aug ’10. - brought a bottle of this back from SF and have just drunk it at home. It’s as good as it is on draught; beautiful creamy texture, with a grassy, hoppy hit. Just a hint of warming alcohol in the chest as it slips down so easily. Grapefruit dominates and there’s a massively long aftertaste, with sweet tangerine apparent very late on. A real stunner of a beer.

mkel07 (6195) - Brisbane, AUSTRALIA - NOV 20, 2010
355ml bottle. Big, bold and hopped to the hilt. Amber sunset colour with a thick white foam that settles quite quickly. Great aroma of those floral hops that fill the nose and makes you want to start drinking. Great mouthfeel and flavour, smooth and silky with a flavour that dances across the tongue and down the throat. Wow what a great beer.

tatumm22 (1) - - MAY 13, 2011 does not count
Amazing. One of the best IPAs out there. Brewery s based out of California. I am still standing strong on my commitment to only buy IPA’s west of the rockies. I was complimented on my purchase of a 6 pack at the liquor store this evening. Poured a bottle into a tulip glass. Had a minimal amount of head that went away quickly. The nose on this beer is so refreshing - smells like grapefruit zest. Very minimal carbonation or effervescence, but doesn’t feel flat. This beer is so hoppy, but amazingly isn’t overly bitter or dry. Well balanced. Dry finish. Highly recommended!

Thisis12ptfont (1207) - Los Angeles, CA, California, USA - JUN 21, 2012
For my 200th rated beer, I am reviewing my favorite beer. The Racer 5 aroma brings piney, leafy hops to the nose. The appearance is a lightened gold with a medium sized foam at the top. Taste is the epitome of delicious, perfect balance between bittering hops and balancing malts. Agressive bittering hop bite upfront quickly vanishing into a smooth, bready/caramel malt background. Subtle carbonation with a full bodied taste and noticable alcohol presence. Overall, this is the all time perfect brew with all factors taken into consideration. Spectacularly balanced taste, agressive bitter hops yet balanced out by the sweet malts. All for a great, low price. I give this an A+ rating. I love this beer!

TheJDA (5) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 7, 2012 does not count
I hold a special place in my heart for Racer 5 as it was my first real IPA experience years ago and I haven’t looked back since. There is no flavor quite like it - piney, satisfying, delicious. This beer is best on tap - the Hemlock in San Francisco, CA has one of the best if you’re ever in town. Bottles don’t quite capture Racer 5’s stingy nature. Racer 5 is everything an IPA should be without being a douche about it. Humble, flavorful and never disappointing.

Emeister84 (2505) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - JAN 1, 2013
Aroma: citrus hops. Appearance: golden with white head. Taste: bitter and citrusy. Palate: smooth, but prickly on the tip of the tongue, lingering citrusy bitterness.