overall
RATINGS: 2536   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.87/5   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 225   ABV: 7.5%
This hoppy American IPA is a full bodied beer brewed American pale and crystalmalts, and heavily hopped with Chinook, Cascade, Columbus and Centennial. There’s a trophy in every glass. 2009 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – GOLD; 2009 Colorado State Fair – Best of Show; 2006 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 2005 Great American Beer Festival® American-Style Strong Pale Ale – SILVER; 1999 Great American Beer Festival® India Pale Ale - GOLD

AgentSteve (1647) - SF Bay Area, California, USA - AUG 25, 2007
UPDATED: APR 17, 2010 Bottle, pours copper shade. Beautiful. Big hop aroma, with thick eggshell colored head. A little citrus in the palate and hops fill it out nicely. Pretty accessible.

kmweaver (3207) - Petaluma, California, USA - AUG 23, 2007
22oz bottle. Pours a bright, golden-orange color; fluffy off-white head with brilliant retention and lacing. Dense, resiny and sticky hop aroma: emphasis on citrus and oranges, with an earthiness in there. Seems kind of similar to the Buckeye Amarillo from last night, but with a bit more malty chewiness to it. Medium-to-full, dense mouthfeel: plenty of chewy, resiny hop juice; average carbonation; nice floral / sticky presence as well, almost like the oiliness of fresh hops; restrained bitterness, just intensely flavorful and tasty. Lengthy, citrus and orange hop finish.

BDR (2534) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - AUG 20, 2007
Some sort of amber orangish color with ample head. Citrus (grapefruit) hops on the nose. Similar citrus hop flavor that yields to an almost dry palate cleansing malt flavor.

Goodgrief (2049) - Middletown, Delaware, USA - AUG 19, 2007
A very good IPA. The pour and aroma were very ordinary. Light amber color with a decent head. Strong piney aroma. The taste was nice and malty good with a good balance of hops, but not hop-crazy. I loved the nice oily smooth mouthfeel of this beer. I don’t like many IPA’s, but this one is near the top of my list.

zebracakes (1339) - Washington DC, USA - AUG 19, 2007
On draft at Birreria Paradiso in Georgetown. Hazy orange yellow, white head. Aroma is tangerine, caramel, peat. Flavor is the same and a bit too wet earth for me. It reminds me of a bog.

bdjames29 (273) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - AUG 16, 2007
Bottle. I see this IPA has received rave reviews and usually I am in agreeance but this one just didn’t do it for me. Aroma was a touch skunky. Flavor was nice pine, a touch of citrus. Finish was not as bold as I was expecting in terms of the hoppiness. Perhaps I got a bad bottle. I’ll have to rerate, but for now - this wasn’t even in my top ten IPAs.

Darkover (1540) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - AUG 15, 2007
Dark golden color with a white head and heavy lacing. Very hoppy aroma(citrus, piney and floral.) Flavor of piney hops and spices(pepper). Really good.

jstraw (1967) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - AUG 15, 2007
UPDATED: DEC 4, 2007 Cloudy orange gold with big, foamy head / Pineapple and hop nose / Medium body, good balance of malt and hops, with good finish / Flavors of pineapple, orange, flowers, and a touch of orange and honey / Not spectacular, but solid and very good.

RCL (2030) - Waltham, Massachusetts, USA - AUG 12, 2007
Grapefruit and orange hop aroma. Clean grains with a fairly light body. A nice tingly sensation on the tongue from both the carbonation and the hops.

rajendra82 (1098) - Alpharetta, Georgia, USA - AUG 3, 2007
Many thanks to BA TexIndy for this bomber of Racer 5 from our recent trade. The pour was clear pale, and the head atop was large and retained well, as is typically the case with IPAs. The smell was quite strongly hoppy for a single IPA. The alluring smell of grapefruit and apricot just begged me to take the first sip. As I did it, a spicy and generously bitter taste tingled my tongue as the ample carbonation amplified it. Following this was the malt, but it was not candy sweet like some other beers of this strength, but more caramelized, drippy, and soft. The aftertaste was salty and citric. The hop oils coated every part of the tongue after each swallow, leaving a long drawn out tingly aftertaste. Mouthfeel was medium full and quenching. One of the most pleasing beers to drink if you are ever drawn towards hops like I am. All I can say is the following:

I pledge allegiance to the checkered flag of Racer 5 and to the Bear Republic for which it stands, one brewer underdog, independent, with deliciousness and hops for all.