overall
RATINGS: 1468   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   IBU: 67   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it’s origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors. 2009 California State Fair - SILVER 1999 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales or Lagers - SILVER 1998 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales - SILVER

chargerfanjess (129) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 14, 2006
Caramel, caramel and caramel, in aroma and flavor. Deep clear red and crystal clear. Over the top caramel however the hop bitterness cancels it out in the end, You’d call that a balance but one after the other. Nice clean dry finish.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - MAR 13, 2006
A very nice and easy to drink albeit lighter take on this style. Seems everyone is trying to make these imperial red styles. This has some really basic and typical cascade hop profile flavors and caramel malt. Easy to drink, but boring and run of the mill.

GreenDragon (219) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Pours a dark mahagony brown with a small off-white head. Hoppy aroma with fruity and nutty undertones. Strong malty taste with a spicy finish.

maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Clear dark amber color with a thick off-white head that mostly diminishes. Caramel and hops aroma. Bitter flavor mixed with some sweet caramel.

auerbrau (3206) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2006
651 mL Bottle - Courtesy of awaisanen I hate being critical of beers or styles that friends take the time and trouble to send me, especially after I’ve specifically asked them for the beer, or they’re taken special time to send me special bottles of (Thanks Andy and Chris), but damn, I’m tired of west coast American Strong Ales. They’re all the same to me! Give me a Belgian or an English Strong Ale any day. These "Double" Red/Amber/Brown/Scottish/whatever with punishing levels of similiar hop profiles just don’t light my fire. Yeah, they’re tasty and they’re good carriers of west coast hops, but I really don’t feel like the malt character is that much better or more interesting than an IIPA. Anyway, enough ranting, time to get rating. Here’s what I though. Pours a hazed light brawny fire, with a finger of clean creamy tan head. Rich, but typical, Cascade orange and pine aroma. Flavor is a punishing orange resin, with fresh squeeze grapefruit and floral with a hint of Jack Pine. Very light gentle toffee in the sweet background malt character. Head is ridiculously lacy. Light nuttiness and a hint of lemon. Palate leaves a grassy fresh bite on the tounge. Good body and thickness. Maybe I need to have a bad example of these attempts before I can appreciate them more. Thanks Andy!

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 5, 2006
No. 33 is surprisingly not Rolling Rock from the glass lined barrels of old Latrobe. Every since South Park, I have not been able to envision red rocket as anything but…..well, you know. And if you don’t, you really should watch South Park. Even though we’re all adults here, I’m pretty sure that it may not be appropriate material. But his Red Rocket is quite an appropriate brew. Caramel-sweet malts with a whipcrack of hop bitterness blasting off in my mouth.

IrishBoy (4233) - Bakersfield, California, USA - FEB 28, 2006
On tap at the pub. Dark amber-red color with a tan head. Malty hop taste with a nice bit of bitterness

winegarner (220) - san diego, California, USA - FEB 26, 2006
Poured adark red witha long lasting tan head. A heavy dose of american hops dominate the aroma and balance out the malty flavors. Once the hop bitterness fades a nice finish of caramel, cherry, fig and pine follow. For my tastes a little softer use of hops would make this an exceptional beer.

illinismitty (2377) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottle. pours dark amber with a huge off- white head and good lacing. Aroma dominated by cascade hops with a backdrop of caramel and something I can’t figure out.....rye maybe? Bold hoppiness in the flavor with a sweet caramel backbone. Finish is dry and bitter. Flavor lacks some complexity, but still a darn respectable beer....as long as you like hops.

MarkBarnes (419) - Waterville, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2006
Feb. 24, 2006; 22 oz. "bomber"

I’ve liked everything I’ve tried from this brewery so far, and this "hop-head’s" delight is no exception. Dark, hazy red/amber. Hops dominate, but their influence is tempered by some sweet malts. The bitterness long outlasts the other elements though, making it seem stronger than 6.8% ABV -- and it’s sure to give the uninitiated taster a "bitter beer face!"