overall
RATINGS: 1489   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   IBU: 67   EST. CALORIES: 204   ABV: 6.8%
Red Rocket Ale is a bastardized Scottish style red ale that traces it’s origins to our homebrew roots. This full bodied and hoppy brew finishes on the palate with sweet, caramel malt flavors. 2009 California State Fair - SILVER 1999 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales or Lagers - SILVER 1998 Great American Beer Festival® Other Strong Ales - SILVER

maniac (3800) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 9, 2006
Clear dark amber color with a thick off-white head that mostly diminishes. Caramel and hops aroma. Bitter flavor mixed with some sweet caramel.

auerbrau (3203) - Ithaca, New York, USA - MAR 7, 2006
651 mL Bottle - Courtesy of awaisanen I hate being critical of beers or styles that friends take the time and trouble to send me, especially after I’ve specifically asked them for the beer, or they’re taken special time to send me special bottles of (Thanks Andy and Chris), but damn, I’m tired of west coast American Strong Ales. They’re all the same to me! Give me a Belgian or an English Strong Ale any day. These "Double" Red/Amber/Brown/Scottish/whatever with punishing levels of similiar hop profiles just don’t light my fire. Yeah, they’re tasty and they’re good carriers of west coast hops, but I really don’t feel like the malt character is that much better or more interesting than an IIPA. Anyway, enough ranting, time to get rating. Here’s what I though. Pours a hazed light brawny fire, with a finger of clean creamy tan head. Rich, but typical, Cascade orange and pine aroma. Flavor is a punishing orange resin, with fresh squeeze grapefruit and floral with a hint of Jack Pine. Very light gentle toffee in the sweet background malt character. Head is ridiculously lacy. Light nuttiness and a hint of lemon. Palate leaves a grassy fresh bite on the tounge. Good body and thickness. Maybe I need to have a bad example of these attempts before I can appreciate them more. Thanks Andy!

Fantomas23 (463) - Pewaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 5, 2006
No. 33 is surprisingly not Rolling Rock from the glass lined barrels of old Latrobe. Every since South Park, I have not been able to envision red rocket as anything but…..well, you know. And if you don’t, you really should watch South Park. Even though we’re all adults here, I’m pretty sure that it may not be appropriate material. But his Red Rocket is quite an appropriate brew. Caramel-sweet malts with a whipcrack of hop bitterness blasting off in my mouth.

IrishBoy (4185) - Bakersfield, California, USA - FEB 28, 2006
On tap at the pub. Dark amber-red color with a tan head. Malty hop taste with a nice bit of bitterness

winegarner (220) - san diego, California, USA - FEB 26, 2006
Poured adark red witha long lasting tan head. A heavy dose of american hops dominate the aroma and balance out the malty flavors. Once the hop bitterness fades a nice finish of caramel, cherry, fig and pine follow. For my tastes a little softer use of hops would make this an exceptional beer.

illinismitty (2271) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 25, 2006
Bottle. pours dark amber with a huge off- white head and good lacing. Aroma dominated by cascade hops with a backdrop of caramel and something I can’t figure out.....rye maybe? Bold hoppiness in the flavor with a sweet caramel backbone. Finish is dry and bitter. Flavor lacks some complexity, but still a darn respectable beer....as long as you like hops.

MarkBarnes (418) - Waterville, New York, USA - FEB 24, 2006
Feb. 24, 2006; 22 oz. "bomber"

I’ve liked everything I’ve tried from this brewery so far, and this "hop-head’s" delight is no exception. Dark, hazy red/amber. Hops dominate, but their influence is tempered by some sweet malts. The bitterness long outlasts the other elements though, making it seem stronger than 6.8% ABV -- and it’s sure to give the uninitiated taster a "bitter beer face!"

beervana (781) - Libertyville, Illinois, USA - FEB 13, 2006
(02.09.06) One pint, 6 fl oz brown bottle purchased from DiCarlo’s, Libertyville, IL. 6.8% ABV. Clear dark red amber hued Scottish ale having a small white head. Intense caramel and hop aromas. Medium bodied that starts with light malt sweetness and caramel/fruity/hop flavors. Some sharpness and hop bitterness develops in the middle. Finishes with light lingering bitterness. Smooth. Well-balanced. Nice firm malt foundation to support the hop bite. Simply delicious.

shadey (2125) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 12, 2006
Dark ruby red color with lasting white creamy head. Big hop/malt aroma. Smelling is very enticing. I know this gonna be a good brew!! Flavor is almost nutty malt and big full, well-developed hops. Big strong body and a very nice finish. A beautiful beer that easy very easy to drink.

Vac (2445) - San Diego, California, USA - FEB 9, 2006
POurs with a deep red-brown body topped by a thin head with lots of lacing. It’s sweet and malty but bitter and hoppy. Full of contrasting flavors. Some caramel shows through as well as a nice grapefruit and pine note. Medium to full bodied and smooth.