RATINGS: 33   MEAN: 3.72/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.64/5   IBU: 33   EST. CALORIES: 285   ABV: 9.5%
Don’t be fooled by this innocent beast. Handcrafted by the Bear Republic Brewing Team this Belgian Brown incorporates a trifecta of sugars including our homemade candied syrup. Wild and untamed this full bodied beer starts out sweet and finishes with notes of cloves and nutmeg. Enjoy in moderation; tread lightly!

kp (10882) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUL 19, 2009

Date: July 11, 2009
Mode: Draft
Source: Brewpub
Appearance: clear dark brown, frothy beige head
Aroma: smokey chocolate aroma
Flavor: sweet caramel and chocolate flavor, nice smoke, light bitterness
Aroma: 6/10; Appearance: 7/10; Flavor: 6/10; Palate: 6/10; Overall: 12/20
Rating: 3.1/5.0
Drinkability: 7/10
Score: *4

IrishBoy (4185) - Bakersfield, California, USA - JUL 17, 2009
Draft at the pub on the RBSG Bus Tour. Nose was smoky, caramel, and molasses. Black with a medium beige head. Flavor was lightly smoky and sweet, with a background note of smoked salmon.

fidel (1302) - Livermore, California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
Poured dark brown @ brewery, sweet, smooth, grainy, molasses, malty, litlle dark fruits.

JohnC (3008) - Mission Viejo, California, USA - JUL 13, 2009
I sampled this at the brewpub during RBSG 2009. Nice dark brown pour with interesting flavors of nutmeg, molasses and brown sugar, this beer is unique. I really liked the flavor, but there’s no way that I could drink a pint of it. It is definitely a sipper.

dchmela (3062) - Orlando, Florida, USA - JUL 8, 2009
Sampled at the brew pub. Dense dark brown pour. Roasted grain, brown sugar, molasses aroma. Taste is smooth thick malt, brown sugar and Xmas spices. Finishs nice and clean. This was very good.

RollinHard (1024) - Fort Worth, Texas, USA - JUN 23, 2009
Hot damn, this was good. This beer, despite the Belgian characteristics, puts their barley wine to SHAME when comparing thick, sipping beers. Dark brown pour with ruby highlights. Aroma of maple, fruit and brown sugar. Flavor of maple, caramel, brown sugar, raisin, and pear. Finishes with MORE maple, raisin, and toasty hops. Thick bodied, softer carbonation than the style usually dictates, nearly syrupy. This was awesome! Definitely my kind of beer. And it’s not over-hopped, yay! Get me a case please, if they ever bottle this.

nickd717 (4645) - San Francisco, California, USA - MAY 13, 2009
Tap at Bear Republic. Dark brown color with a substantial beige head. Nice lacing. Aroma of caramel malt, brown sugar, and dark fruits. Sweet caramel malt on the flavor with dark fruits, spices, banana, and a little slight roast. Alcohol noticeable. Smooth, fairly full palate. One of the better beers I had on this trip to B-Rep.

Pawola22 (3262) - Woodridge, Illinois, USA - MAY 4, 2009
On tap at the Flying Saucer in KC for their 1st anniversary party. Pours a deep brown body with some reddish tints. Thin, but very bubbly and lasting, light khaki brown colored head that leaves a lot of lacing. Aroma is quite nice and very complex. At first, a lot of molasses, caramel malts, and brown sugar jump out, but a smell later, lots of dried fruit, smoke, and bubble gum come through. After continuous sniffing, I get some chocolate, toffee, and noticeable cloves and nutmeg. Very interesting aroma that I’m liking more and more. The flavor is just as mind boggling. There is a lot going on here. With my first sip I get a lot of molasses and maltiness with a distinct brown sugar and caramel taste, but with my second taste, I get more berries, roast, chocolate, licorice, and a very light and sweet booze taste. Just to throw me off even more, I get hints of Belgian yeast and more of the clove and nutmeg spicing from the aroma. Finishes very smooth with a banana-nutmeg, roasty-chocolate lingering taste. Damnit, theres even some smoke in there too. Palate is full and thick, slightly syrupy, and does not drink like a 9.5% ABV beer. Overall, I am a big fan of this. There is so much going on with nothing ever sticking out. Wow, I am perplexed. Belgian stong ale? More like a big brown with some belgian characteristics. Whatever they want to classify this as, its damn good!

TimE (5793) - Tokyo, JAPAN - MAY 1, 2009
On tap at Bulldog. The waitresses were insisting on only halves or ’regular’ sized servings. No Pints. They freaked when I did order a regular and then a Pint. Of course I regretted it the next day, but man, this big malt, molasses filled brew is dangerously drinkable. Smooth, touches of chocolate and brown sugar. It is very deceptive and numerous non-beer geeks in our group got quit loopy. Loved this stuff. Will seek out again.

Strykzone (7306) - Wood River, Illinois, USA - APR 26, 2009
Enjoyed on tap at The Stable. This is as big a brown ale as I can remember having. It looks quite distinctive with a big thick head on a dark caramel colored body. Aroma is sweet with brown sugar and caramel along with some fruit. Flavor is also quite sweet with lots of alcohol noted. Plenty of sugary caramel. Too high of an ABV is a drawback for me but lovers of bigger beers will enjoy this one.