overall
Brewed by Beau's Brewing Co.
Style: Spice/Herb/Vegetable
Vankleek Hill, Canada

RATINGS: 139   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   SEASONAL: Winter   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
This strong & dark beer, inspired by the Alfred bog, is our very first seasonal offering. Featuring bog myrtle, or sweet gale, harvested from the wilds of northern Quebec. This ancient herb was used in brewing hundreds of years ago and offers bitterness, a sweet aroma and herbal spicy notes.

Slacks (615) - Bolton, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 31, 2008
Draught @ beerbistro: Dayna’s Beer of the Moment, and highly recommended by our server. He gave us the whole background on the bog myrtle and we couldn’t resist. Comes quite dark, red in colour, decent foamy off-white head. Aroma was complex with lots of spice, to be honest I had no notepad and I chased it with a few more, so trying to remember the subtle nuances ain’t happenin’. I can tell you that the flavour was quite nice, very reminiscent of Maudite, but with no aftertaste to speak of. Quick hit of bitterness on the tongue, but quickly makes way for a nice subtle sweetness, slight watery, lots of spice and pepper. It’s actually very interesting and our entire party of three all enjoyed it thoroughly. Good work, guys!

shintriad (701) - Toronto, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 9, 2008
I got a bottle of ceramic swing-tops from the back of the brewer’s truck, so I guess I’ll be the first to rate it! This is a highly unusual beer, and I don’t really have a frame of reference for it. Dark red with a huge, foamy head. Definitely a funky, herbal, and spicy characteristic to the aroma: a lot of people detected nutmeg, but there was also an earthy, forest-floor note to it. The flavour is extremely mild and "short": you get a quick shot of malty sweetness with some of those spice and leafy flavours, almost like Dr. Pepper...but this beer was unusual in that it not only has very little in the way of finish, I didn’t notice much of a middle. Maybe sweet gale had a numbing effect on my tongue. All in all, a pleasant drink and an interesting experiment. A good session beer to share.